Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Thinks SOuthern is better than Northern?

word Guest

Who Thinks SOuthern is better than Northern?

who?

WildMan_Riot Guest
    depends on what you mean by better.

Basically, Southern styles are BEST at achieving the following criteria!

1) spend more time on lion dancing
    2) damaging your hands & body through conditioning exercises
    3) becoming more "stiff" then before you started your training
    4) Getting all hung up about the cantonese translation of the shape of a hand, such as tiger's claw, dragon's claw, snake head, leapord paw, tortise shell etc
    5) doing very impressive form work but cannot fight
    6) doing the same ole moves year after year after year and then being told that one day you'll know how to use it
    7) doing warm up exercises that include 100 push ups, 100 sit ups, 100 star jumps such that you're totally exhausted before training.
    8) punching & kicking the air and at times hitting stationary targets
    9) not sparring very often
    10) be told that those techniques are actually very very deadly.

joe smoe2 Guest
    What? I dont no where you seen southern
    arts but you have not seen much of them.

1. Southern dont dance much, this is usally found in the Northern arts.
    2. We dont damage our hands, we do condition them, but I wouldnt think you would be able to tell by just looking at them.
    3. I agree, we dont have much of the fairy dancing stuff found in much of the Northern arts, but we are anything but stiff.
    3.We dont get hung up much on hand shapes, and we dont get hung up on looking like the animal, as found in the Nothern arts. (Northern is much more for show)
    4. Impressive form work? No! you have them switched, Nothern are the ones who want to impress you with those long movements.Good for show, but very hard to fight with.
    5. Yes, we do the same move year after year. They must become 2nd nature if you are going to be able to use them for selfdefense. Northern may learn 100's but cant use any of them.
    6. The warm ups in traditional Southern schools are kept to the systems movements. Not much push ups ect, unless the teacher has not much to teach. Northern may spend a hour or so doing streching movements so they are loose enough to throw those sorry high kicks and long useless movements.
    7. Most of southern training is with a partner, or bags, wooden dummy ect.
    8. True not much what you would call sparing. Southern is not much for sparring, and more for selfdefence or fighting. sparring is for fun and show. Not to useful in the real world.
    9. Do learn some deadly techniques, but this is found in all high level martial arts. Hard for Nothern to understand, much of their art is for entertainment, and sparring, and not very useful in defending themselfs.

Just my opinion, and before you go on telling me I dont know what Northern arts are? I have studied them 30 years ago, and have been all over ther world watching them. Yes; there are some good Nothern fighters out there. But much of what they do is Western kick boxing. There movements are good for excercise, or in the ring type fighting. As long as there are rules.
    AGAIN THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!!!

Joe

xingyiman Guest
    Xingyiquan(Hsing-i Chuan) is a northern style(at least the more traditional xingyi styles are) and I beleive that xingyiquan can beat any southern style, and any other style of martial arts in the world for that matter(except for maybe baguazhang(Pa Kua Chang), of course). We do not have the over extended long forms in xingyi. Don't have those sorry high kicks either.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I studied Hsing-Yi when I went to high school in Okinawa. I don't know who my sifu's sigung was, but I'm pretty sure the lineage went through Taiwan.
    The forms we practised were:
    Lien Kwan Quan
    Ba Su Quan
    Ba So Quan
    5 element
    Bird Form
    I'm not sure as to the branch of hsing yi either; but I'm pretty sure it's not HeiBei (sp?).

I've seen a lot of the techniques of Hsing Yi in the mantis style I'm currently studying- another northern style. Actually, the Tam Tui form I'm currently doing (Sup Sei Lo- cantonese because our lineage passed through HK via Chin Wu); has a lot of Hsing Hi techniques.

As far as which style is better- i think it's totally up to the practisioner. There are many good Hung Gar & Choi Lay Fut fighters; just as there are many Hsing Yi & northern style fighters. Every style is different- you can't generalize a bunch of styles because of geographic area, every teacher is different- you can't generalize every teacher of a particular style, every student is different- you can't base your opinion of a style on one, or a few, practisioners.

I like the training theories of the south: strong stances, strength building exercises, power, low kicks, conditioning.
    I also like the training theories of the north: fluidity, quickness, flexibility.

Styles strive to be complete- teaching a well-rounded cirriculum; but sometimes in order to be a more complete martial artist we need to stretch beyond the style, and include training techniques of other styles. When I say this, I'm referring strictly to working out and body conditioning, I think going on a technique-buffet from a bunch of different styles can often lead to: "jack of all trades, master of nothing". However, Southern stylists should be able to kick as high and move as fast as northern stylists- for it will help them. Northern stylists should be able to generate as much power behind a strike (with arms as hard) as southern stylists, with stances just as deep. I know most of this doesn't apply to hsing yi. In my opinion, Hsing Yi's strongest asset is it's transition from form to fighting. All martial artists should strive to be able to effectively use the techniques they learn in fighting situations.

xingyiman Guest
    Sorry if I sounded arrogant, I know that was immature. I just said that to get a reaction, as I am currently researching Xingyiquan, and I was trying to find out if there any weaknesses to the style. I would also like information on the differences between the Northern and Southern Tiger styles. Thanks, and sorry :-)

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I'm not sure about northern tiger style- I'm unfamiliar with it. I can say that the Tiger half of Hung Gar Tiger-Crane is characterized by low stances, powerful ripping claws. From what I've heard the tiger is the close range techniques, and that the crane is responsible for the long, circular punches.
    The tension sets that Hung Gar is famous for is attributed to the Tiger.

I understand what you mean about Hsing Yi; and how you're making it an issue of research as opposed to trying to make cocky statements. The only things I was trying to mention are:
    A. Not every student of the system is weakness-free, just because the system was designed that way.
    B. There are many schools that can make the claim that they are complete (ie. Mantis, eagle claw, almost any cma).

Monkey Guest
    Lost_Disciple
    Based on the forms Ba Su Quan and Ba So Quan it would seem your lineage leads back to Hung I-Hsiang from Taiwam.

Kung Lek Guest
    Hello-

All systems have their merit.

I find it a little unusual that those of you who attend soutern schools do not Lion Dance.

Lion Dance is of very high importance in the southern traditions and is less likely to be found in a Northern school.

Lion Dance refines and hones ones Kung Fu skills by the doing of it.

Please feel free to check out what small information we have at our school site on the connection of Lion Dance to Kung fu training.

It's at: www.mts.net/~jamieson

Peace all

------------------
    Kung Lek

WildMan_Riot Guest
    Southern school is ALL about lion dancing. Their whole school of KF is geared towards performance. Shake it to the left.... shake it to the right.... It's great to watch. They can't fight, but who cares, just sit back and enjoy the show!

Kenji Guest
    Historically northern styles have been more dominant than the southern ones in full contact events and challenges. And generally the champions of the northern styles are known China wide but the southern ones are normally only known in their particular areas.

JoeSmoe, what northern styles did u study? Maybe u studied Wushu stuff in which case it is understandable why u think it's crap. And im my experience, southern schools does do more lion dancing stuff.

joe smoe2 Guest
    I studied a few of the Shaolin Northern Arts based on like most the five animals. I didnt mean to say i think they are crap. And yes there has been many known Nothern famous fighters. Anyway we hear more about those fighters. Most of this is self promotion, or there large school or organizations promoting this. I merely responed to The WILD MAN's comments. I am not going to duck anything. I do not think Norhtern arts are geared more towards the fighting aspects of the arts. I think it the opposite. If you are Nothern you will think they are. I dont.

Years ago when i was taking some of these arts i thought that most of what they taught was theory. It did not appear practical in any shape or form. I am refering to the ones that count on high kicking as 50 -60% of there system. Works good in these contests! Cause there is rules! Anytime you only have 1 leg on the ground you are not doing things very smart. Anytime you have to make a big wide movement to hit someone it is not wise. Again in contest, you will get away with it. If you are fighting someone who fights the same way, it will work good.

NOW! If this is what you think is good, GO FOR IT! I dont care!! Im sure your teacher can come up with thousands of reasons I am wrong. I dont care what he says. This is my oppinion. But one thing I have noticed through the years. As these masters of the Nothern arts get higher level in their art, they tend to look more like the short hand arts. They take out the useless movement, and look like they could be from a short hand southern branch. Again this is what I think. You will notice they make their kicks lower and shorter. The range of movement is shorter. The hands are 80% of any good fighting art. Legs are used for a good root, so you can transfer the power to the hands. The movement is as short as possible, so as to not create openings. Yes; there is some Nothern systems that take advantage of this. But they are mostly the so called internal Northern systems.

Further more usually when someone refers to themselfs as the "WILDMAN", they are not wild at all. And lion dancing, would change from school to school. Some teach it, and some do not.

Joe

WildMan_Riot Guest
    Joe Smoe2

You can say all you like about Northern arts, but to say that I'm not wild really hurts my pride. I grow a long beard, ride a Harley, booze out all day and pick fights at the local bar. But on Sunday - i go to church and conduct sunday school - teaching kids how to be nice to one another. In the evenings I just go on a wild rioting rampage. The local law enforcement agency give me the name Wild Man Riot for gooood reasons!

Northern arts have VERY little high kicks. The legs are used to take out the opponents balance, knees, shins and also used for locking when you're in close. And you learn it at an early stage. Classical Northern styles are "no nonsense" in their approach. On the other hand Southern styles tend to be very stiff and impractical.

wedgie Guest
    How's it goin peoples? Stirred up a bit of a hornets nest have we? I can see good and bad in both but I think that to say one is better than the other is a bit harsh. It all comes down to what you want from your art cause if you wanna fight youll learn to fight regardless of whether its north or south.

A lot of responsibility is placed on the sifu as basically not everyone wants the same thing from the art, as I'm sure you all are aware. Personally I want to be able to defend myself and my family in the quickest possible way!

Now if you wanna get technical the southern styles were supposedly taught in the shortest time possible as fighting was the main function for learning due to the rebellion. The northern styles having more time to master their arts placed more emphasis on the softer side.

Anyway this does make for an interesting evening and this little black duck from the wonderful land of OZ is in no way an expert but I do enjoy a good stir.

In case anyone was wondering I study southern -jow ga- and my wife who is sitting here next to me studies northern -seven star
    mantis- and would hit me if I said anything bad about it!!!!!

I hope this debate does continue as it can only broaden our minds.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    One reason I study, and love, 7 Star Preying Mantis so much is that it's pretty much a mix of both northern and southern, eventhough it's called northern.
    Lo Kwang Yu took the lineage through Chin Mo, which went as far south as Macau.
    At my school they teach lion dancing -though I'm not sure if the lion dancing was somehow passed by Hung Gar through Chin Wu.
    I think it's useless comparing northern styles to southern styles. A style by style comparison would be easier. Not all aspects of northern styles resemble the wushu compulsory chang quan form. Not all southern styles can be typified by Hung Gar and Wing Chun.
    Fukien is pretty southern, correct? Yet Fukien white crane is noted for long, flowing techniques- as well as some high kicks. Snake, as far as I know, is another southern style- this has acrobatics that aren't found in other southern styles (flying leg scissors). Hsing Yi is a good example of a northern style that doesn't "follow the rules". I don't see why people want to split the larger group of CMA into 2, bitter, smaller groups of northern and southern. If you're going to split it up, split it up on a style by style basis. Generalization and prejudice have never done anybody any good.

BTW- does anybody else take shuai chiau alongside another CMA? I've found that this has given me a WHOLE new outlook on technique, applications, and visualization.