Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who Thinks SOuthern is better than Northern?

wait wait...

Isn't southern MMA better than northern MMA?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Cool North v. South (Why Compare)

This must be an argument that has probably been going on as long as these arts have been practiced.

After reading a few streams to this thread I realize there are a lot of stereotypes about both northern and southern styles and, like all stereotypes, there is a bit of truth in those descriptions. When speaking to my Segung recently about the differences he discusssed his take on how Northern styles are influenced by the Daoist belief, while the Southern styles are based on the Buddhist belief system (e.g., northern styels tend to be internally oriented, looking inward for power; while southern styles tend to deal mosty with the external, effecting the impact of power.) While I'll admit this is may be a generalization, it obvioulsy bares a kernal of truth, as shown by the streams above. Especially if you consider the prodominant Northern styles popularly practiced (Tai Chi, Xing I, BaQua) and prodominant southern styles practiced (CLF, Hung Gar, Wing Chung). But this theory misses that point of how all styles, in some way, incorporate both internal and physical aspects. They just tend to concentrate on one aspect more than another. It also leaves out those that styles that seem to combine both in their forms (Praying Mantis, Crane, Dragon).

As the wise Master Bruce Lee showed, one can learn something from all styles, once a person has mastered a "core" style. They can then make up there own style from what they have learned from their core and more. CLF, itself, is an example of how different styles can be combined to come up with an effective fighting form.

Personally, I think comparing the two is like comparing red and white wines. Both are special and exceptional in their own ways, and each offer their own unique flavor. When it comes right down to it, whether one choices to practice either a northern or southern style, it is the act of practicing a martial art at all is what matters. For some northern styles are more effective, while for others a southern style would be effective; and this can be based on something as simple as a person's body type, their age, or their physical ability/agility. In the final analysis, it's up to practitioner to develop their martial art to defend themselves, but it is also practical to, at the same time, develop an understanding of not only the physical, but spiritual and health aspects of the art they choose to practice.
    Last edited by gregdread; 05-03-2006 at 10:50 PM.

you know, if you keep going with that train of thought, you'll get mired in the minutia and start to see how meaningless the argument is to begin with.

in truth, the differences are superficial and not important overall. ONce kungfu is achieved, geographical differences, names, pais all that stuff is a wash really.

but that's just my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.