Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Endurance Training Not Weight Lifting

Self-Thinking Follower Guest
    Sam, It was late, but yes I did think for a second and then I responded to what bothered me in your posts. One, is that you arrogantly speak for masters you never knew or saw do anything! Please dont tell me you know someone who knows....etc.....etc. We all do. Second, you state you havent seen any modern masters reach the level of old masters....Back to ONE....which old masters did you personally see or know? Next, how could you put down modern (conventional as you called it) methods are you not American, or are chinese the only ones who know how to develop? Can you prove these methods, in lets say the UFC, or are they too deadly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I think Cung Le with his aerobics,running, weightlifting and conventional training could whip your ***. As for my fat ***, believe me in 30+ years of this, I know what it takes to go 15 rounds! and for your information, aerobics, running and weight training has been used traditionally for years before our time. Please note that one of Lam Sangs own students, always said he had to take the guy out fast, because he COULD'NT go 15 rounds! If my posts go off subject its because I know who you are, your writing doesnt change, also your teacher or ex-teacher of Jook Lum, trained his *** off with weights, and could do some amazing stuff with them. Yes, I met him and know him from the 70's. Also I think you fantasize too much about all this internal/external, possibly you cant except that no matter what system you jump to next, it still doesnt materialize. Let me tell you a secret, inner peace is knowing that Tai Chi, Bagua, Hsing I, Wing Chun, Jook Lum, and even Goju-ryu practitioners dont outlive the average healthy American....Nuff Said!

Sam Guest
    Hello my friend it's good to hear from you. First of all I'm am not being arrogant just believe strongly in my opinion. Second UFC only brought to light how modern "blackbelt masters" are living in a fantasy world. Thirdly I never said modern training was invalid only that traditional training can not only match it but surpass it. It's also very funny that your taking this stand being that I know you do ONLY traditional training or does it bother you that it's me talking. As far as seeing masters do incredible things I've seen my share including you but you still don't know me.
    PS: Lam Sang was over 80 and Meitoku Yagi is over 90

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 04-24-2000).]

Kung Lek Guest
    Shaolin Monks in their martial regimen (according to surviving texts of henan temple circa 1400's) used not only set repetition but a variety of weight training augmentation exercises to increase their musculature and physical strength.
    They also would run on a daily basis often times carying heavy packs, pulling heavy carts, carrying water or even using arm weights while practicing set repitition.

Even today heavily weighted "training" weaponry exists in many styles of martial arts as well as iron and brass ring weights used in training.

I completely agree with the "modern times, modern methods" statement.

Balancing a training regimen that improves your overall physique, stamina, endurance and intestinal fortitude is the best thing you can do for yourself if you do it right.

Peace

------------------
    Kung Lek

IronBuddha Guest
    >>To develop kicks that will knock your sparring opponent backward, you need to moderate your aerobic training and specifically develop the high intensity, anaerobic system.

You need some aerobic capacity, that is certain. But the ability to end a street fight in a few seconds or even last several rounds in sparring does not require an ability to run five miles.

Instead, you should perform some form of aerobic training for 20 minutes in duration, 3 to 4 times per week, at approximately 70% of your maximum heart rate (220 minus your age). Then, with the time that you may have previously spent in endurance training, train your high-intensity, powerful energy system.

One way to do this is with resistance training in the form of squats or lunges. To develop maximum force and power, you will want to cycle through a training plan that leads you to eventually performing sets with a high load (weight) and few repetitions. This type of training will develop the explosiveness of your kicks, the type that ends a street fight in a matter of seconds.

....or you could just do your stances.

------------------
    'instead of resting your legs, you should be standing up. instead of folding your hands you should be giving them out. instead of turning your back, you should be showing your face. why do you walk away?' --.hwm.