Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can a person train to be a real fighter

Well, doing sanshou doesn't necessarily mean you won't get an adrenaline rush or be pi.ssed off, but if you don't train to develop those skills you mentioned, then of course you won't worry about them in a real fight--you won't have them.

That's my complaint with saying that sanshou isn't very important because you won't think about using those skills (distance, timing, etc.) in a real confrontation. If you don't practice those skills in sanshou, d a m n straight you won't be thinking about them in a real fight.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

taijiquan_student,

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. I am questioning how important the skills gained from sparring practice would be in a real confrontation (same scenario).

Let me put it in another way. Mike Tyson is feared by many but is he feared for his
    a) boxing skills - conditioning, timing, range, speed ect, ect, ect...
    b) punching power
    c) viciousness, savageness, badassness (you know what I mean).

Of course it is all of the above but if any one thing stands out about him it is his c).
    He seems to want to hurt people genuinely.

How confident would you feel going up against another Mike Tyson without any boxing skills and without much punching power but stilled had the c) aspect to his fight.

Ofcourse this assumes that his weight and height is exactly same as yours.

Hmmm. A giant of a man, who ain't so bright, intent on ripping me apart. I'd either try to put him down, or run like h e l l. Most likely run...fast.

Oh wait, you said same heigth and weight. So basically, a 145 lb. madman intent on ripping me apart. If I couldn't run, I would try my best keep my cool and hope that his wildness would leave holes and openings. If you can't run away, and they're trying to kill you, you have to put them down hard and fast--deal with their strike (if they throw the first strike), mow them down, get their throat, stop their heart, stomp on their knees, etc. Now, if they were as big and strong and Mike Tyson, I'd probably just die.

I can see what you're getting at. That is why I am starting to see why developing your own intent is so important, not just being able to do the techniques.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Originally posted by wckf

c) viciousness, savageness, badassness (you know what I mean).
    Personally, I think that wording is inaccurate.
    I see it as "doing what needs to be done to win/survive."

One of my Sifu once told me the wise thing to do in a fight:

"If you got a half-brick at hand, throw it at the guy and/or try to knock him out using it."
    If you succeed, you have done good Kung Fu.
    He said in the Kwoon we train attributes/abilities that we can use in a fight.

Cheers.