Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you transfer energy ?

How do you transfer energy ?

IronFist wrote.
    How hard do you guys hit the dummy?
    This question surprises me.
    How do you transfer energy ? Is my question?
    Since I was taught that every strike should be done at full power, the only difference between a knockout and a singing strike, should be the penetration of your energy into the target.
    In other words control.
    I believe that all strikes should be more than just kinetic energy or brute force.
    I believe that concussion striking should be our goal. My definition of concussion striking is, to send a shock wave into the body SO that it will causes damage to the internal organs .(such as the heart, lungs, and brain to name a few.)
    So to my way of thinking to control the penetration of YOUR energy should be the most important element of ANY strike.

Yes! IT IS TRUE THAT You must use your whole body to create energy , but truthfully there are many ways to increace your power , but POWER is only half the battle. How do YOU use it???
    OR can you use what youve got,to its fullest? if you dont understand energy how can you?!.
    C.A.G.
    Last edited by curtis; 11-03-2002 at 07:20 PM.

How hard do you guys hit the dummy?
    This question surprises me.
    How do you transfer energy ? Is my question?
    Since I was taught that every strike should be done at full power, the only difference between a knockout and a singing strike, should be the penetration of your energy into the target.
    In other words control.
    Why should every strike be at full power? You need to be sure the direction of your force is going in the right place before you start going full power.
    S.Teebas

So if every strike is done with full power, but some are done with less penetration of energy. what is the difference between "less than full power" and "full power with less penetration of energy"? I have an idea. What's yours?

if you dont understand energy
    Well, let's suppose for a moment I don't ... your explanation of it did nothing to enlighten me further. Andrew S gave a good definition of it on the taiji thread. Does yours come close?

How hard do you guys hit the dummy? The question surprises me.
    I've heard the question lots of times, so I'm surprised that as knowedgable and erudite a practitioner as yourself should be surprised.

Would you care to answer it?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Come on guys, I thought this topic was pretty cut and dry.
    Concussion (the control of the death of your energies penetration into the target to cause internal damage.) Should be the goal,
    otherwise you are doing the same thing that most Karate systems do.

In Bruce Lee's lost interviews, he stated that a Karate punch was like steel bar, but a Gung Fu punch is like a steel ball on a steel chain, when it hits it sounds like a,WANG causing more damage.

Perhaps there is a communication gap here? I was just surprised that no one else even mentioned concussion.

Think of it in modern military terms. Which causes more damage to a human? A concussion grenade or a fragmentation grenade. The answer again is concussion (SHOCK WAVES) cause more damage to humans.

Im waiting to hear your replys.
    Sincerely C.A.G.

Personally, I really like causing internal organ damage. The last time I sparred somebody, I dispersed my energy into their lower intestine, causing their sphincter to spasm uncontrollably. It was a huge mess, and took a long time to clean up. But, we all had a good long laugh about my friends "energy enema."

Now, let me tell you about the time I ruptured my sparring partners spleen and pancreas at the same time, and then went on to shatter the dummy from the inside out when I directed my energy into its center. Maybe it was rotten wood or maybe I've just gotten really good at what I call "the hairy palm."
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Perhaps there is a communication gap here? I was just surprised that no one else even mentioned concussion.
    There does appear to be a communication gap. you appeared to ignore my questions in my response.

It seems you get surprised an awful lot.

Have you ever punched the dummy body full power? How long was your hand in the cast?

How do your training partners like getting thier internal organs concussed, seeing as you hit with full power all the time?

I've been concussed a few times. I wouldn't want to make too much of a habit of it.
    In Bruce Lee's lost interviews
    That apparently got found again, huh? I read that stuff about twenty years ago.
    Last edited by anerlich; 11-04-2002 at 04:16 AM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

curtis, email me. maybe i have an answer that you'll like.

Corey
    If you have real skill, everything is dangerous.

* remember all serious practictioners are life long students

Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai Jiang

transferring power

my friends who to tae kwon do and karate talk about punching through the target, for example, if they were to hit someone in the head, they imagine the end of their strike being at the back of someones skull

in wing chun, on connecting to the target, we explode into it
    this is why when you practice the dummy you watch for the reaction that occurs from your strikes, and can tell if they were a good hit or not. this is the main reason i think the our dummys are free and have the frames they do, and are not fixed/immobile anymore. the wall bag is for learning your structure, and the wooden dummy will really improve your explosive power on contact - for good strikes (if you have the structure).

whose to say which is better? i dont know, but i know a good strike from either will hurt like hell
    Travis

structure in motion

perhaps i should have explained exploding more - i like the term because i think it sorta gets the feel/essence of what happens on contact. wing chun's jing or something like that on contact, with a good lineup, all available muscles can be used, legs, waist, arms, chest, shoulders, wrist. this can 'transfer' a whole lot of 'power' into an opponent, because you have almost a controlled full body twitch, that really accelerates your weapon (palm/fist whatever), and can add a lot of your body mass into the strike. all of this can add up to one helluva hit
    Travis

structure in motion

Why so much power, don't you know if 60 or 70% of your power is enough to hurt someone? Using full power in a strike is like gambling if you screw up then your in the brown stuff. If you use less power then you can keep your balance easier and consequently you're more mobile. My internal organ smashing might not be up to much maybe because I don't understand energy, ooh wait no-one understands it otherwise physics would have a definition, but nethertheless if I hit someone not nesscerally as hard as possible they stay hit and the same goes for me when they tag me right back.

Concussion grenade vs. fragmentation grenade. . . ???

****, I've broken my hands on people, but I've never left fingers inside them. My kung fu must be no good! I must work harder on my detatchable finger technique. . .

Internal organ damage?

What's that sound? Thumping? Kinda rattling? Oh that's it, Wong Sheung Leung spinning in his grave.

The number of logical flaws, factual fallacies, and generally meltdowns in reality testing which seem to be going on here is truly impressive. I don't even know where to begin . . .

Backing away slowly, keeping an eye on Merry in case he thinks sneaking up and delivering an 'energy enema' would be a good turn on his nom de net,

Andrew

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Personally, I really like causing internal organ damage. The last time I sparred somebody, I dispersed my energy into their lower intestine, causing their sphincter to spasm uncontrollably. It was a huge mess, and took a long time to clean up. But, we all had a good long laugh about my friends "energy enema."
    Is this kind of phenomena the origin of these ''mat worms''?

OK! I guess I will let this topic drop.

But let me finish this train of thought, for those who are INTERESTED.

Energy is created and stored in the body. That energy can be transferred through the body, by the means of striking, or kicking. As this energy enters the opponent it creates a shock wave. If you drive in to be deep into the target, the shock wave will be minimal, causing of pushing driving type of punch. But if the energy enters the body or target and then is quickly remove, the shock created by this energy will continue to bounce around inside the target. All depending on the amount of force applied into the target can cause internal damage to soft tissues, and even compound fractures could result even in hard parts of the body such as bones.

Punching something hard with full power, may be a strange concept to some. Although what I am trying to explain is that the energy created from the punch can be controled. If the punch is at the surface of the target, you will not receive damage to the striking element (such as the hand, palm, fingers ect... ) Fortunately humans are not as hard as wood. But when striking the hardend parts of the human body, (such as the head) you must use a greater care in order to use shock waves. To create the damage desired.

Think about it, if doing a chop choie or a bil jee you penetrate to deeply into the target something will break, (normally your fingers or knuckle ) but if you sting your target you'll get greater effect. The chop choie will penetrate the target more effectively and create more pain, with less effort on your behalf.
    What I am trying to say is , there is much to striking than just striking.

Thank you
    sincerely C.A.G.

If you want your body's energy to damage the guys internals you have to use your mind to send the energy. Use your YI (intent) because the mind leads teh energy (chi).

Your body has to be connected first of all from a good relaxed posture and stancework. After that you build your energy/chi. Then you have to know hwo to move the energy around and eventually you learn how to actualy use it.

Not done in your immediate few years,kung fu books

cha kuen
    VERRY NICELY SAID.
    THANK YOU!
    C.A.G.