Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: other linerages of Hung Gar

DF Guest

other linerages of Hung Gar

Is there any other Hung people out there beside the Wong Fai Hung linerage at this forum?
    Such as Tik Kiu Sam, Village Hung etc.
    I am doing a historic research on the development of Hung GA, any info will be greatly appreciated.

peace

Kung Lek Guest
    Hello-

I am a practitioner of Hak Fu Pai (Black Tiger school).

Our school website has an article on the system.
    There is a relation to Hung Gar but it is said the Hak Fu Pai predates Hung Gar.

here's the address : www.mts.net/~jamieson

it is under the black tiger article link on page 2.

Peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

CantoneseJoe Guest
    Hak Fu Pai / Fu-Jow Pai have many many similarities with Hung Ga. I think there were Hung Ga roots.

nospam Guest

TigerFist Guest
    There's Ha Say Fu and Toisan Village lineage also.

Hey Tigerfist isnt ha say fu a toisan village style?

Kung Lek Guest
    The current Hak Fu Pai system that I practice is of the Toisan (pronounced Hoy San) district of Canton.

peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

TigerFist Guest
    I dont know if its the same

hasayfu Guest
    I practice Ha Say Fu and my ancestors are from ToiSan but Ha Say Fu is not from Toi San. That said, I've heard of a village style hung gar practiced by a Sifu from Toi San. I've never seen it so I can't say if it's similar to Ha Say Fu or if he even calls it a ToiSan Hung Gar.

I've never been there but my relatives who have say it's a very tiny and poor village. As the saying goes, there are more Toisanese outside of Toisan than in it. They were the majority of the people that left China in the late 1800's.

What info do you want about Hung Gar? It's a special interest of mine too.

DF Guest
    Thank you for all the responses.
    My interest in this post is to find the historic developments of Hung Ga without the legends and folk tales. I have this belive that Hung Ga development is very similar to that of Wing Chun as stated in Robert Chu's book "Complete Wing Chun". Is it possible that Hung Ga was developed by many different martial artists in the past and not directly came from Gee Sim? That it was a pooling of knowledges by the different masters of the Red Boat or the Hung Moon.
    I do not want to raise any controversy with any of our Hung Ga brothers and sisters. What I am doing is just to satisfy my own curiosity.
    Can any of the non Wong Fai Hung linerage practioner tell us a little bit of the history of your linerage. I think this can help in my research.
    Thank you

hasayfu Guest
    Hi DF,

You have quite a job in front of you. I agree that Hung Gar history is not very well known. I've spoken to Lum Jo and he says that anything before Luk Ah Choy is sketchy. (my words) Your theory is probably closer to reality.

You have to remember that Hung Gar is a "revolutionary" art. It was forged from the Qing's take over of the Ming's. The Kiu Sau is from that era and why there is so much symbolism to it. Many of it's members where very secretive. We use the kiu sau all over now but in the early days, it was not a well known symbol. Much like LA gang members with their hand signs, it was a way to show membership and loyalty.

That said, the art took the best of all around and condensed it to quickly train fighters. Of the 5 families, Hung was the most used of the time.

Wong Fei Hong's line had educated people. Most of the other lines didn't. That's why there is so much tradition. With Ha say Fu, little is known past Si-Gung. For good reason, he was a triad enforcer.

I have seen books from China and Taiwan called "Hung Family Fist" and have seen styles that are different but more similar to Ha Say Fu then Canton Hung Gar.

Any specific questions. I could go on. I have a bunch of these little tidbits.

illusionfist Guest
    I have heard of a Wubei style of Hung Gar, and it's roots come from the first emperor of the Song dynasty. I think these are it's major sets:

Gold general's hand (Gum Gong Sao)
    Jamming Hand (Fung Sao)
    Big Combination hand (Dai Jung Sao)
    Gold Splitting Fist (sorry dont know the chinese name for the form)

On a side note for hasayfu, Is Lam sifu the only person that knows Ha Say Fu Hung Gar, or are there other masters around the world that know it. Is there somebody out there that actually knows the whole system, like somebody who inherited the style. Just wondering because i would like to know.

Peace out guys and gals [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Kung Lek Guest
    Hello-

My Si Fu teaches Hay Say Fu Hong Pai.
    It is also known as "Original Five Animals" and contains the complete sets of each individual animal from the original five.

Si Fu Kwon (Kwon Wing Lam) is the only person I've heard of that offers video tape lessons from the system, but there are many who practice this system.

Peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

illusionfist Guest
    Kung Lek, does your sifu know the whole system? I read in an article that Wing Lam didn't get a chance to learn the whole system, so does your sifu know more? I am not trying to make it seem like i am highlighting Lam sifu's shortcomings, but i am just wondering because ha say fu has a mysterious past. And from what i have been exposed to, Lam sifu is the only one that knows the system, so it's cool that your sifu learned it too.

Oh and kung lek, who did your sifu learn from? Did he learn the system from Leung Wah Chew or did he learn it from somebody else?

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

nospam Guest