Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: must see martial art movies

will definately try and get hold of a copy of New legend of Shaolin. thanx for the recommendation!

i almost forgot.... try out Iron Fisted Monk, very entertaining, especially when Sammo tries to take his friend the monk into a brothel.
    true wealth comes from good health and wise ways.

sleemie,

Originally posted by Sleemie
    Okay....where's the best place to get these movies at a good price...of course on the net I mean, unless it's the DC area.

do yourself a big favour. go to alexandria, virginia (old town) and join video vault. self proclaimed 'worst movies in town.' they specialize in renting cult movies. outstanding horror, scifi, action, AND HONG KONG sections. you'll be able to check out for yourself some of these titles without committing to buying them.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

"I am gonna take my right foot and kick you in the left side of your face and there's not gonna be a damm thing you can do about it"...
    ... you know who said that of course....
    of course.

cogg,

just bought shaolin vs. ninja on DVD. an old favorite. it's still pretty good.

wasn't as crazy about shaolin vs. lama. but still not bad.

stuart b.

recommend movies

I am an avid fan of martial arts movies. I've seen a lot of the recent Donnie Yen movies, and others like ong bak 3, raging phoenix, chocolate, True Legend, and I saw all 3 ip man movies. Can anyone recommend me some other good ones to watch? i've basically run out of ideas. Also has anyone noticed the quality of some of the newer korean martial arts movies to come out like shadowless sword?

shaolin_allan

Follow our recent purchases thread. That's the best one for mini-reviews and recommendations. The stand-out films like you mentioned have all earned their own independent threads on this forum, but for the latest DVD/BRD releases (along with the occasional pirated version), recent purchases is the most recent. It's great for the classics as well as the fresh stuff. Start at the end of the thread and work your way back to the beginning.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

As for Korean martial arts-related movies, the only two that I might recommend are: Musa (The Warrior) and City of Violence. Of the two, COV has more stylized violence, (i.e., Taekwondo), and IMO was more entertaining, but it seems to have gotten mixed reviews on other forums. There is another one I haven't seen yet, called Fighter in the Wind, about the life of Kyokushinkai karate founder Mas Oyama that sounds interesting. But for the most part, I can't get into the Korean MA movies in the same way I can a good Chinese or Thai MA movie.

Are you mainly into recent MA films, or are you open to old-school movies as well? Because there are loads of great ones, but the tempo, the styles, the effects, etc., are going to be different, as you know. Here is a small list of some of them (plus some newer ones, too) you might want to check out:

Shaolin Prince. (1983)
    Five Element Ninjas. (1982)
    The Prodigal Son. (1981)
    Warriors Two. (1978)
    Heroes Two. (1974)
    Martial Club. (1981)
    The Master. (1981)
    36th Chamber of Shaolin. (1978)
    Return to the 36th Chamber. (1980)
    Five Deadly Venoms (1978)
    Return of the Five Deadly Venoms (a.k.a., Crippled Avengers). (1978)
    Disciples of Shaolin. (1975)
    Shaolin Intruders. (1979)
    8 Diagram Pole Fighter (will be released on DVD later this month). (1983)
    Fist of Legend (1994).
    So Close (2002).

There are some really great Sammo Hung and/or Jackie Chan films that either haven't been released on DVD, or aren't currently available, but are very good:

Wheels on Meals. (1984)
    Dragons Forever. (1987)
    The Pedicab Driver. (1989)
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-11-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Best Martial Arts Movies on Amazon Prime Right Now

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Best Martial Arts Movies on Netflix Right Now

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips