Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: has anyone seen Mantis video's by Sifu Raul Ortiz??

I'll refrain from name calling...

Those tapes aren't any good.

There's a lot of people claiming to teach Praying Mantis kung fu, but sadly there's not a lot of people who are actually teaching Praying Mantis.

For some reason, we have about as many Charlatans and posers as Tai Chi.

Real mantis looks like this:

http://www.wle.com//products/VUMANT01.html

and:

http://www.wahlum.com/kung-fu_store.htm
    Living Legends of Kung Fu, with Grandmasters Pui Chan and Brendan Lai

Watch Brendan apply 7* on this tape and see if it lacks power.

It's difficult to find real 7* teachers in the world, let alone in the US.

what does jmd mean?

what does jmd mean?
    "Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

He is a charlatan.

Hint : Look for similarites in what he teaches, and Isshin-Ryu Karate.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Re: Be nice...

Originally posted by WCFighter

Ever been to a kungfu demo in a shopping mall or someplace, and there is a wing chun forms demo? Boring !!!! (Ok, maybe not the wooden dummy form)
    Ever see another kung fu school doing Crane or Mantis Kung fu demos (insert any other style)? It's pretty cool to watch.

I love wing chun. It's great and efficient. It was derived from the most efficient movements of all kung fu styles.

It kind of sounds like your putting other styles down.

The most efficient strike is the jab and straight right. If efficiency was the only important attribute in a fight boxers wouldnt throw hooks.

Stacey Guest
    those techniques were not bad. For the october lesson, I would be more inclined to use Chuei deng for a throw.

I think its funny that people would think wah lum was more real than this.

I know people play it cool by saying their aren't impressed, but that girl had a crisp application.

I think I get more out of my training in 8 step, but it seemed like a nice professional. I think good people are developed there. I don't see a lot of root or power generation, but most schools don't

Anyone dissing it should feel free to post clips of themselves. At least these people have kung fu that doesn't only exist on the internet.

Thumbs up We saw the samething.

Originally posted by Stacey
    I don't see a lot of root or power generation, but most schools don't
    Stacey,

That's exactly what i was saying.

The problem i have with it is how many schools do you see where the teachers don't have root or power generation?

The students okay ,but the teachers?

If the teachers don't have root or any power then how can they teach the students to be well rooted or bring out their power?

jmd161
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Hint : Look for similarites in what he teaches, and Isshin-Ryu Karate.
    Dre, care to clarify that statement?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Le nOObi

Nope, not putting other styles down.

If you read that whole article, you would understand that I was open-minded enough to express that, from an audience member's point of view, other styles forms are more interesting/exciting to watch , and have more weapons than wing chun.
    "Kick his ass, Sea-Bass!" - Dumb and Dumber

Re: Le nOObi

Originally posted by WCFighter
    Nope, not putting other styles down.

If you read that whole article, you would understand that I was open-minded enough to express that, from an audience member's point of view, other styles forms are more interesting/exciting to watch , and have more weapons than wing chun.
    Heres basicallly what you said in your article.

Pro's of wingchun- combat effectivness

Pro's of other styles- exciting to watch forms of/have more forms.

In my opinion thats putting the effectiveness of other styles down.

So go argue on the Wing Chun Forum.

Back to topic:

"He explained that he no longer practices that style and now does the PM as taight by Lee Kam Wing. GM Lee is famous as a grandstudent of Luo Guangyu."

What was the style of PM on the tape?

Are the video clips on the site LKW 7Star Mantis?

I can't see them behind my firewall at work.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

Talking

WCFIGHTER is right its not the style but their Sifu who looks funny you guys have to see him at the Tournaments he is always running around with some modern day black manchu. LOL

To jmd 161, There is no black tiger association in florida so dont come with that im tired of people trying to claim hark fu moon if your sifu is not authorized becuase i know there is no one in florida teaching fu-jow pai in Florida and so then he most likely is not certified tell him or her to buy some instrcuctional videos and teach you some real kung fu instead of contributing to this upcropping of false martail artist. So jmd 161 please have some respect and change your profile cause u have never seen real tiger claw.

you only fool yourself
    your welcome ,
    Psycho Monk

Thumbs down There is no black tiger association in florida.

Originally posted by psycho monk
    To jmd 161, There is no black tiger association in florida so dont come with that im tired of people trying to claim hark fu moon if your sifu is not authorized becuase i know there is no one in florida teaching fu-jow pai in Florida and so then he most likely is not certified tell him or her to buy some instrcuctional videos and teach you some real kung fu instead of contributing to this upcropping of false martail artist. So jmd 161 please have some respect and change your profile cause u have never seen real tiger claw.

you only fool yourself

psycho monk,

I'm not going to go into a Black Tiger flame war with you or anyone else on this board.I never said my sifu taught " Fu Jow Pai " my sifu teaches BlackTiger style.Fu Jow Pai is not the only Black Tiger Known in China.I think you need to ask your Grandmaster Wai Hung who Fred woo is before you go starting trouble.Wai Hung knows my Master very well so go get your info sorted out because you're the one looking like a fool right now.

You confuse us with Paul Koh and Shantung Black Tiger i don't know or care about the problems your school of Black Tiger has with there's.Grandmaster Wong Cheung was known throught Hong Kong for his Hung Gar and Black Tiger teaching.I or my sifu don't need to make false claims.

This does'nt prove much about our Black Tiger ,but i think you need to read it or talk to your Grandmaster. Because it's clear you don't know much about Hark Fu Moon(Hak Fu moon,Huk Fu Muhn) at all.

The Rare Black Tiger Style

jmd161

P.S. I think if you take time to read you will see it says Hong Kong ,but maybe Hong Kong looks like Florida to you.My sifu moved to the U.S. from Hong Kong. Where he was the Chairman of the Black Tiger Assocation.
    Last edited by jmd161; 10-23-2002 at 06:16 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

jmd161 thanks for clearing that.

NOW BACK TO TOPIC...

Posted by Dre- "He is a charlatan.
    Hint: Look for similarities in what he teaches, and Isshin-Ryu Karate."

Really what does that mean, are you saying hes a fraud?

psycho monk posted- WCFIGHTER is right its not the style but their Sift who looks funny you guys have to see him at the Tournaments he is always running around with some modern day black Manchu.

Please more details, he is very well respected in LKW clan, so all this is shocking.

Skard1
    Last edited by Skarbromantis; 10-23-2002 at 04:47 PM.
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

www.torontohiphop.com

Pulled from the mantis cave:

Raul Ortiz
    He studied under shifu Bob Spoelstra and K. Keeler. He is now aligned himself with shifu Lee Kam Wing and he has met him a couple of times

Bob Spoelstra

He started under shifu Chui Chuen Luen, but only a few months because shifu Chiu Luen closed his school in 1982. Therefore most of his training was done under shifu Stanley Moy. He also trained under shifu Stanley's gong-fu brother Jung Wa.
    Shifu Spoelstra currently teaches in New Jersey (USA).

www.torontohiphop.com

Re: There is no black tiger association in florida.

Originally posted by jmd161

psycho monk,

I'm not going to go into a Black Tiger flame war with you or anyone else on this board.I never said my sifu taught " Fu Jow Pai " my sifu teaches BlackTiger style.Fu Jow Pai is not the only Black Tiger Known in China.I think you need to ask your Grandmaster Wai Hung who Fred woo is before you go starting trouble.Wai Hung knows my Master very well so go get your info sorted out because you're the one looking like a fool right now.

You confuse us with Paul Koh and Shantung Black Tiger i don't know or care about the problems your school of Black Tiger has with there's.Grandmaster Wong Cheung was know throught Hong Kong for his Hung Gar and Black Tiger teaching.I or my sifu don't need to make false claims.

This does'nt prove much about our Black Tiger ,but i think you need to read it or talk to your Grandmaster. Because it's clear you don't know much about Hark Fu Moon(Hak Fu moon,Huk Fu Muhn) at all.

The Rare Black Tiger Style

jmd161

P.S. I think if you take time to read you will see it says Hong Kong ,but maybe Hong Kong looks like Florida to you.My sifu moved to the U.S. from Hong Kong. Where he was the Chairman of the Black Tiger Assocation.

ROFL!!!!!! Damn... just damn
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter