Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: must see martial art movies

The Count of Monte Cristo. The new one that was just released. You have to get the DVD version and watch the choreography documentary. Unfortunately, they cut some really cool stuff out of the release, but you can see it in the Choreography doc.

Fight Club

Snatch

Don't forget old school Segal. Yeah, I know his new stuff and his acting suck, but Hard to Kill, Above the Law, Marked for Death, Undersiege 1 & 2, and the Glimmer Man all had rock solid fight scenes.

Delta Force 2

Gross Point Blank

...and so much more.

Ok, well, I'm sort of the Kung fu movie buff of the area. I prob. own in the neiborhood of 210 kung fu movies now and have seen numerous others
    That's nothing some dude in skarbs movie fu forum claims to have almost a thousand movies in his libraries. Not that I beleive hi but if it's true I'm moving into his basement .
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Conan the Barbarian (aka Conan I)
    Monkey vs. Robot

there's a lot of movies in this thread that i thoroughly enjoyed but probably wouldn't consider a martial arts movie. hard boiled, for example. my favorite movie ever, i think. but predominantly gunplay. not enough martial arts for me to consider it a martial arts movie. (but that's obviously really subjective.)

i've seen entirely too many, both american-made and hong kong, to narrow it down very far. but to name a few:

1) fist of legend (yuen woo ping AND jet li: no brainer)
    2) best of the best (this is how i always envisioned taekwondo should be)
    3) angeltown (loves me some olivier gruner)
    4) shaolin temple (classic)

and on and on and on...
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

The Blind Swordsman.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Big Trouble In Little China. 'Nuff said.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

The Royal Tenerbaums....

"No judo! NO NO!"

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Attain your highest ability, and continue past it. Emotion becomes movement. Express that which makes you; which guides you. Movement and Mind without hesitation. Physical spirituality...
    This is Jeet Kune Do....

NorthernMantis: I counted them again....
    Yeah, I know people with more too, but my roomate owns like 65-80 kung fu movies (these I'm talking old school style, but would include things like iron monkey, which was released in like '93). Plus one of my best friends has his own collection of 199 movies (he said he didn't want to buy any more, he thinks after 200 it's concidered a problem). All in all, I only own less than half of what I've seen. But whatever.

Oh, and I missed that one Golden Arms. I'm def. a big fan of Gordon Lui
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Ghost Dog.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Yin Yang Master is every bit as good as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. But apparently nobody knows about it.

lol yeah the problem with 200 it's tha it is too little
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Red Storm Riders : is awesome and part two of it two which has a different name , but i cant remember its name right now.

LEGENDARY WEAPONS OF KUNG FU, DUEL TO THE DEATH(awesome fight scene in the end)

Thundering Mantis

I also have about 275 movies maybe a lil more most are shaw brothers though doesnt get better than run behind the scenes
    Blackspear

Okay....where's the best place to get these movies at a good price...of course on the net I mean, unless it's the DC area.

Try running a search for shaw brothers
    Blackspear

Mystery of chess boxing,

36th chamber of shaolin ,

oh and just bought 'the legend of red dragon' (jet Li)

heres a question that someone mite be able to answer: is 'the return to 36 chambers' the same as shaolin drunken monk, because my copy of return has a different description on the back that actually happens in te film but is exactly the same as sdm

some other recomendations are:
    shaolin vs ninja (not as corny as it sounds)
    shaolin vs lama
    and the fighting of shaolin monks (perculiar story of Tamo)
    true wealth comes from good health and wise ways.