Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fighting style for law enforcement?

Question Fighting style for law enforcement?

Question: What's the most "practical" fighting style for someone in law enforcement?

Background: 30 year-old former Marine, 6'2 215#s, gearing up for Sheriff's Academy and career in law enforcement.

Current opinion: Due to the nature of the job, I anticipate that most problems that occur will be when trying to "cuff" an unwilling individual, so I would think that the "goal" would be to physically subdue the perp if need be until the proper metallic/plastic restraints can be applied. Current/former law enforcement professionals with any relevant data/experience in this area are more then welcome to sound off as I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jmannix; 10-15-2002 at 04:04 PM.

Aiki training will help with the manipulation when handcuffing.
    BJJ training helps alot when the fight goes to the ground and thats where most departments train officers to take 'combative' persons into custody.
    Kung Fu or Chinese MA will help when the threat is active and throwing puches.
    The real decision will be determined by the department policy and opinion on use of force.
    To be truly efficient as a LEO you must cross train. No one MA does it all.

Prosser

Hey jmannix,

One of our Wing Chun Instructors in Melbourne is a Constable of some sort within the Australian Police department.

I've also known a few police officers go through our school as well.

Not saying that WC is the be all and end all, but something you may want to check out.

Most schools do free trials/cheap intro offers. Go check out a few in your area.

Hope you find it.

Neurotic
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

Thumbs up

Letīs see what I know them to have done/and what they do:
    aikido (as previously mentioned.Good points include smaller risk of injury which might be even proven,and great controlling methods.Only art taught to japanese riot police and taught for law enforcement/security forces worldwide)
    Jujutsu (has been used in law enforcement for a significant amount I think)
    Hapkido (nice,well-rounded korean art used by bodyguards,military and law enforcement,in korea and out)
    Hwa rang do (Another korean art,slightly similar,less known,harder to find but again,used for previously mentioned purposes)

And then there is one independent japanese MA which it based on law enforcement purposes alone,it includes techniques from various martial arts (canīt remember the name)
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I believe FC is referring to Taihojutsu, a Japanese eclectic police martial art that combines elements of aikido, judo, and karate.

Hojojutsu is the Japanese art of binding and restraining prisoners with cord. This may be somewhat applicable if you ever have to detain somebody when you are without cuffs for one reason or another. For police use, some of the knots are WAY too dangerous (as in potentially lethal).
    Monkey vs. Robot

Thumbs up

Stranger,
    thanks for bringing it up,it might very well have been taihojutsu (I rely on your information so I wonīt be checking it out)

Iīve heard of hojojutsu one time I think.
    Quite a bizarre art,there were some pictures of their...uh techniques on www,probably very hard to track down as an art but considerable in a way I guess.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Don Angier, Soke of Yanagi Ryu, has a two-tape series on the topic of hojojutsu. They are available through www.bugei.com
    Monkey vs. Robot

Check out Jing Quan Dao

It's a modern Chinese military police style, very practical stuff - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/milpolvid.html
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

my teacher is a prison guard in a maximum security prison. The style we are taught is called kuosho, but it's basically kung fu and boxing in the begining and then jujitsu and chin-na at the end. that is, the general point is to get to the chin na (joint lock). I would go to a generic self-defense class and ask around there, tell them what you want. My teacher does those like teaches women to defend themselvs and stuff. He claims he can use his handcuffs like nunchuks but I've yet to see him do it

Originally posted by Stranger
    I believe FC is referring to Taihojutsu, a Japanese eclectic police martial art that combines elements of aikido, judo, and karate.

The Japanese riot police used to have to train a year of intensive Yoshinkan aikido (as in 'Angry White Pajamas') and of kendo. Nowadays they can choose one or the other. Taihojutsu is not so much a defined system of martial arts, but does, as you pointed out contain basic elements of other martial arts. It seems pretty much like your average mixed bag of self-defence techniques from down your local community centre.

The riot police in the UK and Holland (the only ones I know for sure... and I don't know so much about the 'regulars') are taught basic aiki techniques and counters, including those incorporating side-handle batons, telescopic batons and short sticks...
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Here's another one we carry

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The US Ju-Jitsu Federation runs a Taiho Jutsu program. It is post certified in some states.

Check out the information on it at:

http://www.usjujitsu.net/info/us_taiho_jutsu.htm

Considering your large size and experience as a Marine, I would imagine you really only have one or two things that are likely benifited readily by training. You already mentioned the most obvious (upright grappling use in apprehension). This ties in well with ground-grappling. The suggestions are not bad; I'd recommend a Jujitsu / Sambo art equally. Systema has some appeal here for slightly different reasons.

The second real problem spot would be an armed attacker at close range. Avoiding the knife long enough to shoot becomes the goal (and personal weapon retention). That's going to depend more on instructor than art. I've seen some good people in some Silats, JKD, and Fairbran / Applegate stuff. I'm sure that the police dept / Sheriff's dept will put a god deal of time into training that.

Also, ask around. Often as not there is a school manyof them attend. Oddly, this is not always a good school (theone here isn't) but you will get plenty of opportunity to interact with fellow officers / deputies on their experiences.
    http://www.clearsilat.com

www.cdt-training.com

May we beat the **** out of each other and be friends.
    Peace.

15. hmm

I believe there are many systems that will do the trick and that no style would be better than the other....

Nowadays you also hear a lot about Krav Maga which came from the Israelian army.
    It IS very effective, but if you are trained in ANY system AND know how to fight... you will get to the same point as them KM dudes...

I will put some selfdefense against armed attackers on my site soon, just to show that kung fu will work in the same way when it comes to serious selfdefense situations....

(Visit www.selini108.com to see what I mean )

conclusion: find a style that "suits" you, that you like to train, that fits your age and body mechanics and train!!! and remember that you will have to learn to put it all into combat and selfdefense applications...

Have fun, train hard!!

Chief108
    @ selini108 you can get a FREE copy of the 5 Leopards Fist form as taught in our Eagle Claw curriculum!!!