Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Li Jing Lin, Li Kim Lam, Wudang Sword Master

Li Jing Lin, Li Kim Lam, Wudang Sword Master

Hi guys, here Horacio Di Renzo, kung fu teacher from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I want to ask you if anyone has some information about this important master, he taught Ku Yu Cheung and Woo Van Cheuk among others, his tai chi chuan and / or his Wudang Sword knowledge.
    Can anyone help me with some link - book - article about him? Thanks a lot in advance.
    Horacio Di Renzo
    Asociacion Kai Men Kung Fu -Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Formal Student of GM Chan Kowk Wai
    http://www.kaimen.com.ar

If you have the opportunity to study with someone who knows Wudang sword then definetely do so. It is an excellent form and style.

Kai Men:

If you go to the sword forum, there are some postings under Chinese Sword section, Yang taiji Jian history.

I posted some things from the old Chen Style Journal.

Li Jing Lin learned his wudang taiji sword techniques from Song Wei Yi who supposedly learned from a daoist in the mountains (not too comfortable with that, everyone seems to have a hidden daoist in the mountain).

Chen Weiming, disiciple of Yang Cheng Fu, in his sword book, tells of Li Jing Lin teaching him some of the sword fighting techniques and exercises that Yang Cheng Fu had not taught. Chen indicates that Li Jing Lin's sword is indeed a taiji sword.

If you find any other info, please post.

Thanks.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Thanks a lot for your info! I have read that the "obscure Taoist Monk" name is Jang Ye He. I will go to the sword forum, hope to read a bit more about your tale on Chen wei Ming's experience.
    thanks again
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

Li Jinglin

Kai men, I've read that Li Jinglin met Wang Xiangzhai (founder of yiquan) in Tianjin around 1911 and was defeated by him. Li was armed with his sword while Wang was barehanded..
    Here's the link (chinese) http://jkd-kl.51.net/index-da1.htm

Well, to tell you the truth I couldn't understand a word ;-) it is in chinese! and I can't read chinese. But anyway, it seems that everybody had defeated him jajajjaa. The same is told about Chen Wei Ming, Yang chen Fu, a Hsuay CHiao Master, and so on. It only tells me about how valuable it was considered to defeat him.
    Thanks a lot
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

No offense, but beating up on Li Jing Lin seems to be a favorite past-time among various famous martial artists.

Yang Cheng Fu supposedly beat him at the sword;
    Chang Tung Sheng supposedly beat him at pushing hands using Shuai Jiao and Li Jing Lin then taught him his Yang's taijiquan.

Now we find an yiquan master who beats him, too.

For a guy that was so famous, he sures gets beat up a lot!

Li Jing Lin was a top warlord of the Hebei Province and often invited masters to teach his troops and learn from.

Doesn't raise an eyebrow does it?
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Kai Men:

You beat me by seconds in responding.

Something just doesn't sound right.

Li Jing Lin died at about 47 or 49.

The Li family is still around and Li De Yin has been writing on the history of martial arts.

Maybe someone in their family can shed lights on all of these defeats.

Thanks a lot RAF. In fact I have found good info in the sword forum.
    About who beat who, it doesn't really matter. all the kung fu world is full of this kind of stories, the winner depending on who is the teller.
    Kindest regards to everyone,
    horacio
    Horacio Di Renzo

Hi Raf,

I agree that it shows a lot that so many people need to say that they've defeated Li Jinglin. I'd never heard these, though.

"Li Jinglin met Wang Xiangzhai (founder of yiquan) in Tianjin around 1911 and was defeated by him. Li was armed with his sword while Wang was barehanded. "

That would be the equivalent of someone saying that they barehandedly bested Li Shuwen with his spear.

And, you mentioned the one about Chang Tungshen. It sounds really unusual that someone beats someone else, then takes lessons from that person. No that it couldn't happen, but it'd be sort of unusual.

Respects,
    Esteban

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    not so unusual; one of my training partners, and close friend became so after soundly mopping the floor with me. I've been getting my arse kicked by him for almost 20 yrs, now. And no, I ain't tellin.

Don't you ever wonder why old Chen Fake, Chen Zhaokui, Yang Cheng Fu and all the other taiji players, living around the same time period, didn't get together and have one big tournament to find out just who was the best?

I think the actual history of these artists would be as interesting as the stories we hear of them.

Good nite and sweet dreams!

Search the Shaolin forum

Li Jin Ling is part of the Bak Sil Lum lineage so he comes up frequently there. Here's one thread that just came up again recently - http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...threadid=12503
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

RAF,
    Think how bad it would have been for the businesses of the losers in that dream match.
    The more one sweats in times of peace, the less one bleeds in times of war.

Gene Ching:

Thanks for that post, it really opens up a lot for me. The defeat of Li Jing Lin by Yang Chien Hou rather than Yang Cheng Fu makes more sense since Chen Weiming readily admits being taught by Li Jing Lin.

Walter:

I was just wondering aloud! Hmmmm, so they built their reputations upon beating up lessers rather than equals.

You know, if two equals challenge there is a good chance both will survive and both be damaged beyond repair and in the long run, no one wins!