Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Koppo (ATT: members in Japan)

Let's not forget - if you are an anime fan, Andy Bogard (fatal fury) trained in koppo ken under Mai Shiranui's father.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

ttt

any more info?
    Monkey vs. Robot

Smile Some more fuel for ya..

>Does it look like anything else in the realm of martial arts?

I would say more like BJJ with some traditional strikes and locks

>Is the grappling akin to early judo or more like pre-BJJ >influenced shootwrestling? Or are the technique's origins from >an older jujutsu style of grappling?

Hard to say what the influence is, but Horibe-sensei did note he revamped his art after seeing BJJ

>Does it appear to be effective in any glimpses of it you might
    >have seen?

I guess this depends on what you want out of training - seems like they have a pretty good mat game and enjoy it

>Is there a weapons component to the training?

Not that I know of. 'Koppo stick' is actually a pretty neat translation of 'koppo', which within old arts specifically means any small concealed weapon used to augment a hold/lock etc.. I don't know if they do it.

>Nationalist to the point that he doesn't teach non-Japanese?

Haven't seen too many foreigners in it, but it doesn't mean there aren't any. Dressing up in fundoshi everyday sounds cool His history lectures sound a little borderline though..

>Is it considered Gendai Budo or Koryu Bujutsu?

Definately modern budo.

> Do you know anywhere to get photographs of it online?

Not sure about the pix. Gakken has a video about it though - pretty cheap too (3000 yen-ish) - so if you're interested you might want to check it out. I THINK the title was kenka koppo or nihon-den koppo. Sorry I can't remember it exactly.

Good luck!

Koppo

koppojutsu like Taijutsu, jujutsu, jutaijutsu, kumi uchi, and many more are best translated as japanese close quarters combat. some with similar names might be more disimlilar than arts with different names. Kenka Koppo (Fighting Koppo) came out when I was living in Japan and the Founder was in all the fighting mags. His stuff looks like older sumo.
    What worried me is that they had the same uniforms as Andy Bogart from the game Fatal Fury (Garaou Densetsu in Japan). I had seen the game before the martial art. I had hoped that the founder did not copy the game.
    If anyone has played Tekken 2? Nina Williams secondary uniform (The camo one) had the Kenka Koppo logo on the back of it.
    David Dow
    Bujinkan Anko Dojo
    www.taijutsu.com
    "Why try to KO the guy when you can stab him and watch him bleed to death." Toshiro Nagato

ttt, just to see if anybody new has any information

sorry, couldn't resist
    Monkey vs. Robot