Thread: Complimenting Hung Gar

illusionfist Guest

Complimenting Hung Gar

Lau gar became a part of the hung gar curriculum because it suited the system. It abides by the tenets of hung gar. Lau gar's forms keep to the spirit of self preservation. So what would be another system that would best suit hung gar, considering all of it's advantages and disadvantages?

------------------
    Peace:)

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Hung Tao, Choy Mei.

Hung Gar = Southern Shaolin, therefore southern shaolin styles are all similar, or easily integrated to hung gar.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    To me, Hung Ga has just about everything one needs for combat.

It even has the complete range of footwork, as evidenced by the spins and leaps and takedowns in the Moi Fah and Butterfly Fist sets.

[This message has been edited by HuangKaiVun (edited 04-21-2000).]

MoQ Guest
    Hung Ga = Hung Family Style

EVERYONE likes to claim that they "=" Southern SHIL LUM... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hung Ga in no way represents all Southern Styles...

[This message has been edited by MoQ (edited 04-22-2000).]

illusionfist Guest
    Any northern styles perhaps?? Perhaps internal?

Peace out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

HuangKaiVun Guest
    See my above post for "Northern Styles".

As far as "internal", you've got the Iron and Silk Tiet Sin set, which is one of the most famous and effective sets for training "internal" kung fu.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    I know this post has gone kind of un-read for a while but here's my two cents.
    If I were going to add anything to Hung gar it'd be "putting back" the rest of the 5 animals into the style, either through some other 5 animal style or just purely understanding the theories behind each animal.
    Everyone knows that the tiger has power & those tiger claws. The crane has fluidity, long reach, and those crane punches. But the rest of the 5 animals don't seem to have enough emphasis (from the small amount that i've seen of the 5 animals form).

The leopard is light on his feet and fast; the leopard is known for muscle strength (unlike the tiger which is supposed to be bone strength), and known for their ability to jump. When I think of a leopard I think fast-fast hands, fluidity, and some high kicks- not too much unlike Northern Shaolin.

The snake is fluid and quick, the snake also contains ground techniques. The first school I studied at (Green Dragon 5animal & tai mantis) taught 2 snake forms, the second I never learned because of a certain "flying leg scissors" sweep where you basically jump, leg scissors, and land full force on your hip. The snake also has some fast hands like the leopard, pressure point strikes, chin na, etc.

The dragon, besides being so internal, is also very fluid. The sons of Hung Wen Hsueh (a progenitor of the Green Dragon 5 animal/taimantis style I mentioned) were known as the "twin tornadoes" in Taiwan for their ability to twist around (like in a spinning backfist). The dragon forms I learned also had a large amount of chin na, and strikes to sensitive areas.

Dang, now I kinda wanna go back and finish my old cirriculum.

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Sadly, with the 5 animals, there actually isnt that much to each animal.

There are only a few moves and ideas associated with each animal.

When you have specific animal styles, like Snake Style, or tiger styles, then you have more creativity and improvisation. Also more generic kung fu (lohan, southern, etc.) added in to help round off the style.