View Poll Results: So, how 'bout it?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • I live on planet earth.

24 53.33%
  • I'm a character in some ridiculous action movie.

21 46.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you live on planet earth or some ridiculous action movie?

Question Do you live on planet earth or some ridiculous action movie?

It seems to me that the posters on this board basically fit into one of these two categories; which describes you better?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Action movie, and i get to wear a red cape 24/7. Let me know if you need anything.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Characters in ridiculous action movies think they live on planet earth.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

action movie all the way

Of course, it's one of the B rate movies with lots of ninjas
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I kind of feel like i am living in a poor Woody Allen film.....only in black and white.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I'm not sure, but there's a strange gelatinous blob coming towards me, and I'm wearing a red shirt...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Well an action movie definitely.

I've already had 3 duel to the death matches in my back yard next to the 35th chamber that I built (there wasn't rood for the 36th and all the others) and I haven't even left the house yet.

I still have to battle my way through the supermarket filled with with challengers and go through a cool fight scene at the mall to impress the chics Jackie Chan style. Oh and don't get me started at the about the Chinese restaurant I 'm going to.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 10-18-2002 at 09:45 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a lot of hilarious macho posturing around here that's so over the top it would make Samuel Jackson embarassed. I find it a lot more bothersome than the offtopic natter and the silly jokes.

I'm not going to name names here (I've done so plenty elsewhere) but how can anyone really believe that rolling or sparring with someone from another school is a life-or-death struggle? How can anyone really believe that you must live by the code of the warrior or die like a lowly worm? How can anyone really believe that one's martial arts practice is the only thing that matters?
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

How dare you call my action movie ridiculous?!

I'll fight you at dawn using only a paper and comb!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be a lot of hilarious macho posturing around here that's so over the top it would make Samuel Jackson embarassed. I find it a lot more bothersome than the offtopic natter and the silly jokes.

I'm not going to name names here (I've done so plenty elsewhere) but how can anyone really believe that rolling or sparring with someone from another school is a life-or-death struggle? How can anyone really believe that you must live by the code of the warrior or die like a lowly worm? How can anyone really believe that one's martial arts practice is the only thing that matters?
    Ok to answer your questions

1)I dont' believe it's alife or death struggle but I believe to an extent you need to have that type of mentality. To me sparring is a game where you try to see how you can use your techniques. It's really fun.

2)Well I try to live by a "code" ,or martial morality, but mainly my Christianity decides on how I live that code. The reason why I follow it is because I chose to and it appeals to me. I don't follow it like how most people view it . This isn't a shaw brothers movie but some people treat it that way. More often that not some people's code is nothing more than a combination of hippy budhism,shaw borthers flicks,Japanese bushido, and karate kids movies.

For example. Most of you might remember that little stinch I had with my ex-friend. When we sparred and put him in an arm bar he told me it wasn't honorable and that my style wasn't honorable. What the heck? His view of "honor" was very distorted due to the large amounts of anime that he has seen. Honor ,for me, is doing the right thing. When you defend your families life that is honorable, when mother Teresa went through out al of her life living with poor poeple and helping them that is honorable etc.. For him honor was a ritual that you did to impress others to make them respect you. Anime is cool but man some people take it too far.

3)Martial practise isn't the only thing in mylife. As you can already tell I'm very much a loyal catholic (almost fanatic) and hold God above anything else even beyond my kung fu. Kung fu isn't my life but it's a big part of it. I know that there are other big things that are a major part of my life like family,work,relationships etc.. I see my role in the martial arts as a gift from God and it has to become an enlightening experience for me. Some people choose other hobbies like moutnain biking, art, basketball, singing. This is how I relax and express myself.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 10-18-2002 at 10:09 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Well, you're not one of the nutters, NM. I never thought you were.
    Crippled Avenger

lol I try to control myself and try to maintain a "normal" behavior in front of others. It's cool

Neither...

I live on Cartoon Planet & Taz says Hello.

Badger
    Justice, swift & raw. US Constitutional absolutism, a return to the American Dream based on the 10 Commandments, The Golden Rule, US Constitution & Bill of Rights, zero tolerance for bloodsuckers, criminals and evil.. Peace through superior firepower & tactical might, zero free rides, only the truly needy get jack****, Don't Tread on Me & Remember the Alamo muther****er

Taz is much to uncouth for us evil cartoon animal geniuses to associate with.

(sniff)
    Crippled Avenger

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    How can anyone really believe that you must live by the code of the warrior or die like a lowly worm? How can anyone really believe that one's martial arts practice is the only thing that matters?
    Well, think about how easy that must be. To just pick something and devote yourself to that one thing, convince yourself that it's the most important thing in the world. You don't really have to worry about anything else. You can judge yourself on nothing but how well you do at that one thing.

You don't have to worry about what it really means to be a good person. You don't have to seek real truth or try to understand the world you're living in.

Think of how stress free such an existance would be?

I'm a little bit envious of these people, I don't mind telling you.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne