Thread: sword arm

sword arm

i have noticed that even the heavier broadswords and hardwhips are used with one hand. so are there some experts walking around with giant right arms? also, i was wondering what benifit a one handed grip has over a two handed.

My right arm (in particular my forearm) is quite bigger than my left from broad sword. It's kinda wierd actually. I've tried to balance it out with doing conditioning with just my left but it'll be while till they're even. Hopefully I'll learn a double weapon form and balance it out someday.

Diu Sao

i was wondering what benifit a one handed grip has over a two handed.

If you use two of your chosen weapon you'll need to use a single hand

rock lock

Throwing the rock lock, a rock with a handle carved, in is part of traditional Chinese weightlifting.
    It will help the body and muscles be more balanced.

for a while, my right forearm was noticeably bigger than my left. from eskrima practice. yeah, we did double stick. and we practiced with the off hand. but the majority of our work was done with the right hand. so...

and to my mind, the advantage of a single hand grip, assuming you have a weapon that allows it, is maneuverability. you can hit angles and movements with one hand that the extra pivot point of two hands wouldn't readily allow. the extra maneuverability would also have implications for power generation and control as well. for my money, i generally prefer one-handed weapons.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

One advantage of two handed is that it really messes up armor. However, it seems less manueverable to me, and I'm more into the duelling weapons than the war ones.

Also, one hand being free is handy when you lock up with the other person, as you can then apply chin na to their weapon hand/arm. Unless they do it to you first.

yeah, that's another good point. one hand free affords a level of control that's far more difficult with both hands taken up (though a very short weapon like a knife does afford a decent amount of control as well).
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.