Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are you ready to fight?

Re: R U ready, blah blah blah

Originally posted by planetwc
    Anybody ready to handle a big boy like this guy?

Beat Down MMA-NHB style

Will you tan da? Pak Da?
    Or Run like HeLl da?
    Of course, he can't condition his brain. But then, he doesn't seem to be using it. I wouldn't go to the ground with someone so big; he's got a few pounds on me, like probably the difference of your weight added to mine.

I would look forward, if I met him in a street fight, to defending myself in court afterward for the beating I gave him. With my luck, they'd charge me as the aggressor.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Anerlich and MP, as usual, exude correctness.

Planet - When I saw that fight on Dynamite/Shockwave, and Sapp spiked him, I really though Mino was dead. Best heavyweight fight ever, but Mino should *never* fight him again (and rumor has it they're trying to make him fight Sapp again next month...) Give Sapp a few years in AMC, and a half dozen or so more fights, and the mind shudders... He should really be in the Giant division. I cringe when I see him smacking down the tiny Tomato Cans he regularly gets fed. Great training, even BTT or WCK or whatever can only reduce so much deficit. After that, you have to cheat (read: hit with moving vehicule, have tazer handy, etc.)

r5a is also correct in a way, that avoidance is key. Avoidance, however, doesn't take as much training, so even if you're successful in avoiding 90% of situations, you still need to train like heck for the other 10%.

Another point to be made is that some people take WCK for non-Self Defense, non-Fighting reasons (social activity, physical exercise, art for arts sake, etc.) and for them it wouldn't matter.

RR

btw, what band is playing in that clip. Makes me want to train right now. Bad as s
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Either Peace or War

Grendel is either his namesake, is kidding, or not very bright.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Grendel is either his namesake, is kidding, or not very bright.
    Guilty as charged. Especially the not very bright part, because I was being partly facetious as you suspected.

BTW, which Grendel am I? The comix Grendel is not to my taste. Mindless monster is more my style.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

LOL @ Grendel!!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I may be mistaken but most of you refer to sucker punches as only coming from a squared on position. I've noticed most sucker punches came from behind or from the blind side. Sadly one of the best things to learn in countering a sucker punch is how to take the punch and hopefully recover. Sometimes you're just going to go down no matter what solutions your art has or how many drills you do in class. Not something those selling solutions like to say though, bad for business.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

depends on what you call a sucker punch

90% of all fights start with some kind of verbal confrontation, in which case you should be on guard and controlling the space between you. If you let him in and get "sucker puched", then you are the sucker. serves you right.

"r5a is also correct in a way, that avoidance is key. Avoidance, however, doesn't take as much training, so even if you're successful in avoiding 90% of situations, you still need to train like heck for the other 10%."

Agreed, and things like training sensitivity wil get you a long way to being able to handle a surprise attack. Training in the basics always helps.
    Heres why I say this, as Rogue points out most "Sucker punches" these law enforcement officers speak of, not including the kind where the cop was too stupid to realize staying back is a good choice, come from behind or from the side. By a friend of the person you are facing, or by the perosn themselves when they play nice and circle around you after you have dropped your guard.
    I believe training sensitivity and awareness are what will get you through. You could train to handle all sorts of attacks, specifically, but then how hard wired are these things really? If I train for 3 months on one particular attack and then move on, what happens if that attack never occurs? Or better yet what happens in three months when I have moved on to training other specific attacks?
    While training for sport fighting often leads to this sort of training, sport fighting also succumbs to popular techniques and applications. On the street its not always so predictable.

Awareness is still the key here. A Cop friend of mine said it best, only suckers get sucker punched.

"90% of all fights start with some kind of verbal confrontation, in which case you should be on guard and controlling the space between you. If you let him in and get "sucker puched", then you are the sucker. serves you right."

Agreed, but like R5A said you may be sucker punched by his friends. Back in my bar band days I've seen the verbal confrontation happen with one of the guys backing down only to come back and jump the other guy ten minutes later without additional verbal warning. If the guy is not too drunk or too stupid he may try and make the fight happen on his terms. In some bars that hire aggresive bouncers you may have to watch out for them too.

You can't prepare for every situation that will happen in the real world.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.