Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Southern Style....

Snake_Fist Guest

Favorite Southern Style....

If you please could you state your favorite Southern Style and why it best fits you.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Bak Siu Lum for me. I've dabbled in Southern Tiger, 7-Star Mantis, Hung Ga, Bak Mei, Wing Chun, and Lama.

I like circular motion, I like flowing movements, I like the mobility in the footwork, I like the way the weapons philosophy reflects that of the empty hand sets, I like the versatility of the techniques, and I'm learning the style from a reputable (but to be unnamed) source.

rocklion Guest
    My fav style is Yau Kung Mun. It suits my body size and i think the hand work is awesome. I also enjoy the emphasis on lion and dragon dancing.

Lau Guest
    Hi Speckle

Welcome to this board. It's good to see someone of the Yau Kung Moon style. I practice Pak Mei myself. A lot of people on this board are trying to find out the history of Dragon Style, Southern Praying Mantis and Pak Mei. And I heard Yau Kung Moon and Pak Mei have a lot of common history. So I hope you are willing to shed some light on a few things from a Yau Kung Moon perspective. Like
    - What's the history of Yau Kung Moon and how does it relate to Pak Mei?
    - What are the fist forms in Yau Kung Moon?
    - Are there any Yau Kung Moon websites?
    If you're interested in the shared histories of Dragon Style, Southern Mantis and Pak Mei, please check out the shared Hakka History thread.
    Regards, Lau.

Jimbo Guest
    My system is Choy Lee Fut.
    I like the versatility of long and close-in fighting, circular, straight, and angular strikes, weapons, applications, sparring, Qi Gong, etc. It keeps me interested.
    Jim

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Everyone,

I will have to say Lung Ying and Bak Mei. So hard to choose. Lung Ying's footwork and its bold and powerful strikes are second to non to other southern styles. Bak Mei is just plain direct and fierce to the point that it's "nasty". It's the polar bear against the wolverine. How to pick?

Peace
    Mantis

illusionfist Guest
    HUNG GAR!!!!!! I like the no nonense applications. I dabbled in wing chun for a bit but i felt that it didn't suit me.

Peace [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Kristoffer Guest
    O Shin Ti Tan

cause its the best, thats why. : )

Lau
    Yau Kung Moon was supposed to be found by Har Horn Hung who trained under Tit Yan Sim Si (Third Generation Yau Gong Moon Master). And later on trained under Guy Ban Mook (3rd generation Yau Gong Moon Master).
    But in the Hakka world, there is a saying that Har Horn Hung trained under Cheung Lai Chung, but Cheung and him had a agrument, so Har change the name to Yau Gong Moon....etc

Wilson
    http://www.southernmantis.co.uk

J Guest
    What is Yau Kung Moon?

Thanks

rocklion Guest
    Lau,

thanks for the welcome, i will gladly share what i know..firstly i practice in sydney australia, the Australian Yau Kung Mun Association has a website you can check out
    http://www.yaukungmun.mkswap.com

my sifu teaches 20 hand forms but he has said that its possible for there to be more in hong kong. My chinese is quite poor so the only form name i could attempt to type is
    "Tung Chi Kuen"

The history as i know it is that the style was passed down from a monk to a man from the public who taught my Si-Gung who migrated to sydney in the 70's

hope this helped

Wilson,

Do you practice Yau Kung Mun? If so i would hope you can answer a few questions for me.

Just out of interest, Har Hon Hung was indeed taught by the monk Tit Yan. Grandmaster Ha Hong Hung was told by Tit Yan to name the style Yau Kung Mun.

Speckle

Hi there. To answer your questions
    1, I've never trained in Yau Gong Moon.
    2, I've visit Sifu Har Duk Kin in HK before. And also Yau Gong Moon is a popular kung fu system in HK, they do demos very often, esp excel in lion dancing.

regards
    Wilson http://www.southernmantis.co.uk

Lau Guest
    Hi Again,
    Thanks for the answers. Perhaps we can check the simularities between Yau Kung Mun and Pak Mei Pai to see is the are from the same source. On a Pak Mei website I found a list of Pak Mei hand forms which are listed below. I don't think they are all Pak Mei. In the nine step push book by H.B. Un only 3 'original' pak mei forms are mentioned:
    - Gau Bo Tui (9 Step Push )
    - Sup Bart More Kiu (18 Arms Contact)
    - Mount Foo Chui Lum (Fierce Tiger Comes Out From Forest Set)

Speckle, Perhaps you can take a look at the list below and see if you recognize some of the names. It would be interesting to see if you have forms by the same names. I looked at the Yau Kung Mun website and saw a picture of a trident (tiger fork). We also have a tiger fork form. I just started training a little piece of it. I also once saw a Yau Kung Mun form on video an it looked a lot like our Sam Mun Chuen form.

1. The Forms of Pak Mei (taken from Hong Kong Dragon and Pak Mei website)

1) Elementary Stage:
    1. Chik Bo (Straight Steps)
    2. Shek Sze Sap Gee (Cross Set)
    3. Chuk Sup Yee Day Shat (72 Earth Ghost Set)
    4. Sam Mun Chuen (3 Gates Punch/Group Fighting Set)
    5. Siu Sham Mun (Little 3 Gates)

2) Intermediate Stage
    1. Gau Bo Tui (9 Step Push )
    2. Sam Mun Ba Gua (Three Gates Eight Diagrams)
    3. Ying Jow Nim Kiu (Eagle Claw Linking Arms)

3) Higher Stage
    1. Say Mun Ba Gua (Four Gates Eight Diagrams)
    2. Dan Jin (Single Power)
    3. Sup Bart More Kiu (18 Arms Contact)

4) Master Stage

1. Mount Foo Chui Lum (Fierce Tiger Comes Out From Forest Set)
    2. Ng Hong More (Five Elements Contact)

Regards, Lau

wisdom mind Guest
    Pak Mei all the way.

EXPLOSIVE! SUPERFAST! BURNING!

MoQ Guest
    HuangKaiVun-
    Bak Siu Lam? Bak Shil Lum? Ummm... "White Temple Boxing"??? "Bak Shaolin" IS North Shaolin(long, flowing movements, fluid footwork)...beware Mandarin/Cantonese and dialect mixes in terminology...QUESTION the Shi Fu... AGAIN...

[This message has been edited by MoQ (edited 04-22-2000).]