Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fighting style for law enforcement?

My first week in Florida I got pulled over for an expired tag by this rookie cop. Really enthusiastic guy, first week out on patrol by himself. "Did you know your tag expired on January 1st?" was the first thing he asked me. I explained to him that in the Georgia tag system (at that time) tags did expire at the first of the year but that there was a 5-month renewal period, and that you could not renew your tag until your "number" came up. In my case, March (still a month away).

The cop shows me the back of my registration and says, "Yeah, but it says it expires, right here! I saw it this morning when I pulled over somebody else from Georgia."

I went, "Yeah, but did you see the paragraph under it? The one that explains the renewal procedure?" His eyes just glazed over and he said, "That doesn't matter. I've pulled over like, 40 people today and they're ALL expired! Isn't that something!"

Took the ticket to court and the judge threw it out. He said I was probably the hundredth Georgia driver he'd seen that week.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

ewallace, OK, you've tried a Krispy Kreme, and that's all that matters. My boyfriend doesn't like them either (he calls them Krispy Kritters). To each his own, I guess.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

ttt 4 2021

Bucks County Law Enforcement Officials Studying Martial Arts As Non-Lethal Use Of Force To Protect Communities
    By CBS3 Staff
    February 22, 2021 at 12:26 pm

BUCKS COUNTY, Pa. (CBS) — Law enforcement officials in Bucks County are studying martial arts as a non-lethal use of force while protecting their communities. Eyewitness News was at MPR Endurance Mixed Martial Arts Studio in Lancaster Monday, where officers viewed a demonstration of techniques to use when dealing with situations when force is needed.

The event was organized by Philadelphia City Councilman David Oh, who is a martial arts instructor.

Last post here 2002. Thread necromancy FTW.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Notable stats

How one police agency used martial arts to reduce use-of-force injuries

By: Melissa BlasiusPosted at 10:42 PM, Jun 10, 2021 and last updated 2:52 PM, Jun 11, 2021

A Georgia police department is rethinking policing by requiring officers to undergo martial arts training in an effort to reduce injuries during arrests.

Marietta officers are learning Brazilian jiu-jitsu, which uses grappling tactics, like body leverage moves and submission holds, not punches or strikes.

The police department shared body-cam videos with ABC15 showing on-duty takedowns. The officers get people under control quickly and physically but without injury. The department credits Brazilian jiu-jitsu training.

"You're now walking into it with a sense of confidence that I know I can take this person to the ground and restrain them until help arrives," said Officer Chuck McPhilamy, a spokesman for the Marietta Police Department.

For Marietta, their turning point was in 2019 after a viral video showed their officers in a violent encounter in an IHOP restaurant. They pile on, punch, and taser Renardo Lewis.

As police leadership looked to reduce levels of force in future situations, a major in the department suggested Brazilian jiu-jitsu. The major and several other officers were already doing the training on their own, and he had previously pitched the idea of offering it to all officers.

Since then, all new Marietta officers must train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu for several months. Existing officers are also encouraged to go.

According to Marietta police, in 2020, they compared officers who knew Brazilian jiu-jitsu to officers without training. They calculated:

48% reduction of injuries to officers using force
    53% reduction of injuries to the person being arrested when force was required
    23% reduction of the use of Tasers
    They also noticed something about police behavior.

"A lot of officers tend to go up and scale on their use-of-force because of the fact that they don't have that conditioning or because they don't have that training," said Marietta Sgt. Ray Figueroa.

The city pays for the classes and the officers' time.

"The city has discovered that even at all of those costs," Officer McPhilamy said, "it pales in comparison to the savings that they're having."

McPhilamy noted workers' compensation savings for officers who are injured on duty.

ABC15 also spoke to Mike Lin, a retired Phoenix police officer who is also a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

"It helped me get out of situations," Lin said. "I believe it saved my life and even the subjects that I'm dealing with - their lives, as well."

Lin plans to offer free training to Valley officers at GD Jiu-Jitsu in Tempe later this year.

"Anytime you can add a new skill set to your job and your profession, it's going to make you a better police officer," Lin said.

Marietta police recommend other departments also try jiu-jitsu, but they say without an influential champion for the cause, it may be hard to convince others to commit to the initial investment.
    threads
    Fighting-style-for-law-enforcement
    For-Brazilian-Jujitsu-Practitioners
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My guess is that besides the use of baton, fighting style that has lot of grappling and wrestling techniques should be integrated into police martial art training. Take the case of a riot in 2019 Hong Kong, a female police sat on a rioter's back (not her neck) after subduing her, and waited for backup to take the rioter to the police station for processing.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Name:  20191204175716contentPhoto1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  75.3 KB
    Last edited by SteveLau; 06-27-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Guyana Police Force Martial Arts Academy

Mixed martial arts federation to provide official accreditation for police academy

Members of the GMMAF and GPFMA pose for a photo during the consultative process for local accreditation
    By Stabroek News November 19, 2021

The Guyana Mixed Martial Arts Federation (GMMFA) recently met with several members of the Guyana Police Force Martial Arts Academy (GPFMA) in a bid to provide the requisite official accreditation for the burgeoning disciplined service program. This was disclosed by a statement from the federation. According to the correspondence, “The Guyana Martial Arts Federation met with members of the Guyana Police Force Martial Arts Academy to provide the necessary accreditation to be officially recognized internationally for Mixed Martial Arts in Guyana.”

Present at the forum were Assistant Commissioner Clifton Hickens (Ag), GPFMA President, Sergeant Latayo Collins; GPFMA Coach, Troy Bobb; GMMFA President, Gavin Singh; Vice-President, Troy Phillips; and Sherwin Sandy, Executive Member (Marketing).

THERE'S MORE TO THIS STORY. TO UNLOCK:
    Not going to bother to unlock the rest of the story. If any of the rest of you care to, please be my guest.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jiu-jitsu training for police in New Jersey

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My thought is that Law enforcement needs a handfull (8 or 9, less than a dozen) of takedown techniques that an be applies from a large number of angles and are easy to get into position for.

There are a number of DVDs out there that address this very subject.

I found one years ago (cant remember the name), by some big name law enforcement trainer who summed it up into such a small system that any school can integrate it into their program.

To summ it up

1. Less is more. Less than that is even more.
    2. Simple, high percentage techniques. Must work almost all the time on anyone.
    3. Entire system can be taught in a 3 day all day training course and be functional at the end.

BJJ police training

An ex-ISU cop says martial arts training could lead to fewer mistakes on the job
    WGLT | By Sarah Nardi
    Published July 12, 2022 at 4:06 PM CDT

Courtesy
    /
    Jeremy Butler conducting a demonstration.
    Jeremy Butler grew up on the south side of Chicago. As a young Black man, he didn’t have entirely positive perceptions of the police. But as an undergrad at Illinois State University, Butler met Aaron Woodruff, the chief of ISU police department.

“We just had several conversations about the field of policing. And he felt that I would be a good fit for law enforcement,” Butler said of Woodruff. “So he essentially talked me into the idea of just considering it. And after a couple of conversations with him, I found myself at the police academy.”

Butler said he and Woodruff discussed the need for more representation in law enforcement to address frayed relations between minority communities and the police. After graduating from the police academy, Butler served for seven years on the ISU police force before leaving the field to pursue a Ph.D. in kinesiology.

Butler is now a professor at Judson University in Elgin. He’s combining his knowledge of kinesiology and policing with more than 20 years of martial arts experience to develop more effective control tactics for law enforcement. He has recently published a book called, "Stop Resisting: The Law Enforcement Officer's Guide to Proven Control Tactics, Less Lawsuits, and Building Community Trust Through Martial Arts."

Butler said police training often treats verbal de-escalation and physical control tactics as separate subjects. In Butler’s view, the two go hand-in-hand. Describing interactions between citizens and police that devolve into physical contact, Butler said, “I always felt that most of these encounters are going to start with the verbal interaction, and then they could go south. And now you have to get physical. So, why not teach that together?”

Butler sees the confidence and discipline that can be developed through martial arts as a way to counteract the inherently chaotic interactions police encounter on the streets.

“Oftentimes, we forget that police officers are human,” Butler said. "And, you know, mistakes happen when you when situations are tense and rapidly evolving.”

But by bolstering police training with time on the mats in a martial arts gym, Butler believes officers can better prepare themselves for unpredictable situations.

“As a professional, you have a responsibility to ensure that you're training sufficiently to prepare yourself for these situations so that we can minimize the frequency of these errors occurring,” he said.

Butler will be in Bloomington on July 23 to lead a seminar for law enforcement on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
    'Less Lawsuits'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oz & PRC

Guns and Kung Fu: Australia and China help militarize the Solomon Islands’ police force
    Police received new rifles, water cannons, and martial arts training
    Written by
    Mong Palatino
    Posted 10 November 2022 13:59 GMT

Australia donated 13 vehicles and 60 short barrel rifles to the Solomon Islands police. Photo from press statement published on the website of the Solomon Islands government
    As global superpowers vie for influence in the Pacific, the various types of assistance given by Australia and China to the Solomon Islands police have elicited questions and concern about their long-term geopolitical impact. Some citizens are worried that the trend toward “militarization” could turn the Solomon Islands into a “gun state.”

Under the Manasseh Sogavare government, the Solomon Islands broke diplomatic ties with Taiwan in 2019. Since then, China has boosted its aid and investments in the archipelago as it vowed to foster closer ties with the Solomon Islands.

Early this year, a leaked security pact between the two countries raised alarm about its destabilizing impact in the region. Solomon Islands Prime Minister Sogavare has repeatedly denied that the security partnership will lead to the installation of a Chinese military base in the islands. He insisted that China only offered to help in the training of the local police force.

Solomon Islands sent police officers to China to undergo training, which involved the teaching of martial arts. This was reported by Global Times, a state-run news website. Zhang Guangbao, who is the leader of the China Police Liaison Team to the Solomon Islands, described the martial arts training:

We combined martial arts and grappling, and our local colleagues were very interested in it, because they of course all know Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. We taught them martial arts moves which they had never seen before.

China also sent replica guns to the Solomon Islands as part of its training assistance.

During the first week of November, the Solomon Islands received numerous police donations from Australia and China. Australia donated 60 Daniel’s Defense MK18 short Barrel Rifles and 13 police vehicles. Two days later, China donated 20 police vehicles, 30 motorcycles and two water cannon vehicles. China even presented a martial arts demonstration during the handover ceremony:

Opposition leader Matthew Wale noted that Australia and China are trying to outcompete each other through the militaristic donations:

He believes this does not benefit the country in the long run:

It is clear Australia is anxious that if they do not supply guns then China will. Geopolitical interests has surpassed national interest in this country and it is a sad state of affairs.

Prime Minister Sogavare argued the donations will enhance the capacity of the police:

To those who view the enhancement of our Police Force, in a negative lens, I wish to appeal to you, to note that it is the responsibility of the [police] to serve and protect the lives, welfare, liberty and property of all individuals in this country. To be unable to deliver on this mandate is a poor indication of a country’s own security capacity, as a Sovereign and Independent Country. We must have that capacity and not depend on others.

He added that a strong police force will be able to protect the country from threats:

Law and order is an enabler for development, and it is important that as a Sovereign State, we are able to better protect ourselves, deliver on our security mandates, and confront threats when it looms.

Some disagreed. Journalist Robert Iroga urged the government to focus on other aspects of governance as he warned against the possible negative consequences of arming the police with assault weapons:

It is not the power of one’s guns that determine a good government. Rather, it is the ability of a government to deliver opportunities and better livelihood to its people.

Perhaps for donors, Solomon Islands is a pawn in the broader geopolitical competition: one provides Kung Fu training and replica guns and the other tries out-compete with real assault weapons. In these times of hyper-geopolitical competition, the arming of police forces with assault weapons could result in dangerous outcomes in the future.
    Journalist Dorothy Wickham said the donation will entail additional expenses for the government:

She is also worried about how the intense rivalry in the Pacific could turn her country into a “gun state”:
    There a several embedded tweets in the original article that I didn't bother to cut&paste.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I do like those police issue chucks...

Denver deputy suspended for breaking inmate's wrist with nunchucks

The City of Denver banned the use of the nunchucks six months after a deputy applied too much pressure to an inmate’s wrist, causing a break.
    How to send tips to 9Wants to Know investigators

Author: Jeremy Jojola
    Published: 4:55 PM MST January 10, 2023
    Updated: 4:55 PM MST January 10, 2023

DENVER — Newly released discipline documents reveal that a Denver Sheriff Department deputy working at the city jail was suspended for three days after injuring in inmate with nunchucks in April 2021.
    According to the Denver Department of Public Safety documents that were dated Dec. 27, Deputy Daniel Rodriguez applied too much pressure to an inmate’s wrist using a device called the Orcutt Police Nunchaku (OPN).
    The documents describe an out-of-control inmate who was attempting to bite officers. The inmate might have been high on drugs, according to the records. The records also indicate the discipline decision wasn’t made until December 2022.
    “Deputy Rodriguez failed to exercise good judgment in applying increasingly greater pressure on the OPNs, despite being met with no indication from [the inmate] that he was sensing pain,” the documents say.
    A former law enforcement officer from Denver invented OPN devices in the 1980s, and since then, dozens of agencies across the country have used them as pain compliance tools.
    The devices look similar to traditional nunchucks; however, they are not usually used to strike or hit, but to gain compliance by applying pressure at the joints.

Credit: Kevin Orcutt
    Approximately six months after the inmate was injured, Denver’s head of public safety banned the use of the nunchucks by police and deputies, according to a departmental directive in 2021.
    The directive cited injuries and incidents in which “OPN has snapped or otherwise failed” and said “other options are available to officers and deputies for the purposes of arrest control or pain compliance.”
    The creator of the OPN device, Kevin Orcutt, told 9NEWS over the phone there has never been a death associated with their use and that they can be safe if used with common sense.
    Bad-Day-for-Wannabe-Bruce-Lees
    Fighting-style-for-law-enforcement/
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Pgct

Hermosa Beach police train in martial arts to protect public, arrestees and themselves
    KEVIN CODY|NOVEMBER 16, 2023

Sgt. Jon Sibbald leading a PGCT class with (left to right) Detective Dalton Blumenfeld, Officer Ivan Reyes, Officer Joshua Nakamoto, and Detective Brent Zuber. Photo by JP Codero

Shortly after Jon Sibbald joined the Hermosa Beach Police Department in 2002, the six-foot-tall, 200 pound officer found himself drawing on his martial arts training in situations where other officers used pepper spray, Tasers and batons.

Sibbald trained in hapkido while at Redondo High, and subsequently trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He earned black belts in both disciplines.

During a typically raucous Hermosa July 4th in 2003, Sibbald stopped a brawl on The Strand with an “outside leg” takedown of the instigator. A passerby’s video of the takedown went viral. A newscaster who aired the video wondered aloud why Sibbald didn’t just Mace the brawler (who was not injured in the fall). A second newscaster speculated police elsewhere might have shot the brawler.

PGCT founder and chief instructor Sgt. Jon Sibbald. Photo by JP Cordero
    Police arrest videos became a television news staple following the Rodney King baton beating by four Los Angeles Police Officers a decade earlier. Locally, attorney Thomas Beck built a practice filing lawsuits alleging police brutality. In 2011, Beck won a $130,000 settlement from Hermosa on behalf of a client who suffered a face fracture after a Hermosa police officer allegedly Tasered him and struck him with a baton.

When Sibbald joined the department, Landon Phillips, now a lieutenant, was the only other Hermosa officer trained in jiu jitsu, which translates from Japanese as “gentle art.” Today, over half of the department’s 39 officers train in the Hermosa Beach Police Grappling Control Techniques (PGCT) program. The program is led by Sibbald, who describes PGCT as “blending the punch blocks of Hapkido, and Krav Maga, and transitioning (on the ground) to grappling and jiu jitsu.”

Sibbald earned State certification as a law enforcement use-of-force instructor in 2005. But for nearly 20 years, a succession of Hermosa police chiefs declined his offer to teach martial arts to fellow officers.

“The chiefs worried officers would get injured making arrests, or training. Finally, in 2020, I found a chief who would listen,” Sibbald said.

Chief Paul Lebaron came to Hermosa Beach in April, 2020, one month before Minneapolis police officer Derek Chavin killed George Floyd with a knee to the neck, held for over nine minutes.

Lebaron rose through the ranks of the Long Beach Police Department over 27 years in positions that included field training officer, public information officer, and internal affairs investigator. He also held less conventional positions, such as cultural diversity instructor at the Long Beach Police Academy, and adjunct staff member at the Simon Wiesenthal Museum of Tolerance.

Lebaron subscribes to a 21st Century school of policing that utilizes data analysis to proactively address crime. He recently implemented a program in Hermosa that predicts future crime locations based on previous crime data.

Sibbald approached the new chief with what little data existed related to law enforcement use of martial arts to arrest uncooperative suspects.

The data was from the Marietta, Georgia, Police Department, the first police department in the nation to require its officers, and to pay them, to train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

In an address to fellow police chiefs shortly after the program began in 2018, Marietta Police Chief Dan Flynn described the jiu jitsu training as an alternative to police use of “pain compliance.” “Striking and blunt force techniques never look good, particularly on camera,” he told fellow chiefs.

Taking a break during training at the Hermosa Beach Police Grappling Control Techniques (PGCT) gym are Detective Dalton Blumenfeld, Officer Joshua Nakamoto, Detective Brent Zuber, Officer Ivan Reyes, Detective Kurt Mateko, Officer Fabian Reyes and Sgt. Jon Sibbald. Photo by JP Cordero

His department’s data showed fears that martial arts would lead to more law enforcement injuries were unfounded. Two years after implementing the training the Marietta department reported a 48 percent reduction in officer use-of-force injuries, a 53 percent reduction in arrestee injuries, and a 23 percent reduction in the department’s Taser use.

The Marietta chief ascribed another benefit to martial arts training.

“It increases their self confidence and calmness when they are confronted with the need to use physical force,” he said.

Sibbald supported that argument in his proposal to Lebaron with body cam video of fellow officers Josh Nakamoto and Kurt Mateko arresting a suspect pulled over during a traffic stop. Nakamoto and Mateko trained with Sibbald at Triton Gym in Redondo Beach. After the officers found a gun in the suspect’s trunk, the suspect started to drive off. Most police department use-of-force policies would have sanctioned officers shooting at the car. Instead, one of the Hermosa officers leapt into the moving car, and shifted it into park. The other officer used jiu jitsu to free the driver’s death grip on the steering wheel, and pulled him from the car.

“It was the mindset they had from their training that I saw as the game changer,” Lebaron recalled, in seeing the video.

“At the police academy, we were taught control techniques. But conditions had to be perfect for them to work, and there’s no such thing as perfect on the street. You have to be able to think on your feet, or on your back. We need to give officers the tools to adapt to situations that they may not have trained for,” he said.

The State requires four hours every two years of POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training). It covers use-of-force, but inadequately for a “perishable” skill like martial arts, Lebaron noted.

“So we gave Jon a small budget for equipment and mats, which public works installed.”

The gym is on Bard Street, across from the police station, in a city-owned building formerly occupied by the Friends of the Library bookstore. Sibbald insisted the gym be close to the station to make participation convenient.

The program began in November 2021, with the chief as one of the trainees.

Officers train a minimum of twice monthly for two hours in classes taught by Sibbald and fellow officers Sgt. Guy Dove, Det. Kurt Mateko, Det. Brent Zuber, Det. Dalton Blumenfeld and Officer Fabian Reyes. The classes include the department’s two female officers. New recruits are required to attend the classes throughout their 18 month probation.

After their initial training, officers test at the Gracie Academy in Torrance for their GST (Gracie Survival Tactics) certification.

“The GST is for 15 submission techniques. We teach hundreds,” Sibbald said.

Hermosa officers aren’t taught the traditional police “pain compliance” holds, such as wrist and arm locks,

“‘Pain compliance’ doesn’t work on a drunk or a person on drugs who doesn’t feel pain,” Sibbald said.

Nor are they taught punches and kicks.

“You can hurt yourself throwing punches. And it looks bad on TV. An old sergeant told me, ‘I don’t want to see you on the 5 o’clock news,’” Sibbald said.

Chokeholds aren’t taught either. California banned law enforcement’s use of chokeholds in 2020, following George Floyd’s death.

“We stay away from the neck, and commonly use the seat belt hold to restrain a suspect,” Sibbald said.

The seat belt hold, as the name suggests, involves an officer locking his hands together after reaching over one of the suspect’s shoulders with one arm, and under the suspect’s other shoulder with the other arm. If being immobilized standing up doesn’t convince the suspect to cooperate, the officer can easily push the suspect to the ground, and pin him until backup arrives.

“All the time we’re talking to the suspect, trying to calm him down until he says he’s done fighting, or he runs out of gas,” Sibbald said.

“The goal is to teach officers to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. If our female, or any officer is ‘bum rushed’ we don’t want them to panic, and reach for their baton, or gun,” Sibbald said.

Sgt.Jon Sibbald and Detective Brent Zuber “walk” Officer Ivan Reyes to the ground. Photo by JP Cordero

At the October 10 city council meeting, Sibbald reported the results of PGCT’s first year by comparing statistics to the two previous years.

In 2020, and 2021 combined, the police department reported 35 officer injuries during use-of-force incidents. The related workman’s compensation payments totaled over $300,000.

In 2022, PGCT’s first full year, there were no officer injuries during use-of-force incidents, and no use-of-force related workers comp claims.

During that first year, 44 use-of-force arrests were made, involving 94 officer responses.

During those arrests, none of the officers used pepper spray, Tasers, batons, punches or kicks, Sibbald said. ER
    That "walk" looks exactly like what I teach when I lead restraint and takedown in-services at concerts and events for medics and security.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips