Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help With Sparring..

Help With Sparring..

I'm in the Basic 2 level of our sparring class, where we're doing drills on blocking kicks and punches and beginning one step sparring. I'm a little discouraged because I'm finding that I'm having a problem with something that I feel is probably beyond my control, and not something I can really practice to improve, but maybe some of you more experienced guys or gals can help me out here. I'm not really having that much of a problem with performing the techniques, my problem is with reacting. When we do the drills where I know exactly what's coming (e.g. roundhouse kick, straight punch, etc.), I'm okay with that because once I see my partner even move I jump right in to the defensive technique knowing what's coming at me, but when we do drills where my partner has the option of throwing different types of punches or kicks, I'm having a hard time reacting to that specific type of attack and responding with the appropriate defense. It's like I'm not really picking up what the attack is until it's too late to respond appropriately. It's not to the point where I just stand there and would take the blow, but it's to the point where I don't have time to respond with the appropriate technique, I'll just have time to step back out of the way. For example, if my partner has the option of throwing a push kick or roundhouse kick, my defense for those are two completely different techniques, and by the time I really pick up which kick he's coming with, it's too late to do the right defense, so I either just step out of the way or step backwards. Part of me thinks it's an age thing (I'm 37) where my reaction time is just slow, but then I think of other people who are older than me who can react very quickly, so I dunno....

Sounds quite common

From the sounds of things you are fairly new to Martial Arts. That being the case, give it time. Right now your body does not instinctively react with the move you are practicing.

If you do the SAME exercise (pair up with a partner and have him/her throw the same punch - any random arm/punch) and let yourself do whatever you want...duck, run, drop to the floor - whatever - your natural instincs will cause the body to react...in the NATURAL way. Until your martial arts training becomes more natural, more instinctual - your mind has to take the time to say, "Ok, put foot here, lift hands this way....." etc etc etc.

The only way to get past this is to simply practice and practice a lot. In time - the movements will become natural and you will react accordingly.

One other thing - in your training - as you learn more and more techniques - don't fall into the habit of practicing them all - all of the time. (assuming your system has forms) - Do your forms and practice all of the things your teacher shows you. For fighting - take a series of moves, some kind of combination from your forms - and practice them. Practice them over and over. Work them on the heavy bag, by yourself, etc. When you free spar - use them over and over and over again. In time - that particular move will become like second nature to you. Your body will do it without thought. When you get to that point - take that combination and put it in your pocket. It has now become the first weapon in your arsenal. Now - take a second combination - and start over....in time - you will have a complete set of weapons to call upon.

Just my two cents
    "Remember, that amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic."

Duck.

it comes with time. there are some things you can do though:

1. pick one thing to work on for a certain night, and repetitively work it while you are sparring. For example, if you want to work sidestepping, make sure you side step alot while sparring. you will get hit, but A)that will get you accustomed to taking hits and B)practice makes perfect.

2. watch your opponent's body. I'm not saying focus on a certain area, but to be mindful of what his body is moving. his intention can be easily conveyed by the movements he makes as he is beginning to strike.

3. don't get in the habit of always moving backwards. you opponent will apply forward pressure, and he can move forward faster than you can move backward. you will eat punches, and lose your balance. If you do move backwards, you may want to step offline, so that you are not moving back in a straight line.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    it comes with time. there are some things you can do though:

3. don't get in the habit of always moving backwards. you opponent will apply forward pressure, and he can move forward faster than you can move backward. you will eat punches, and lose your balance.
    I've used that to my advantage. The guy was really big and it was intimidating. Ya'll know you can lose a lot of technique to fear. It's not just me, is it?

So, yeah, this guy got me running backwards. Of course he kept coming at me. The whole situation put him in a really strong control position and me in a weak one.

Until I stopped and threw a side kick. He had so much momentum coming at me, he ran right into it. Just impaled himself on my leg.

It was a beautiful thing.

I don't know if I would reccomend doing that intentionally. But, if you find you've allowed yourself to get in that position, it's an effective out, in my experience.
    He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak. - Montaigne

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SevenStar

1. pick one thing to work on for a certain night, and repetitively work it while you are sparring. For example, if you want to work sidestepping, make sure you side step alot while sparring. you will get hit, but A)that will get you accustomed to taking hits and B)practice makes perfect.

Excellent
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

Sleemie,

as has already been suggested, time and deligent practise will bring the reaction you are too eager to achieve. This is a huge problem with many students - being too eager. Motivation is great, but it can lead to sloppy technique and quick fixes which in the long haul become more detrimental.

If you are having problem executing a technique..great. What a perfect opportunity to get to understand your body and to train your mind. Focus and allow yourself to get hit a few times, but learn from each hit. Why did the technique not work? Try it with more than one training partner. Ask your teacher for some drills to aid in timing, stance, state of mind, etc. You are building a foundation from which all else will come...spend the time and do it right. Understanding the space of time before contact will bring you closer to the skill you so desire, not to mention to the opponent you want to smash into little pieces like a cheap immitation jade cong

nospam

well i have that problem a bit i don't know if it's my head injury ( yeh i got hit by a car) but anyway im going to see some of my physios about it

i agree with nospam 100%
    i found that by training the hardest with the techniques i had the hardest time with, everything else became much simpler, more fluid and more instinctual.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

IMO… get out of the habit of having X defense for Y action… if a side kick is coming and u read it as a round house don’t not defend it just cause u read it wrong… if thats what u are doing… even if your instinct is to back off… do that… its better than eatin a kick just because u blanked on a technique... and keep drilling appropriate responses... some will start to come out naturally... side note... i was at a pary with some friends and we got to playin around and he got to a blind angle and threw a puch whick i didnt see coming... which instinctivly blocked... shocked the sh!t out of me... but i noticed how ingrained training can be with the RIGHT practice...

also tailor your offense and defense technique wise to how u react naturally… if u are a slugger naturally… pick and work on tecniques like keeping the ribs protected and sweeps and leg hooking… if you are a stick and move guy… work on fast footwork, moving your head and so forth... u have a whole system to work from... find out what fits and use them... u wont be able to use everything ...

Sparring is not easy because a lot of it is analytical. YOu have to see why you're getting hit, what you're doing wrong and how not to be greedy for speed and such.

I remember my sifu would have us sit down in a circle after we sparred and discussed what just happened. He would tell us to go around the circle and say a few good things about the other students fighting ability and a few weaknesses that we capitalized on. It made us see fighting in an analytical and non competitive manner.

Kung Fu Books website

Echoing what several have already said, the ability to read an attack early is perhaps the most precious aspect of martial arts training. It takes time to learn becuase you must reduce it to reflex. There is no time for thought.

"When we do the drills where I know exactly what's coming (e.g. roundhouse kick, straight punch, etc.), I'm okay with that because once I see my partner even move I jump right in to the defensive technique knowing what's coming at me..."

My suggestion would be to quit making your defensive drills a "race" to get your guard up and try to "see" more. If you treat the canned attack-defend drills as no more than a race to get your block in place at his first quiver, you miss a very important part of the drill. That IS your opportunity to learn to see that particular attack develop. Challenge yourself some during these drills.

Hold off in reacting as long as you can.
    Make yourself see more.
    Use "soft-eyes" (unfocused) to watch the whole opponant.
    Don't let yourself focus (fixate) on what will be the first part to move.
    Relax and breath.

Be patient. It takes years to learn this.

I appreciate all the responses here...it makes me feel like there's some hope after all. I really don't get much practice at it, so I probably shouldn't feel bad. We only get 2 hours a week of sparring class, and I've only been at it for about 11 weeks roughly, and it's not even 2 hours every week because some weeks I can't make the second class. I actually asked one of the guys in the class to come to class about an hour early next time so I can get more practice in. I'll try to keep all of your advice in mind my next class. I think one big thing I need to do is relax..mentally and physically. I noticed that my shoulders tend to start hurting when we do the punching drills for a long time, and then I realize that it's because I've kind of got them hunched up and tense...and mentally I'm so focused on waiting for the person to attack and trying to figure out what they're going to do that my mind isn't relaxed enough to let things develop and just react.

Try relaxing your eyes and focus on his solar plex it is at the center of his upper body and with your eyes focused there you can see him telegraph his technique as he throws them including kicks work on it it should help
    your welcome ,
    Psycho Monk

Contact buzz...

I was originally under the impression that you were talking about sparring. I see you are doing unrehearsed 2-man drills. Sev' was right about the backing up versus lateral, angular or circular movement. Position and base are everything.

BTW, your age has nothing to do with reacting relaxed and with conviction. It's not necessarily a speed thing as much as a timing and mental quickness thing. Understand where you are at and where the attacker is at and do what you are gonna do. Practice not thinking so much, react and be proactive.

Standing with your legs shoulder width apart and your hands in front of your groin, is a good neutral position to start from.
    Look at your position in relation to the left and right side of his body and move to the side that you're closest to. If you are more to his left, your right, then move in that direction, and keep your safe distance. Use your lead weapons to strike and save that reverse kicking and punching for everyone else. Those are your power, not set up or initial strikes. Use your rear hand for parrying or controlling, too. Learn to get out of the way instead of block-punch-strike. Move and strike, and use combos when you get basic attacks down. If you must block with your lead hand then make it a grab pull and strike or block+strike (simultaneously), rather than block then stike. Practice combos, follow-ups, controls and locks, choke holds and takedowns.

Learn to be offensive and a counter fighter. Your proprioception will get better with practice. Do heavybag work to gauge your striking strength and the effectiveness of the things you are being taught. Hitting a good sized heavybag is a lot different than striking the air or focus pads. It will also help with learning the proper distance to do certain things.

Good Luck and keep training!
    Last edited by omegapoint; 11-05-2002 at 02:21 AM.