Thread: Jam Master Jay shot to death

Angry Jam Master Jay shot to death

Last edited by Leonidas; 10-31-2002 at 05:03 PM.

20 years of inspiration...

I started my Hip Hop journey in 1982, after being exposed to the culture by cats from D.C., NY, LA and East St Louis. I started off a "popper" and a "breaker", and after hearing Jay Mizelle's seminal cut, became totally enthralled witht the art of manipulating sound waves with one's finger-tips. I've been DJing and producing, ever since.

Tupac and Biggie were insignificant to an old-schooler like me, at least as far as overall cultural contribution is concerned. They left much more negative than positive. Brothers like Rakim, KRS-1 and Chuck-D, had comparable or superior skill, without all the negativity associated with fake, hip-pop, gangsta', crooked- crip-cop-conspiracy rap. Those cats stereotyped true B-Boys and B-Girls for years.

Jam Master Jay and Run-DMC paved the way for the "fad" music, rap, to become available to the suburban, rural and worldwide masses. People talk of the contribution Rock has made to our society, but fail to see or hear the influences Hip Hop has had on 2, now 3 generations. Next time you hear Tom Brokaw or any other established type use terms like "24-7", "365", "Peace", "the Bomb" or the myriad other terms used by the "rap fad" haters, just remember that dudes like Jam Master Jay have more influence on everyones life than you can fathom.

Plus, without the remake of "Walk This Way", Aerosmith would be dead. Steve Tyler is cool, but his continued success after this single brought us Liv! Wow, I love Run-DMC & JMJ!!! Run DMC was at the top of their game at the time, and Aerosmith was floating in Rock-n-Roll limbo.

REAL Hip Hop's credo, "Peace-Unity-Love-Havin' Fun", has been neglected since the late 80's-present, culminating in the 90's to form pop-culture influenced "Gangsta' Rap". The system pushes the filth when it wants to suffocate a genre.

Jay was an original schooler who lived for his heart and art. Those clothes your kids wear and that music which will shape their sensibilities, is a result of dudes like Jay. A true virtuoso has left the building. The Almighty has already blessed him. God had blessed us with Jay's presence...

i heard it on the radio this morning

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Sad...now only if someone will tag EMINEM instead!
    A

RIP.

As much as people don't like what he says, or think he's an @sshole, you have to admit Eminem's got some flow.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

enimen has descent flow...anyone going to see his movie...8 mile aka glitter 2???
    A

Groups like Run DMC made me proud to say ima hip hop fan. Omega is right, that "fake, hip-pop, gangsta', crooked- crip-cop-conspiracy rap" as he puts it is annoying the he!! out of me. Straight garbage.

Jam Master Jay will be sorely missed.

Eminem is a good rapper like it or not. I like his music but even i admit that he does go overboard alot of the time for shock value. People continue to buy it so you can't blame him.

As for Glitter 2. I'll prolly wait for the bootleg.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

I give him credit for his music...he is talented in the rap world. But the fact that he's white and most of the population in the US are whites help him to his status!

I myself have attempted to make it in the rap world! MC FORTUNE COOKIE...but I have not found the respect or attain the fame. And why is it when I go and do my IMPROV they'll be a RIOT??!! I don't even get a chance to do my SHIET!!! Everytime...I mean I'm very courteous to the audience...I go up there and say," Whassup NIGGASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"
    A

I'm not a big hip-hop fan but RUN DMC introduced me to a new world so long ago. It's the death of a pioneer. RIP JMJ.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

i'm not really into music at all..but it's a shame when people die. sorry to hear this.

I am both shocked and outraged at the death of Jam Master Jay. I still remember blasting the "Raising Hell" album everyday while doing my childhood chores. As a young teen, they were my favorite rap group. They weren't thugs, and they were always positive. So it is a piece of bitter irony that Jay went out like he did. It was not a fitting end for someone who influenced so many. Today's rap artists are to me, a slap in the face to the road paved by groups like Run DMC, Boogie Down Productions, and Public Enemy. These were groups that had true skills and used them to promote peace, unity, education, and self awareness. Now all we've got are these thuggish gang bangers who are in it solely for the money. They rap about guns, killing, and doing drugs. But, since it is looped over a funky beat, I guess its all good. I mean it must be since so many people are buying it. I must say that being a "thug" is nothing to be proud of. It never was. So many rappers are glorifying it, that young kids of all nationalites are aspiring to live this lifestyle, thinking that it is all fun and games. I must say that as an African American male, I find a lot of these new age rappers to be an embarassment. They are merely glorifying and perpetuating the exact stereotypes that positive African Americans are struggling to do away with. Jay was one of the good ones. Rest in Peace and God bless!
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

Ode to Jam Master Jay...........

Artist: Run-D.M.C.
    Album: King of Rock
    Song: Jam Master's Jammin'

Chorus:

Couldn't wait to see, Jam Master jammin'
    Couldn't wait to see, the Master jam

Couldn't wait to see, Jam Master jammin'
    Couldn't wait to see, the Master jam

Verses:

[Run-D.M.C.]
    He's a one-man band, in his own right
    Jam Master jams to the broad daylight
    No instruments needed, just two record players
    A stage, a crowd, and two rhyme sayers

[Run]
    Ingredients are here, so have no fear
    Definitely defy the position is clear

[Run-D.M.C.]
    You couldn't be late, hesitate to debate
    Jam Master is here and you could not wait

(chorus)

[Run-D.M.C.]
    Now he's the Jam Master, and we're the emcee's
    Like lightning and thunder, we're knockin down trees
    While sucker DJ's, are bustin out Z's
    My man Jam Master's stretchin hard 'cross seas
    So why don't you listen, or you'll be missin
    The cuts and the scratchin bass treble and the mixin
    The force and the power comin hour after hour
    So get up off the walls don't you be a wallflower

(chorus)

[Run-D.M.C.]
    The alert is read, this is what we said
    The meaning of Master means he's ahead
    The meaning of Jam is ??
    The records that he plays when the crowd's up on it
    And when he comes on, the crowd goes off
    It's all hard rock, there's nothing soft

(chorus)

[Run-D.M.C.]
    He adds a little soul, to rock'n'roll
    Every record that he touches, turns to gold
    He's well conducted, self-instructed
    His style's worthwhile, heavenly constructed
    Mechanically inclined, and if you don't mind
    He adds spice to your life time after time
    I think it's bout time, to heed the long lecture
    We rock our rhymes for the Jam Master

(chorus)x2

[D.M.C.] + overlaps last scratch
    His name Jam Master, call him Jay
    The crowd goes wild when he starts to play
    Everything is correct, and A.O.K.
    Jam Master's on the move but his sounds wills tay

1/2(chorus)

[Run-D.M.C.]
    From end to start, start to end
    Not only does he scratch, but he's our friend
    We could not wait, to let you see

[Run]
    The things that he does for D and me

(chorus)x1.5

I know its kind of hard to rhyme to it without the music but since everyone else is posting songs i felt compelled to do it too.
    Last edited by Leonidas; 11-01-2002 at 12:21 PM.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother