Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fighting style for law enforcement?

Time is of the essence..

If you want to really use that "baton", which is really just a longer variant of the Okinawan tonfa, then take a good Okinawan style that teaches kobudo/kobujutsu techs that include the tonfa. You can ask the instructer to teach you tonfa techs specifically. Just tell him/her that you are 5-0 and they'll make an exception. Usually weapons training begins at green or brown belt.

You have lots of standing and ground controls, locks and grappling in Okinawan karate. It's called tuite. These are useful for restraint. BJJ is probably not such a good idea at first. If you've never trained it teaches you to instinctively go to the ground, especially the guard. Wrestling is done by a lot of police types and Americans in general in HS. Football teaches you good enough tackling and hand grappling techs. 99% of bad guys know nothing when it comes to submission stuff. Most cops did these sports.

Chin Na would be a better choice than Judo, JJ or wrestling. The Filipino stick/weapons arts are alright, but even in the PI the cops and the military don't train in them. As a matter of fact most filipinos don't think of them as effective fighting arts. They tend to train in Boxing (Kick and Western), JKD, Karate, Kuntaw, and BJJ.

In the end Gun-Fu is superior to all fighting styles! Just my 2 centavos....

if you can find real krav maga...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Good to see you back on the board Brent.

I taught primarily Five Animals and Long Fist techniques, but I think this statement is misleading, since most people think only/mostly about forms when they think about those styles.
    I don't.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

What about Hsing-I that teaches a lot of Chin-Na? Would it be good for Law Enforcement?

My sister's in the (UK) force and they learn only very limited techniques usually involving using an 'asp' (baton) to the outside of the thigh. They can only use home office approved techniques. She's had very little in the way of hand to hand training, I think the only guys that a decent amount of MA training are the riot squad officers.

(A guy I used to train with, and who worked for the police told me that one technique they can use is a knee to the inner thigh. Apparently one time an officer tried this and accidentally exploded one of the suspects testicles. )
    "It picked me up with it's mind-powers and shook me like a dawg!"

Heli is right, the police get precious little training. The Home Office Control and Restraint training is somewhat lacking too IME.

What is interesting is the official response to police recieving more advanced training, it isn't exactly supportive according to some of our guys.

The legal situation is a nightmare too for professionals, that's one reason I maintain that an overtly striking based system is not the best option for Law Enforcement pros.

I feel there should also be considerably more work done on the non-physical aspects of confrontation, it's not enough just working technique over and over in class.

"Actually, staying on the ground against multiples is retarded. Not knowing how to move around well down there is doublely retarded."

AMEN!

"and never forget your family and to spend as much time with them as you spend on the job.(it's impossible but I think you get my meaning)"

The first takes alot of hard work and is in your face everyday,the second,well,that takes as much work,when you forget the second,you forget what you are.

Both well said and worth a second read..............

Police Fu

I seem to remember somthing about one of the Lau sisters teaching Eagle Claw to the Hong Kong Police due to the joint locks & Chin Na
    "You have come here from all over the world because society has no furthur use for you....."

Originally posted by ewallace
    Come to think of it the trial for the guy who killed the policeman is going on right now. There were a couple witnesses that saw the whole thing too. Texas is not very forgiving when it comes to cop-killers. Barring some kind of technicality that guy is toast.
    As previously mentioned...that guy is toast. Got the death penalty yesterday. Man it's just not a good idea to shoot policemen anywhere...let alone in Texas.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Guess what they are talking about at the "Law Enforcement" Fourm?

Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

haha

I'll take the Dunkin Donuts myself.

Cody

Thumbs up

didnt expect THAT!

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Krispy Kremes !!!! the glazed with the choclate on top…… OMG!!! I haven't had one in soo long…

Yeah, Dunkin used to have a blueberry jelly donut. but, I'll settle. yup.

When it really gets down to it, I like French pastry.

Cody

15. Wink

We are on good hands,high on sugar they are though.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-