Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choy Lay Fut 'ten seed techniques'?

Question Choy Lay Fut 'ten seed techniques'?

Does anyone remember 'REAL KUNGFU', the magazine? I was looking through an old copy of it earlier today, and in an article about Chan Yiu Wun there is mention of ten seed techniques .

I'm interested in the Choy Lay Fut style, and would like to get an idea of basic movement. Do these ten seed techniques illustrate the basics, and what are they? Also, could anyone point me to some movie or images of basic Choy Lay Fut movement on the internet?

Go to www.clfma.com website, and look into the Master Series and you can see Master Chen Yong Fa demonstrating some of the basic hands. You can also find some video clips of some of the students from the Sydney school demonstrating some of the forms.
    Dutch

Thanks Dutch!

The demonstrations were very impressive. I'm wondering if Choy Lay Fut people are allowed to comment on what the basics of the system are, as well as these 10 seed techniques? Any input would be appreciated.

4. There was a discussion on the ten seeds in the past couple of weeks. It's on the second page of this forum. Look for the thread titled Pek Choy.

Thanks Lice!

Originally posted by sing fu
    I'm wondering if Choy Lay Fut people are allowed to comment on what the basics of the system are, as well as these 10 seed techniques? Any input would be appreciated.
    Stances. In fact, the most fundamental principles taught in the beginning are the stances. After introducing the basic stances, the practitioners are taught how to generate power using the whole body.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Sho,

Thanks for your insight - I'll remember that. The strikes Master Chen was showing in the videos Dutch pointed to showed some remarkable whip-like movements. I'm assuming the change from horse to front uses very quick hip rotation - very impressive.

I'd like to get a better idea of the whole Choy Lay Fut package, but are there any suggestions for a video of, say, comprehensive demonstrations by the Choy Lay Fut school?

You will never find anything to comprehensive video wise on the web. Most schools and sifus prefer you to try a class or watch a class. For more description on the "10 seeds" you can check out the Ng Family CLF Association. The article was written by Sifu Sam Ng and his son, Phil.

The "10 seeds" sometimes vary slightly from lineage to lineage. They are just some of the main techniques within our system but hardly anything complete.

Peace.

Thank you for your words about the 'ten seeds', CLFNole.

I hear what you're saying about videos. I'm resident in a country with no southern kungfu at the moment, and thought if I could purchase a publicly available demonstration video (if one exists), it might give me more of an idea of CLF on the whole before i move to somewhere teaching the southern styles though.

You guys living near a kwoon are so lucky!

Ihear that Sifu Tat Mau Wong's video instructional series is really good. He also has a series by Panther video. Sifu Doc Fai Wong has a series by espy video compnay and some by an older company. There is also a series being offered in the Wing Lam Catalogue, I think its Lee Koon Hung's brother who is doing it.

eric

if anything, i kind of think it would be worth getting a video of Sup Gi Kao Da form to give a simple over view of the style. Allot of the CLF players see this set as the more complete form, which contains most of the sets. My knowledge of CLF is limited, so please dont raid me for this. Some schools might feel different about the style.

The only sup gi video that I have seen sold on the web, is the one by master Li Siu Hung (Lee Koon Hung's brother) at www.leekoonhungkungfu.com. I have not seen the video, but I do know the form. Maybe you could try contact them for more info.

If you want info on the technical workings, history, etc of CLF, then this form is just the place to be. The people here are awsome. Their knowledge is great.
    btw what country are you from?
    e
    Last edited by Eddie; 10-24-2002 at 12:25 AM.

Eddie and Eric,

Thanks for your suggestions. I might just check out the video Eddie suggested as I'd like to get an idea of body movement from video rather than self-learn any forms etc.

BTW, I'm in Japan at present. Thanks once again!

Sing FU

I have seen both lee siu hungs and doc fai wongs versions of the sup gi kow da set and both are good however very different. I believe doc fai wongs comes from lau buns side and I'm not sure where lee siu hungs comes from. Both are worth getting and will allow you to se the diversitity of the style.

CLF in Japan

I'm not sure but I think I remember someone mentioning that there is CLF in Japan. Even if there isn't there must be some other kung fu in Japan.

Also check out the Chan family's other site for some clips at www.choyleefut.com.au The clips are short but they show some of the flowing moves of CLF especially the Dart Ting Bak Gwa form. cool form.

They show the forms that were performed last new year. It's too bad they don't show the whole sets but all these forms are what good CLF should look like. I like the Level Elbow form it looks very powerful. Especialy the Fut Jeung (Buddha Palm form) very powerful form. Sifu Barry Hale is awesome.
    Last edited by GOLDEN ARMOR; 10-24-2002 at 08:51 AM.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

Re: Choy Lay Fut 'ten seed techniques'?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sing fu
    [B]Does anyone remember 'REAL KUNGFU', the magazine? I was looking through an old copy of it earlier today, and in an article about Chan Yiu Wun there is mention of ten seed techniques .

Did you know Chan Yiu Wun was an opium smoker? Because he studied with his clansman Chan Yiu Chi (Chan Heung's grandson), he was not really doing Choy Lee Fut, so how could he have been talking about the Choy Lee Fut 10 seeds? According to Sifu Chan Kam Fai (is he from the Chan family?) and his teacher Master Tsui Kwong Yuan, only students who can trace their lineage back to Cheong Yim, the founding father of Choy Lee Fut and the GGM, is really doing Choy Lee Fut. Anyone from Chan Heung's line is doing something else, and from Sifu Frank Mac Carthy's hint, this is going to be the coming truth and the newest cat out of the bag from Futsan and KL. So what have you being doing all these years? Have you been Choy Lee Futting lately?
    Now I think I can really make it to Fu Pow's "ignore list". Hoo Ray! Do you suppose to eat these seeds or smoke them?