Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanshou vs the world

Question Sanshou vs the world

Do you think sanshou is a good way to represent kung fu against other ring sports?

Yes.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

No.
    Last edited by taijiquan_student; 10-27-2002 at 12:45 PM.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

I say a wing chun guy goes in and tears **** up.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    In a short asnwer,

No.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Maybe.

No.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Nope. Gung Fu taint no sport, sport.

nospam.

True, but that doesn't mean that a kung fu student can't fight in sport format.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

In most cases San shou is just Taekwondo/Muay Thai kicks with punches from boxing and shuai chiao throws allowed so it's doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with kung fu except for the throws(which may even be judo) but could just mean set of rules.

You'll sometimes hear someone say San shou rules or Muay Thai rules or NHB rules.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

Oh yea.

No
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

Originally posted by Leonidas
    In most cases San shou is just Taekwondo/Muay Thai kicks with punches from boxing and shuai chiao throws allowed so it's doesn't neccesarily have anything to do with kung fu except for the throws(which may even be judo) but could just mean set of rules.

You'll sometimes hear someone say San shou rules or Muay Thai rules or NHB rules.
    That's gonna vary from school to school. some coaches use cma techniques only. lkfmdc does this.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Many styles draw from other styles. Sambo borrows some throws from judo. But if you go to a sambo place you will find it's very different from judo and wrestling even though it has a lot of the same techniques.

BJJ comes directly from judo. But it is different.

Now. About san shou. It may have techs from other styles but it is not the same style. Otherwise BJJ would be judo, and sambo would be judo, and everything in the world would be judo and we would all be walking around wearing judo gi's.
    Be cool, stay in school.

I don't know. San Shou is a good art to study. If people trained in San Shou do well consistently in competition then it shows that San Shou is good. It doesn't mean a Wing Chun guy or a Shaolin Changquan guy could do well. I'm not saying those are bad style, they're just the first names that poped into my head

A lot of people say San Shou isn't Chinese because they see techniques from others styles in the fights. Well, that's because many San Shou competitors are from non Chinese styles. Like Cung Le. He learned lots of Tae Kwon Do and was a college wrestling champ. San Shou competion is open to all different styles.

Nope. Gung Fu taint no sport, sport.
    What about Shui Jiao(sp?)? Why isn't "Gung Fu" a sport? I agree it's more than just sport, but that doesn't mean there aren't sportive aspects to gungfu. Competition has been a part of CMA for a very very long time.

A good quote someone posted on Raffi's message board:

"It's not the critic who counts.....but the man in the arena.."
    Theodore Roosevelt