Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A (modern) drummer has a skill useful in Kung Fu

A (modern) drummer has a skill useful in Kung Fu

The ability to move all four limbs both independently and cohesively with respect to one another.

Being a drummer also helped with boxing sometimes. It makes it heaps easier to fight with broken rhythm or 1-2-flurry-1 type punching. I also reckon it'd be good with Capoeira
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

by that logic, people who can drive a standard car have kung fu skill.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

hmm

I drummed for many years. The thing I found that helped me the most was that I was FAST and more fluid naturally in kung fu as a result. When going around the drum set doing solos forces you to have relaxed speed. If you tense you get tired really quickly and your speed and rythm is seriously hindered, its the same way with kung-fu.

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

Difference between stick shift and drums is a drummer has to move his/her body around depending on the size of the set, while a driver keeps one hand on the wheel, one hand on the stick, one on the clutch and one on the gas or break.
    I have a signature.

Elvin Jones would whup Geddy Lee like a punk ass b!tch.

Or at least, I'd rather listen to Elvin Jones that almost anybody else. I'd rather clean my ears with a taser than listen to Geddy Lee.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Why do you think we spend so much time learning how to play music.. of an African (rhythm-dependent, instead of tone-dependent) form with lots of broken or adjusted polyrhythms?
    "Freedom is the ability to move in any direction the mind can imagine" -Mestre No

To impress chicks with your dance moves?
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

I've never played the drumbs. In Junior High I did the Tuba.
    I have a signature.

Hey Great....

Originally posted by straight blast
    Being a drummer also helped with boxing sometimes. It makes it heaps easier to fight with broken rhythm or 1-2-flurry-1 type punching. I also reckon it'd be good with Capoeira
    He He... i'm drumming now for almost 16 years... i'll say this at my next fight : "Hey stop - I'm drumming for 16 years".

I think dave lambardo (slayer) will kick everybodys butt - fast and a very good technican.

So long

June
    http://www.mp3.com/misbegotten

lol yea , billy cobham - supreme fist.....

I think it helped me with my hand speed, I found although im quite tall i can keep up when doing speed drills and the like in kung fu.

I dont have as much experiance as WT cos hes being drumming since I was 1 year old ..... lol, i've been doing it for about 4 years
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

Smile

I practice Roy Haynes fist.
    Four limb coordination takes a lot of practice, much more complicated than driving a car. I find it helps my gong fu alot. The ability to have each limb doing something different and being balanced makes many things easier.
    P.S. Everyone thinks they can play the drums until they actually try to do it. Kind of like fighting.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

yea im with u there guohuen
    Visit the Site -
    www.buddha-fist.com

It's sort of offtopic, but tabla drummers are astounding. I've seen Zakir Hussein in concert about 3-4 times, and he does more with just his fingers than some guys do with all four limbs.

Wackiest drum I know of: the "Ghatam" from the south of India. It's a clay pot/tube you smack one rim of with your fingertips, and push or depress your belly into the other side to change the size of the cavity and thus the pitch of the tone. Probably the easiest place to hear them is on a John McLaughlin with Shakti record called "Remember Shakti, the Believer" with V. Selvaganesh on the Ghatam. And Zakir Hussein as a bonus.

Anyway, you don't always need to use your feet to play drums well - but sometimes breath control don't hurt.
    Crippled Avenger

First of all, CSN, don't be dissing Geddy Lee. Die Meistersinger. NOT! but as a band they rocked, and Neil Peart is the guy with the bad-ass double bass drum setup.

I grew up with a friend who is an accomplished professional jazz drummer. What he has learned to do is amazing. He almost always beats me in tennis and basketball, even though he is unathletic. It's partly psychological. I think it has something to do with his hand coordination.

But the point I'm trying to make is having awareness in all four limbs, something that I can't get straight. If I'm concentrating on both hands, I forget my footwork. If I concentrate on footwork and one hand, I lose awareness of the other. This brings to mind one of the Praying Mantis qigong exercises I learned where you have three limbs moving in three different directions. It's to build your awareness.

Even if you've ever played the piano, you'll know what I'm talking about. At my level, if I concentrate on one hand, I might be able to play something, but with both hands, it becomes more difficult. Yet good pianists use two hands and a foot without thinking too hard.

I wonder if all the Sil lum tao practice I'm doing is detrimental in the following regard: We put our concentration into one point of the body and lead our chi (awareness) to that point. But when you're fighting bare-handed, you want to have awareness throughout your whole body, especially your moving parts.