Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun in Las Vegas?

Yung Apprentice

Blaine Collins is responsible for William Cheung coming to the States. Het met Sifu Cheung in Australian while in the US Navy. William O' Connell is one of the very first students of TWC in the US. He's right after Blaine Collins.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Yenhoi

I have to agree that Steve Leung is a really good WC practitioner. He was my sihing at Duncan's school in NYC. We still stay in contact.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Re: Yung Apprentice

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Blaine Collins is responsible for William Cheung coming to the States. Het met Sifu Cheung in Australian while in the US Navy. William O' Connell is one of the very first students of TWC in the US. He's right after Blaine Collins.
    I don't think Collins Sifu teaches in the Las Vegas area any more.

Re: Yenhoi

I have to agree that Steve Leung is a really good WC practitioner. He was my sihing at Duncan's school in NYC. We still stay in contact.
    Just wondering, why do you prefer TWC over WC?

Well, after 13 years under sifus in various WC lineages, (including at least 2 who learned from Yip Man), I prefered the forms, footwork and combat strategies etc., of TWC. I think Sifu Cheung says on the honor list on his site about me that I was a Sifu when I met him in 1983. After the first week of learning from him I decided to give up being a Sifu and to become his student and started from the beggining. I went back to NY and told my students that I was no longer a Sifu and that I was learning TWC from scratch. For the record he told me that wasn't neccesary that I give up my other WC training and start from the beginnng again. He said that what I learned in the past could be used effectively if I applied it correctly. He never tried to convert me. That made a good impression on me. I decided on my own that I would devote my training to TWC.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Different stories- different folks. I understand and respect Phil's s
    journey.. And I can understand and respect people chosing what they do.

For me- I already was fairly familiar with several MA styles, MA related sports and a fair amount of sportive and serious real world experience.

I picked WC in 1976 after considerable homework- was lucky( yuanfen factor) hada great version available in Tucson (Augustine Fong wing chun) a mile or so from where I lived at that time-was fascinated even as a beginner with the logic, depth, applicabilty and the versatility of the art and have never looked back or regretted it- even after exposure to other substyles or arts. Good WC has both a great set of concepts, principles and curriculum and a sure fire way of developing individuality. I continue to evolve in MA skills without switching arts.

joy chaudhuri

Well, after 13 years under sifus in various WC lineages, (including at least 2 who learned from Yip Man), I prefered the forms, footwork and combat strategies etc., of TWC. I think Sifu Cheung says on the honor list on his site about me that I was a Sifu when I met him in 1983. After the first week of learning from him I decided to give up being a Sifu and to become his student and started from the beggining. I went back to NY and told my students that I was no longer a Sifu and that I was learning TWC from scratch. For the record he told me that wasn't neccesary that I give up my other WC training and start from the beginnng again. He said that what I learned in the past could be used effectively if I applied it correctly. He never tried to convert me. That made a good impression on me. I decided on my own that I would devote my training to TWC.
    That's cool. I studied TWC under Collins Sifu untill he closed his school here in Vegas. I now study under Bradley Temple Sifu (Lo Man Kam Wing Chun). I prefer LMK WC over TWC because of the working knowledge that is tought to the student in this system. Both systems are very good, and both systems are and have been proven on the streets in Vegas.

I hear there is an Elvis impersonator that teaches wing chun and he is real kick acid!