Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 ancestors

5 ancestors

Can someone describe this art. There is a school in my area and I am curious what the trademark moves are, how it became and what part of china it is from.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Arhat of Fury

"Im goin back to my car"
    "Get my gun"
    "Shoot Everybody"
    Arhat of Fury

wow deja vu... theres another thread on the next couple of pages about 5 ancestors im sure!

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

i did look it up, but there was no real information listed, just opinions and OT questions.

Any takers.
    Arhat of Fury

Ngo Cho Kun - a powerful fighting art and a huge influence on karate.

They generate power via their twisting of their hips and their toe-in stance tendencies. This is a very powerful muscle contraction method.

The "sam chiem" ("sanchin" in Japanese) is their primary method. However, their footwork and mentality is completely different from that of Japanese karate's sanchin set. All moves of ngo cho kun are basically situational adaptions of the moves in the sam chiem set.

At first glance, ngo cho kun appears to be strictly a stationary style. However, their advanced sets introduce methods of movement that allow the practitioner to cover great distances and groundfight when needed. Of course, everything is based on the fundamentals learned in the sam chiem set.

There's a book by Alexander Co that's extremely good. There's a huge amount of information there that can be gleaned via the practice of the material that book presents.

Like many other kung fu manuals, the true combat teaching is hidden out in the open for all to see - but only practice can make things become REAL.

Thumbs up

Excellent HKV,

Thank you for the info.(I always enjoy your posts, I like the more factual and less emotional approach)
    Thanks again

Any other input?

AOF
    Arhat of Fury

I practice Ngor Chor - great art. The flavour of the art varies from lineage to lineage (as is to be expected) but the similarities are definitely there.

Ngor Chor is an amalgamation of techniques from 5 foundation arts (the 5 Ancestors) of Tai Tzu, White Crane, Monkey, Lohan, and Ta Mo (some people include Tiger instead of Ta Mo). The difference in flavours of each lineage usually stems from a difference in emphasis on one of the foundation arts. Most lineages seem to favour the Tai Tzu. The lineage I have learned under favours the White Crane.

The style was summed up to me by my sihings as monkey legs, white crane hands, Tai Tzu strength, Lohan posture, Ta Mo's energy.

My sigung once said that there are 75 forms in Ngor Chor, covering open hand technique and weapons. From what I have seen of the art, every fighting range is covered (except shooting range - firearms are not part of the curriculum ).

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me if you have more detailed questions.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

good for defeating multiple opponents....can make ur body strong and almost invulnerable to punches and kicks(but it still is painful....sometimes LOL) :-)

our sifu is now adding kicks to our training program....ngo cho kun isnt known for good kicking ;-) although the hand tekniks and parries are quite devastating
    Last edited by pitbull; 03-20-2003 at 06:02 AM.
    kong han martyial arts assn
    zacateros st,binondo manila

Interesting, because the Lohan component of Ngor Chor provides a wide variety of kicks. But you are right, the strength of Ngor Chor is definitely in the hands
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Is there Iron Body training involved for the "invulnerability" aspect?
    ***SONIC KICK***

It seems like a very interesting & effective style. It comes from Fujian, it spread to Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore & then Australia, UK, US. Unfortunataly u don't hear much about it. Go to the southern styles section of this forum there's a thread there about Ngo Chor that has some links to some sites. AOF where in Arizona is the school?

joedoe & pitbull,

have u guys heard of the Nam Yang Association in Singapore? & there founder Master Ang? I can't remember his full name I will find the site & put it here.
    Are they well known for their Ngo Chor & does this school have a good reputation?
    On the site they called there style Tai Chor (tiger) style. Is this another dialect/name for ngo chor? & why the tiger?
    Is there a lot of tiger style/techniques in ngo chor? I read somewhere that Bak Yuk Fang was a Master in Tiger style?
    Sorry for so many questions it seems like a great fighting art.
    Last edited by GOLDEN ARMOR; 04-01-2003 at 11:13 AM.
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

I think Tai Chor is another spelling of Taizu.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

nope...i dont know of any other ngo cho stable outside manila :-) joedoe may help u on this :-) i know that there are some in the us,uk,malaysia,indonesia,etc...but i dont know them personally or know about their organization..sorry :-(

ps: i observe that we(kong han) guys make our punches more solid and put more strength into our strikes when performing at the 2000 shaolin meet...while the malaysian,indonesian,singaporean,english and american congregation prefer less hard approach...this may be one proof of variation on the master's teachings...hmmm...i read somewhere in this board that ngo cho shouldnt be performed w strength...is this the other philisophy that other ngo cho practitioners practice? please educate me on this matter since i dare not ask my seniors about this

when i say less hard approach..i mean that the hands shake when striking as opposed to the hand is still after the strike...more rigid in some senses...

joedoe: yes,we do have some kicking :-) but our kicks are more of fakes and defensive purposes than to attack...must be another ngo cho variety :-)

another note,beng kiam's grand master tan ka hong and our 2nd generation master lo king hui are friends and they visit each other when they have the time...from what i ahd heard from our most senior member,mr chua(in his late 80's)beng kiam is more inclined in the performance aspect where as kong han concentrated in the fighting aspect of ngo cho(as i was told)...this old man is amazing...he is the only person who can perform the 12ft long pole...nobody has the size and strength(and i suppose ineterest as well) to perform it in our stable...he doesnt perform the pole right now bec we are afraid he might break his bones....this man is my hero :-)

hmm...ill ask my master if i can build a website for him...
    Last edited by pitbull; 04-01-2003 at 04:43 PM.

Guile - yes there is iron body training in Ngor Chor.

Golden Armor - I have heard of a Ngor Chor school in Singapore but not much else. Tai Chor is in fact another spelling for Tai Tzu (I think Tai Chor is the phonetic spelling for the way it is pronounced in Hokkien). Tai Chor is one of the foundation arts of Ngor Chor. Tiger style is not one of the foundation arts but Ngor Chor does have a few tiger forms and techniques in it.

pitbull - as far as I know there are several lineages of Ngor Chor in existence today. China, Malaysia, Phillipines, Singapore, and Indonesia. Most of the other schools that I know of in other parts of the world are of these lineages. As far as our lineage goes, I know we have schools in Australia, USA, UK, Europe, and New Zealand.

I haven't seen much footage from the conferences but from what I have been told the Phillipines lineage seems to emphasize the Tai Chor element of Ngor Chor. Whether this is why you appear to use more strength or not I am not sure.

I know that our lineage is more heavily influenced by the white crane. The other interesting point is that Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong had learned several different arts prior to settling on Ngor Chor, so there may be influences from other arts there as well.

My opinion is that ultimately Ngor Chor is like Xingyi in that it looks hard/external but is a soft/internal style. In my experience, people start out training hard but as they advance in skill their technique becomes softer. However I do not think that you should be afraid to ask your seniors about this as it is an important aspect of the art.

thank u for enlightening me...ill ask later.

Of the singapore branches there are four that I am aware of :

Cao Biao's
    Gan De Guan's
    Lin Jiu Ru's
    Wu Cong Ming's

Both Cao Biao's and Wu Cong Ming's are associated with the NanYangShaolin Wushu Hui. They have the luohan influence as many of the schools were interwoven with that of Gao Can Luohan master. Wu Cong Ming was also a practitioner of other fujian arts of the Zhou Zi He lineage (Tiger, dog, chicken, duck etc..). They are represented in Australia, South America and Singapore/Malaysia/Indonesia.

liu Jin Ru's is referred to as Yu Ming Pai (After Cai Yu Ming)

and Gan De Guan's is also practised in malaysia (Commonly referred to as Sarawak Association)

In terms of the hard or soft approach ....well we all have that shake ....I am surprised at those that don't irrespective of the influence....it is a common fujian trait in fact. It is not a shake but the terms of release of power...if it doesn't then it may be constrained not released.

regards
    Wu Chan Long
    Last edited by Shaolin Master; 04-02-2003 at 06:40 AM.