Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting flow/continuity

RAF-- I could say the same as you, my perspective on stance training maybe unique to my experience. I have yet to meet a stance worker who had good jin skills, so if your in SF let me know and we can get together and play.

Count-- How is it possible to move my Dan Tien without moving my hips and buttocks? Lot's of practice. Right know I'm sitting in a chair and rotating my dantien. It should be pointed out that this simple to show how much I can articulate my center. When I practice I would use my legs to amplify the power. That being said I would consider moving the Dantien without moving the hips an essential to being able to generate and direct jin. If you must use your hips to move your dantien you will end up breaking the exrternal harmonies. I doubt I can convince you through this forum, so I suggest if you're in frisco let me know and I'll show you it can be done.

--josh
    Do not attempt to share your interest in martial arts with pedantic,
    narrow-minded scholars. As soon as they find out, they will quote from
    the
    classics and regale you with all kinds of irrelevant non-sense. This in
    infuriating. You can deal with this by either avoiding them or keeping
    your
    art secret.
    --Ch'ang Nai-chou

Hmmm

Sounds like a belly dancer I once dated. She could isolate any muscle in her abdomen and move it. I don't know how applicable that is martially but I found it interesting. (Fun too)
    Personally, I think stance training is all about moving and transitions and not about standing still at all. I don't want to imply this should be your only focus but it is a most important part of your training, and not just as a beginner. It's all about structure and root. See, flow without structure and root is weak. That is nothing more than dance. Personally I have yet to meet a person with any real power that did not focus on stance training. But I guess you can just show me next time I'm in San Francisco. I'm always willing to consider alternatives in training. Where do you train up there. You can PM me if you want to. I plan to come up for a visit sometime soon.
    Last edited by count; 10-22-2002 at 02:51 PM.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Count,
    If you define stance training as being about moving and transitions, then I have no real arguement. I was talking specificly about static stance training i.e. standing post. By your definition silk-reeling and forms are both stance training (not that I disagree). I certainly do a lot of active stance work. My initial disagreement was with the idea that standing post improves ones ability to move and that has just not been my experience. Now if you can already move standing post will certainly increase your power.

I live in the heart of San Francisco a few blocks from alamo square (a really nice park). If you're coming to town PM me and I'll tell you how to get in touch with me, I'm always up for some show and tell.

josh
    Do not attempt to share your interest in martial arts with pedantic,
    narrow-minded scholars. As soon as they find out, they will quote from
    the
    classics and regale you with all kinds of irrelevant non-sense. This in
    infuriating. You can deal with this by either avoiding them or keeping
    your
    art secret.
    --Ch'ang Nai-chou