Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Body Size in Mantis

Body Size in Mantis

Curious as to what your opinions are about what you have noticed about the size of mantis practitioners vs their ability to perform the art. I am of a relatively large frame-size & I personaly find that most things work very well for me, but what about you other practitioners?
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

size

Size is good when it is time to slam.
    But I have seen little guys that could slam big guys while the big guys couldn't slam the lttle guys.
    But that is more difficult level to attain.

Shorter people often, not always, but often have a higher strength to weight ratio. Like they can lift a higher percentage of their body weight.

So they can jump and evade easier for this reason. That is good in fighting and also in forms.

Size

I am also of a relatively large frame-size, compared to my fellow cohort. Maybe this is being hyper-critical, but I feel that my smaller brothers have grasped forms, power-generation, and technique quicker because of their size. Also, as a larger person, I tend carry more tension, because I'm usaully able to out muscle my sparring partner due to size.

I know that it always more shades of gray to form, etc, than just size. My sifu is not quite as large as I, but bigger than most of his students as well. I think his good, solid PM teacher with great ability, techinque, and form. Also, Fan Xu Dong and LGY were reputed big men, so there may be hope.

One thing, though, that is definitely to, at least, my advantage is rooting. Executing any of the PM throws, I believe I have an easier time with than a smaller person because, with good stance/footwork, its hard for many to fight my momentum.

Mantis9

I'm super small - and super quick.

Just because I'm small doesn't mean that I can't take hits, though I can't issue as much brute force as larger opponents do from a leverage and bodymass perspective.

However, Mantis is a style that emphasizes NASTY techniques. The Mantis practitioner ought to be able to hurt a much larger opponent with a barrage of well-placed moves.

When I fight Mantis, I use my Monkey step. I leap in and try to tear out my opponent's vitals. I climb up guys or slip through them. Bodyslamming them is not my main concern.

Mantis needn't rely on brute size and strength. If anything, my small size has been an ADVANTAGE.

Stacey Guest
    smaller people understand power generation

because they have to. Bigger people can get away with less connection.

As I have gotten stronger, the body needs to adjust to the new weight and so you get sluggish. I wouldn't lose weight though. Mantis is complete and you don't need to adapt for it.

There will be differences in technique preference, but really it depends more on the intelligence and fortitude of the practitioner.

There are no "Naturals" Aptitude will help, but in the long run, its mental quickness and relaxed poise.

How large is large frame? 6 foot 200 lbs? how small is small size 5 foot 2 110 lbs?
    Dream it's own existence in one single final word

Jotun

Im a pretty big guy ( 6'3" and 250 pounds), and i find that a fair amount of techniques would work well for me except that I believe I do not have the speed to execute them in a combat situation. What good is lots of power if you cannot hit your opponent? But i am still new to martail arts in general and am hoping that speed will come in time.

Jotun,...I am 6'3', 300lbs. That would be a large frame. There are larger ones of course, but for tha sake of this thread, lets say;
    6' -up & 230&up as large framed. 5'6"-5'11" med. & 0-5"5"small.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Something else as well: I find it funny that so many equate size with strength. Most smaller people are stronger just because of muscle density & leverage. I would not be the Mantis guy flinging several kicks or doing sweeps at you just because of centrifugal force & the time it would take to perform the action. However, punches & other hand techniques, short quick kicks & throws & I can perform just as fast as most.
    I know a lot of things.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I am glad you brought this up. I belive being of small size can be an advantage to a mantis fighter. The system is full of techiques that a smaller fighter can use to overcome a larger apponent. As a smaller mantis fighter I know in general I am faster then most off the larger students in the class. I also think my smaller size allows me to be a little more agility then the larger mantis fighter.
    MadMantis
    www.mantiskungfu.bravepages.com

One thing I have noticed was that it seems like the smaller guys look better doing their forms.... Im kinda on the bigger side when it comes to being an Asian. My Si Hing looks more compact when he does his forms and kicks..... just my 2 cents. that or i suck real bad

hi hungry

i understand that point of view. My good friend that got me into mantis has often said the same thing. I think a smaller person the stances look a look tighter.
    MadMantis

Stacey Guest
    it was invented by malnourished chinese in 3rd world environments. These weren't cornfed linebackers.

Mantis size

hi stacey

Responding to prev post. Over the past four mths i have been working hard to reduce my weight. I feel that at a lesser weight i would be more quick and agile. I have lost a total of 17 pounds now it hasn't really helped my technique or speed but I have notice improved stamina. Which allows me to train for longer periods. Strength i believe and hope I have not lost to much as a result of losing weight. Do belive with training kung fu it is as equally important to ingage in some type of cardio and strength program. Or do think practicing the forms are good enough for the fitness component of my training?
    MadMantis

cardio/forms

Madmantis
    Our cardio is in our forms, if you do a from a couple of times properley you will feel good. You do one of the longer forms once linke 1st set,or Praying Mantis steps out of the cave over and over you will know all about stamina and endurance.
    Practice for an hour everyday trust me.
    And if you want throw running/jogging in there.

Bigger doesnt necessarily mean better at the forms either, it all depends on how YOU personaly move that size around. There is a huge guy in our class 6'4 230 pounds and he does teh forms wicked. he is agile and can move his weight. Then there have been smaller people that cant move their size around well so it all matters on the person. Size can help but its far from being everything.
    Last edited by grifter721; 10-17-2002 at 10:42 PM.