Thread: kung fu I learned from tv and movies

HuangKaiVun Guest

What moves did you learn from the movies?

What moves did you learn from the movies?

In "Bloodsport", Chong Li (Bolo Yeung) kicks the thigh of Paradas (Michael Qissi) and knocks him backward.

What interested me there wasn't the kick itself, but the short sequence of shuffle steps that Chong Li used to advance toward Paradas. I learned this move directly from the movie as a youngster.

Years later, I learned the "Chik Pu" set of Bak Mei kung fu. Lo and behold, it was the same exact shuffle step.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    No replies yet? Doesn't anybody here watch movies :)?

From "Master Killer", I imitated the fighting set that San-Te and his Shaolin cohorts were doing under the watchful tutelage of a yellow-robed Yuen Tiao (Sam Seed).

When I was training Hung Ga, I was impressed to notice that the movements I had been copying were straight from "Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen".

My guess is that "Master Killer's" Hung Ga came from the Lam Tsai Wing/Lam Jo lineage.

JasBourne Guest
    "What moves did you learn from the movies"

I learned what people who don't seriously study MA *think* kungfu is, and what kind of pretty but useless moves they might try in a real fight.

:D

--------------------------------------
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
    - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut

cho Guest

the block and hit

in the Jackie Chan movie Who Am I?, there's a scene where Chan is fighting a bunch thugs in Rotterdam. one guy punches him, but is blocked by Chan's palm, who then punches over his hand to his face. Very similar to Wing Chun's Slap hand block and punch.

I've found myself not learning moves, but training routines, like from Shaolin Temple. An oldy but a goody.

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Best move I've learned from the movies is....

how to kick a pool ball in the air like a hackeysack, then with a jumping roundhouse launch it into the face of a fast-draw assassin.

Okay,you got me; that was only from the commercial.

honorisc Guest

Spinny, don'tgrab on me

At least some of my spinniness might have been influenced if not greatly furthered by th White Lotus priest in Shao-Lin Executioner, with the Kung-Fu like a funeral paper doll. "The harder you hit, the further it backs..."~Crane widow of Tiger deceased.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Fubokuen Guest

FYI...

The great Lo Lieh plays the White-Browed Villainous Taoist in BOTH "Shaolin Executioners"(with the Tiger/Crane Family) AND "Fists of the White Lotus"(with the lightbody/spinning and paper dolls)... This is the greatest Shaw Bros Villian ever.

kung fu I learned from tv and movies

So, how quickly would you get killed if you tried the stuff you see on tv and videos? Pretty fast I imagine. Post your favorite "you have got to be kidding" manuevers here.

From Star Trek Enterprise tonight.

If you are unarmed, and face to face with a killer wielding a sword, you can easily escape by leaning right, then left, then doing a forward roll diagonally towards him!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Just watch any Rocky movie to learn how to block punches with your face.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

The Sean Connery flick is The Presidio. Its actually a pretty good movie.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Thred Merged....

Never saw Presideo....

Been practicing that Martix leap...

there Is no spoon...
    Last edited by @PLUGO; 11-01-2002 at 01:50 PM.

Oh jas, you clearly have never faced the Bak Mei or Hung Ga styles before.

Trust me, it can be a very unpleasant experience - particularly for one as inexperienced as you.

the movie is Rising Sun with wesley snipes and tia carerre if im not mistaken stumblefist? he thumbs the guy under the adams apple?

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Kiss of the Dragon

i saw a jet pull off a neat block and trap move......it was done so fast....looked nice! (scene on the riverboat, in the kitchen where he briefly has an encounter with a frnech cop(who is chinese)!

I learned that you can't stick to walls like spidey does. and yeah that hurts
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."