Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hakka Arts

FIRE HAWK

Hakka styles are charactorised by short explosive power and advance work with the pheonix fist [although there are exceptions] they are also often highly aggressive and believe the best defence is high offence. However as previously stated its a bit of a crocked arguement becouse any style that has been kept in a Hakka family could be classifed as Hakka.
    There are however some more famous ones...
    Bak Mei - has hakka varients and regular varients
    Lung Ying - due to infulence by LYG the style maintains elements of his familys kung fu which was hakka
    South Mantis - you know about this one im sure
    Li Gar - now spread to the states but still claim a strong hakka influence.
    Lau Ga - English Lau is a hakka based art although has now gone totaly public.

This would be the mere tip of the iceberg and only some of the more public ones, there are many many more but most would have never heard of them. They have a nasty habbit of keeping such things in the family
    Last edited by jon; 01-27-2002 at 10:11 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Hakka or non hakka that is the question!!

What does it mean Hakka.
    The roots to the systems comes from where?
    Hakka styles do not vary that much. There are a few things that binds these systems together, which has to do with lineage.

CLOUD ONE

I would venture to say that the reason the systems bare similarity is not due to linage [as that is repective to the system at hand] but rather due to the nature of Hakka people. They were persecuted and discriminated against, so they were forced to stick together like glue and share knowledge premirely amongst one another. The reason im sure the styles bare similarity is becouse they often shared training methods and skills.
    LYG and CLC of Lung Ying and Bak Mei respectively were great friends and both had good knowledge of each others respective systems. They are still often taught together to this day.
    The Hakka community have always been close knit its more likely that the styles have mixed and matched skills to the point of them baring similarity rather than all of the systems somehow having the exact same seeds.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

I see what you guys are saying I just thought that there was certain styles that came from the Hakka people only like southern mantis. fiercest tiger i wonder how the hakka Southern Eagle style looks compared to Northern Eagle Claw? I have seen the Hakka Unicorn style and it uses a short Eagle claw and the Phoenix Eye Fist and the two sword finger hand and uses a whipping ging kind of power the form is real short and covers four directions it looks like southern mantis or Pak Mei it also has a Chi Kung section at the begining of the form that looks like it could come from a form of Hung Gar i also seen the Unicorn style done on a wooden dummy this style also has Chi na techniques in it too. Jon so Li Gar and Lau Gar are considered Hakka then and come from the Hakka people . I have herd that there is a Hakka Snake style but i dont know if it comes from the hakka people or not.

Fire Hwak

Bruce Lee was a native Shunda...

Do you call JKD as a Shunda style?

Rolling_Hand

Care to explain why Bruce Lee was kicked out of Wing Chun by Yip Man?
    Funny how some things are kept in the culture isnt it?

- Huang Kai Vun

right on rolling hand.
    where do you guys get your stereotypes of hakka? do you even know any hakka? or you sayin what you've read or been told? hey maybe good stereotypes for hakka in terms of kung fu, so why spoil the image huh?

Does anyone have any info on who created Lee Ga & where it came from? Im asking coz it was combined with either Fut or Hung ga & the Shaolin system to create the art im training. The founder of my art learnt Lee Ga from monk Lee Yau San, student of Abbot Ji Sin Sum Si. Some say Lee Yau San created Lee Ga, but i read that a student of the infamous daoist priest Bak Mei founded LG. Is their any websites on LG? Also some info on the style, is there any famous staff or hand sets? Does it look anything like Bak Mei & does it have a main fist or animal? I heard it uses the panther fist, like my style. Does BM use this fist a lot?

Golden Arm

Hey are you a descendent of the Lee family?

Why do you use JI and Lee as if they were seperate?

Your Si Fu sounds like he is hakka, what is his name and does he have a web site?

I heard that Chong Li Tan got his pole from a Lee Ga master.
    The Lee Ga system is very difficult to learn i.e takes years and years of hard work.

Here's a quote from a Lau Gar site:

"Lau Gar Kuen as taught in "London Lau Gar" was introduced to the UK in 1961 by Master Jeremy Yau. Having been taught by his Grand Father "Yau Luk Sau".
    Yau Luk Sau was taught by Masters Yang Hoi Ching, and Wan Goon Wing, during the later part of the 19th century.
    Master Yau's grand father was of "Hakka" origin, and only spoke the Hakka dialetic, therefore Lau Gar Kung Fu as taught in the UK could be described as a Hakka style, akin to similar systems such as Bak Mei, Lung Yang, Southern Praying Mantis etc."

Also check out this link:

http://www.acad.polyu.edu.hk/~96981339r/HagGaPeople.htm

It geos into some detail.

regards
    Colin..............
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk

Not wishing to complicate matters, but my Pai is known as Lee-Gar Tong-Long in parts of S.E.Asia, after Great-Grandmaster Lee-Yin-Sing (Hakka).

Steve.

Fire Hawk

About Hakka???

Check these out...
    http://www.asiawind.com/hakka
    http://www.asiawind.com/hakka/people.htm

Some famous Hakka ancestor Zhu Xi ( Song Dynasty )
    From Zhu Xi to Garrett Gee
    http://home.vtmuseum.org/genealogy/hung_fa_yi/
    Last edited by Rolling_Hand; 01-28-2002 at 04:08 PM.

Sui-fuw,

There's no harm in wishful thinking.

Maybe there's more to things than meets the eye... just like Wing Chun vs Bak Mei.

Sui_fuw

Building slowly has its merits...
    Sil Nim Tao is the first form of Wing Chun - the little idea!

Be prepared to move with the natural flow and order of things in the cosmos. Keep an open mind and let the profound concepts of the ancients come alive, become meaningful, Chum Kil - Seeking the bridge, much of what you've accomplished rides on what you do next. So act, let it make a real difference to your life.

Correction

I listed a Li Gar as being in the usa.
    I meant Ling Gar
    Sorry for any confusion.

- Huang Kai Vun