Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Effectiveness of Pressure point fighting (?)

1. Thumbs up

One thing I need to add is that as far as I know,one factor which effects the outcome.
    While it is true that self-inflicted tension may cause significant differences as oldjong wisely notes,in case of religious "knock-outs" and related stuff,there is lots of previously mentioned "electricity" going on (funny by the way,in some cases I have heard that there would have been use of pressure points...) there has been scientific study on such subjects.

In dim mak (pp) there is scientifical&mechanical base for what is done (call it what you wish,but TCM is science too,and has a long,long history.If needed for some reason,you can do your best by explaining it trough western medicine which is allright to me) *That was not directed to anyone specific*

"Try sticking a thumb in somebody's eye - which is one of the 36 "death" points."
    Probably true.Not directly a pressure point though,referring to my first post.Various can be found very close though...

In pp techniques in demonstration cases,there are two sides I think (this I base on my own ideas,partly)
    As previously mentioned,cooperating partners "willing" to go down.
    AND "difficult" ppl not wishing to go down (well in a case of a good technique,little can be done but just if...)
    In this second example,practitioner/receiver knows what is going to happen,is able to keep one´s cool and concentrate on what´s happening.
    If centered enough,it can be more difficult to cause notable results against such a person,however,if it´s possible to shift one´s attention elsewhere then in that case the consequences can crash down like lightning if applied.
    An person ignorant of what´s going to happen,as in an attack,is unlikely to expect to be attacked to spleen 3 which he is unlikely to be aware of...therefore there´s is also element of surprise around.
    I need more study on this subclass of the subject though.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

One other little detail!...

I have no doubts that some of these techniques may work for real in a demo setting but....The percentage (As Merry likes to say!) could be very well take a steep down course against some adrenaline pumping agressor who charges you with an ax in his hand while on crack!...

I think presure point fighting is more effective on the ground.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Pressure point striking can save your life on the street, but to base an entire fighting system around it is a joke. Ever seen a boxign match? It's hard enough to find someone's nose with yoru fist, so howbout finding their governing vessels through their armpits with your index finger?

I would advise some training with pressure points, but don't make it your main focus
    "Women are like the sun set. They're beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow."

My sifu always tells us that pressure points are unreliable. He then demonstrates this on one of the students who happens to be pretty immune to most pressure point attacks.

So gazza's advice is valid - your art must be good enough to overcome your attacker without pressure points. Pressure points are an option for you to use if you have the opportunity but they should not be your main fighting strategy.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Exclamation HKV

I've had this stuff done to me and have done it to others, and there's a lot of damage that can be done. Try sticking a thumb in somebody's eye - which is one of the 36 "death" points.
    Really?? You've done this?

So...How'd your court date go?

Not really trolling here- I think that takes plain steel cojones to do a thing like that- and to try to explain it afterwards (esp. to TEST it)....too much for me! I'll just stick with plain jane kung fu and say the dog did it.
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب

free pp info

Somone asked about more info? I have on my website the meridian charts for the points, some with brief descriptions. Im still working on it. But hey, its free...

www.pressurepointfighting.com

Again, please keep in mind this is not a stand alone system of fighting, but an addendum once you can already use your system!

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

If you want to be a good fighter and good at self defense: Train hard, condition your body, be ready to fight any time, be able to feel pain and inflict pain on others, etc. etc. I read the Bubishi. I read tons of books on meridians, kyoshu, Dim Mak, nerve manipulation, circle of destruction, 24hr cicles when certain organs are most vulnerable to strikes, etc. etc. Trust me, when someone is swinging at you, you're not going to be looking at the clock to determine the proper way ot setting up a deadly strike which will shut down the liver.
    MA fanatic

My standpoint on this is that pressure points are pretty cool weapons to have but - as Gary has been saying - you need to know how to fight first. There's no use in trying to hit a point somewhere if you know nothing of timing and distance etc.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Pressure point vs. Muay Thai

Kung fu fail as Muay Thai practitioner makes mockery of master’s pressure point techniques
    Kung fu master tries to show bicep pressure point technique can beat Muay Thai clinch
    However it just proves hilariously and embarrassingly ineffective
    Nick Atkin
    Published: 6:11pm, 10 Oct, 2019

A Muay Thai practitioner clinches a kung fu master. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

It seems the only people who believe pressure point kung fu is actually real are the “masters” who practise it themselves.
    In a video that has gone viral, a Chinese kung fu master pitted his skills against a Western Muay Thai practitioner.
    The master claimed his bicep pressure point technique could counter the traditional Muay Thai clinch, despite his opponent also being a lot bigger than him.
    The results are as hilarious as you’d expect.

The Muay Thai practitioner applies the clinch, and the kung fu master starts hitting him with chops to the bicep – one of the supposed pressure points that, if struck with a direct hit, can instantly defeat an opponent.

The opponent just shrugs off the chops and keeps the clinch tight, fastening his arms around the back of kung fu master’s neck to reduce the distance.
    Kung fu ‘master’ gets comeuppance from taekwondo fighter after sucker eye-poking Chinese kick-boxer
    Seemingly frustrated, he then tries to knee his opponent (which, of course, is a dangerous game against a Muay Thai fighter if you’re signalling that knees are OK).
    Thankfully our Muay Thai man goes easy on him – it’s just a sparring session after all.
    THREADS
    The Effectiveness of Pressure point fighting (?)
    Muay Thai
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart