Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Koppo (ATT: members in Japan)

Modern Koppo (ATT: members in Japan)

Has anybody ever heard of this martial art?

I have very little information to assist, but here it goes:

1)the main instructor bases his operations out of the Tokyo area

2)it is not affiliated with the koppo teachings of the various
    Takematsu X-kans

3)an article appeared on the instructor back in he late 80's in
    one of the main martial arts mags. He had long hair and fu-
    manchu style facial hair. The initials SH come to mind, but I
    may be wrong.

Thanks in advance.

ATT MODS: Please leave this on the main boards for a couple days before banishing it to the "Other Arts Foum". I want the main forum traffic to see this thread.
    Last edited by Stranger; 11-06-2002 at 07:11 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

Stranger.

May I suggest you post this one over on E-Budo, those guys are very glued up on Japanese MA.

I have heard of the style before, but it doesn't ring a bell immediately.

Cheers.

Here's their homepage (Japanese though):

http://www9.big.or.jp/~koppo/

Horibe-sensei is a nationalist that, after seeing BJJ for the first time, started mixing his family striking art with grappling similar to BJJ. The movement took off in the 80s and early 90s, but with the introduction of authentic BJJ/Vale Tudo training in Japan, has died off quite significantly.

That's the one. Thank you so much. Unfortunately Alta Vista's Babel Fish translator only got me so far and I don't speak Japanese.

I have some follow up questions for you, if you don't mind:

Does it look like anything else in the realm of martial arts?

Is the grappling akin to early judo or more like pre-BJJ influenced shootwrestling? Or are the technique's origins from an older jujutsu style of grappling?

Does it appear to be effective in any glimpses of it you might have seen?

Is there a weapons component to the training?

Nationalist to the point that he doesn't teach non-Japanese?

Is it considered Gendai Budo or Koryu Bujutsu?

Do you know anywhere to get photographs of it online?
    Monkey vs. Robot

Stranger.

e-Mail me a list of questions you want to ask, I will try to drop by the place on my way home.

It is on the way and only a few stops away from where I live.

Cheers.

Isn't koppo a bone breaking style?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've seen some of both styles, and none of it looks like bone-breaking to me. Lots of vital point hitting, quick throws. The ninja styles escape after a hit and throw the stars though.

just curious. Everything I've ever heard about koppo has been about joint manipulation and breaking.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Yeah, I was wondering about that translation too - nothing I've seen seems to be breaking bones Still, Horibe-sensei and his boys like to mix it up on the mat - plenty of blood noses. Maybe they should call it the blood-nose-style!

Here is one definition of

Koppo Jutsu

Hope this helps.

maybe the translation is off. I just saw something that gave another definition of koppo - secret.

also, koppo ken - thumb knuckle strike - I know that's completely different though.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Not to forget fighting with a:

Koppo stick.

Chers.

"But once the footwork of Karumijutsu is mastered, then it is time to add in the fighting skill, which begins with the Horyu, or side fist, of Koppo. What is commonly called the Tsulken, hammer fist, because of the Okinawan Karate influe nce, is in the Japanese art called Horyu. This refers to striking with the bottom of the fist. In the Koppo manner the fist is loaded at the side of the head and then brought to any target on the body of an opponent, following one of the eight angles of m otion. The fist should strike whatever vital point it is aimed at with a ninety degree angle, so that maximum impact is made and the force is directed internally for utmost damage.

There is a misunderstanding in regard to the art of Koppo in which many people think it is only for damaging and breaking actual bones, but there is a higher level to the art which involves compression of the internal organs of an opponent, causing serious and fatal damage. And yet, since the art was developed by monks, there was a manner in which the art can be applied so that less than fatal effects would result. As the Karumijutsu footwork was applied, the hands instead of turning into the withering blows of Koppo, could instead be turned into the Mute, empty hands, of mercy. The Mute were used to gently push a person away or sting the person so that the pain would discourage further aggression. And yet at any time, if the situation warranted it, the deadly fists could be brought into play."

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

does it look like anything else (karate, kung fu, shooto, JJJ, BJJ, etc.)?

I'm not suggesting a common origin. I am just trying to get a visual image.
    Monkey vs. Robot

15. Thumbs up

Iīve heard something about koppo-jutsu but mostly have thought of it as a small part of certain JMA curriculum (not to say it would only exist in JMA,change the term and...)
    like kyusho-jitsu which for long has been part of karate and numerous martial arts.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-