Thread: path of learning

path of learning

I'm strictly speaking of internal martial arts in this case. Say I like x style (haven't figured out x yet, bcuz i have yet to try out more families of tai chi and bagua) out of all 3. Should I train and just focus on x, branch out and practice all 3, etc.? I am wondering what path you guys prefer, and why? Or otherwise have suggestions, and yes, my sifu knows all 3 (including several families of tai chi), so i have the opportunity just can't learn them at the same time.
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

not totally shure

what you are trying to get across...but if I understand right...

Stick with whatever you can most of or all. don't learn a bunch of half arts. I mean you don't want a musician that knows the basics of 20 instruments (most of the time) you want some one who knows 1-2 excellent. Maybe pick you teachers favorite to teach, sometimes you'll get a lot more out of that. But out of everything, do what comes natural and stick with it.
    My personal pref. is ba gua first. One, because my teacher seems to enjoy teaching it more than hsing-i (I haven't seen him teach the tai chi class). Two, cause it was my personal pref., and cause I can get more classes in a week.

Use spirit and logic.... bring it before your God (Buddha, Jesus, Anna Nicole Smith...you know the basics.)
    thanx
    Last edited by hairywhiteguy; 10-13-2002 at 05:08 PM.

I'll try to clarify what I mean. I learned of 3 ways that people tend to learn martial arts. 1) Learn and focus on one art hoping to master it. 2) Gather what you feel is the best of multiple styles to make a hybrid art. 3) Learn multiple styles and keep them seperate until free-fighting. Which way do you guys prefer and why? Or any other suggestions or help relating to the path of learning?
    Let people make mistakes; it's the easiest way to learn and remember what not to do.

Method one, but choose that art carefully. Once you have developed basic skills, then widen your practice. Cross training is inevitable, but your better served if you develp basic skills first as a foundation.
    Last edited by Walter Joyce; 10-15-2002 at 01:40 PM.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

Don't ask us.

Ask your SIFU.

I can't disagree with the "ask your sifu" advice, but then that could be said about 95% of the questions on this board, thus negating the need for the board in the first place.

I think #1 is the way to go, but I fall into catagory 3. Not that I have any regrets, but my curiosity (and perhaps A.D.D. ) often gets the better of me. I really enjoy learning new material and approaching fighting from new perspectives. Ultimately, however, I think it's important to buckle down and know your style, whichever you choose.

I go with #4:

I am taking one art (Yang Style Taijiquan) and that is my preferred art, however I study other internal arts because I find they are all point at the same thing. For example in taking Chen style I found a couple "pieces to the puzzle" that are part of but not well developed in my Yang Style. I then bring those pieces back into Yang Style. I am not creating a hybrid, simply developing the form and my training. I have found tid-bits and pieces to the taiji puzzle in Ki Aikido, Pa Kua, Chen style, and Mike Sigman's workshop - when possible I talk with internal martial artist and teachers to learn (figure out) more.

~ Eric Putkonen

"I'll try to clarify what I mean. I learned of 3 ways that people tend to learn martial arts. 1) Learn and focus on one art hoping to master it. 2) Gather what you feel is the best of multiple styles to make a hybrid art. 3) Learn multiple styles and keep them seperate until free-fighting. Which way do you guys prefer and why? Or any other suggestions or help relating to the path of learning?"
    ~ Eric Putkonen
    (Teaching Tai Chi Chuan in Plymouth, Minnesota)

I'd agree with most what most of kinda said. I would vote to pick one and practice that otherwise it would just be too confusing if you tried to do more than one at once. Maybe if you already had a foundation in one then perhaps 2 at most.. but otherwise it's like the analogy of playing many instruments but mastering none. I guess it ultimately depends on what's your reason for training.

A.

Actually, Waidan, I don't disagree with you about the 95% stuff.

However in this case, iron thread has definitely stated that his sifu offers all this stuff. We here at KFO have not yet heard what the sifu has to say about this.

The reason I say this now is because as a sifu who teaches more than one style, I sit my students down and tell them that they have free choice to study more than one method under me if they wish. I offer classes in different methods, and students are free to come to just one or ALL of them if they see fit.

Who knows, the sifu might have a similar proposition in which an enrolled student can study anything he wants for one basic sum (that's how I do things at my school)? Or maybe he charges a certain amount for each class, thereby constraining iron thread's budget. Perhaps this sifu does insist on one style per student - and iron thread is complaining to us about that because he can't complain directly to his own sifu.

The point is that we at KFO don't know the whole situation yet - and perhaps ironfirst doesn't either. As a sifu, I SIT DOWN my students and make it clear what their choices are. If iron thread's sifu hasn't sat him down and done that yet, then it's making things a lot harder on both iron thread AND the sifu.
    Last edited by HuangKaiVun; 10-16-2002 at 04:37 PM.

Well, at my school we can study many different skills: Wing Chun Kuen, Chen Taijiquan, Dayan Qigong, Hard Qigong and Northern Shaolin.

We can do any Qigong for health, but only one of the MA skills to start with. Personally i tried both and talked with Sifu and he advised me on what he thought was better for me as my foundation.

i would trust his judgement as he has been studying all the skills for a while and also can get to know u better before making the decision.

good luck

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.