Thread: Leung Shum's "Secrets of Eagle Claw kung fu" book

Leung Shum's "Secrets of Eagle Claw kung fu" book

Hello everyone...I'm looking for a book to buy, and I have been intrigued by this one quite often already.
    Has anybody read it?
    What is your opinion on it then?
    Is it worth spending my hard earned 25$ gift-certificate??
    Thanks in advance
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Excellent Book

I've owned the book for a couple of months now, and I've enjoyed the read. Of course, I may be a little baised since Leung Shum is my SiKung. ( I train with Master Joel Rodriguez in Atlanta ).

As far as the book goes, it seems to be broken up into three distinct sections. The first section covers Northern Eagle Claw history and ideas. The book then gets into training basics, kicks, and stretching ( lots of pictures ). The book lists all the forms, but does not walk you through any of them. The last section of the book covers the first 30 of the famous 108 locking techniques. ( I've been training Eagle Claw for almost 2 years now, and I'm just getting to the point of beginning to learn the Eagle Claw locking techniques. )

I enjoyed the book a lot, and throught it was well worth $20. Of course, you could always travel up to his New York school and take a couple classes.

-
    Jeremiah Spradlin

Thumbs up

GREAT!!
    Thanks for the reply, it is very informative...
    I could buy the book just for the list of forms (dunno, maybe it's my scholar-side heheheh).
    Of course, if there's also lotsa photos and some qinna, it's even better
    I definitely put it on my list then!

Dang, I'll have many many good gong fu schools to visit next time I'm in funky NY (which will happen again before I die, hopefully hehehe).
    Thanks again!

PS to everyone: feel free to give me more of your opinion on it!
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Leung Shum

I previously worked for another company that carried that book. It was quite popular and sold out. To the best of my knowledge, they never did another print run, so as it stands, it is out of print.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Its not out of print

Actually.. I believe Tuttle Publishing is re-printing it as of a few months ago. I only got mine through my Sifu as of a couple months ago ( August 2002 ).

It use to be out of print, but I'm pretty darn sure its back in print.

-
    Jeremiah Spradlin

good overall book. Too bad it didn't also include the Lohan form from the 1st book that would of made it better.

The 1st book is very hard to get now I've seen some copies available at BLT in NY.

The form list is only those forms taught by this branch. additional hand sets found in other schools are:

Bat Bo Lin wan Kuen
    Shaolin Choy
    Sui BAt Min
    Dai Bat Min
    Lok Hop Kuen

numerous other weapon sets are to be found as well.

For those interested the Hahng Kuen/walking fist form being offered by Wing Lam Ent. by Sifu Lilly Lau is 95% the same as the one taught by Sifu Shum. Just some minor differences of hand positioning and steping forward or backward.

eric

Thanks everyone!
    I just ordered a copy. Definitely, there has been a reprint (maybe two) since on all net shopping sites the book is listed either dating back to "november 2001" or "january 2002".
    Once again, thanks for the replies and the additional infos :-)
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Originally posted by ngokfei
    good overall book. Too bad it didn't also include the Lohan form from the 1st book that would of made it better.

The 1st book is very hard to get now I've seen some copies available at BLT in NY.

The form list is only those forms taught by this branch. additional hand sets found in other schools are:

Bat Bo Lin wan Kuen
    Shaolin Choy
    Sui BAt Min
    Dai Bat Min
    Lok Hop Kuen

numerous other weapon sets are to be found as well.

For those interested the Hahng Kuen/walking fist form being offered by Wing Lam Ent. by Sifu Lilly Lau is 95% the same as the one taught by Sifu Shum. Just some minor differences of hand positioning and steping forward or backward.

eric
    The reason that Lilly Lau and Sifu Shum's forms are 95% the same is because both Lilly Lau and Leung Shum studied under Lau Fat Man.

Lau Fat Man is Lilly Lau's father, easy enough.

Leung Shum's master and godfather was Ng Wai Nung who originally started his training under the super famous Chan Tzi Ching at the Hong Kong Ching Mo School. When Chan Tzi Ching moved back up to Shanghai, Lau Fat Man took over at the school. Ng Wai Nung then studied exclusively under Lau Fat Man.

So the main reason that the two forms are almost the same is because its the same system.

As far as those other forms, I've never heard of them. Where is there more information about those forms? The list that's in the book mirrors the list that's in my school (shrugs), however.

NOTE: I know forms have been added; one by Chan Tzi Ching, and the double dagger form by SiKung Shum.

-
    Jeremiah Spradlin