Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Southern Style....

wedgie Guest
    hello all

I'm in Perth Western Australia and i would have to say that my personal favorite southern style would be Chowka (Jow Ga. It fits my personality and body to a "T". It's an aggressive style but reasonably agile which is a bonus as I prefer to avoid direct confrontation and come in from the side or behind. I prefer the southern styles moreso as they seem to be more direct with minimal but this is my personal belief. I am interested in other styles though and I am not biased in my thinking.

I would be very happy to talk with anybody re chowka or just martial arts in general.

have a good one!

rocklion Guest
    Lau,

There is a form called

Sup Jee Kuen (cross fist,i think)It may be something like your Shek Sze Sap Gee (Cross Set) but im not sure (havent seen the pak mei one)

Also i think our tiger fork forms
    are similar.

Hope this helps

Hey, all!

I practice wing chun myself, though I'm fortunate to have access to a sifu who teaches a style direct from mainland China, so it's pretty different from Yip Man style wing chun. No forms at all.

Here's a link to an article that somebody wrote about our school:
    http://www.wingchunkuen.com/features...opiensan.shtml

------------------
    -----
    Peace.
    Reverend Tim

Kung Lek Guest
    Hey Tim-
    Long time no see on the board.
    Where have you been?
    Have you been seeing that other board out there?

My favourite southern style is the style I practice of course!
    I also like the Northern system I practice and am looking forward to gaining yet another southern style in due time.
    The style I practice is Sil Lum Hak Fu or Hak Fu pai.
    Its a great style. if you want a little more infor about the style, My Teacher has written a goos articl about Hak Fu pai (Black Tiger System) and it is available for reading at www.mts.net/~jamieson

enter the site and choose Black tiger Article on the site links page.

Peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

Kung Lek Guest
    MoQ

Bak Sil Lum = Bei Shaolin = Bak Siu Lum = North Shaolin.
    You are correct that this is a northern style however Bak Sil Lum is the Cantonese name (southern) for the system.

It is definitely not even close in flavour to southern styles.

Bak also means "North" by the way as Pak is the cantonese way of saying "White"
    The "p" is pronounced as a "B" as in "Pak Mei"
    Blame it on the scholars who derived multiple ways to romanize the spelling of chinese words using the arabic alphabet.

**** Scholars! -kidding haha.

Peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

RFM Guest
    Jingang Quan (Diamond Fist). I haven't run into anyone else who practices it (outside of my fellow classmates) yet. I saw a video on the Jingang Quan form, while the movements are consistent with what I practice (in regards to speed and technique) I was not familiar with the form, which may very well be taught at levels higher than my own.

I study this art because, it seem like a good thing at the time and now I'm hooked.

Bob

------------------
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

mantis108 Guest
    Hi RFM,

Saw you posting in the "Endurance ..." thread. I'm impressed. Martial arts in China was and still is military arts. My grand master Lam Yui kwai (Dragon Sign) was a chief instructor of a militia in the Canton province back in the late Ching dynasty and early Republic period. I'm very glad to hear that you find Chinese martial arts complementary to you professional training. The respect and discipline you've show for the arts are simply inspiring and good example to many. My salut to you. Hope to see more of your good work.

Best regard,

Mantis108

------------------
    Contraria Sunt Complementa