Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dit Da Jow

Dit Da Jow

Why does it work? What is it doing to me? Why does it smell so bad?
    strike!

I'd like to add a question.

Any recipes out there? I need standard pinyin names for herbs or proper latin so I can look them up and get the Chiense names. I live in China and want to make a batch.

Hi..

In short it helps break uip stagnation of blood and Chi in the area.

Why does it smell, taste, look so bad...b'cause it comes from natural plants with no intentions of being madicinal on there own. (hehe)

As for a standard recipie, try

http://www.chusaulei.com/health/006_jow.html

Thanks!

David

Dit Da 'pushes the blood' - meaning it removes the blood stagnation (i.e. bruises).

Here are some recipes: http://www.kumojiujitsu.com/jow_recipe.html.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Good recipes but as it says in the article I referenced, you cannot really go by a standard formula.

Find an herbalist who can help adjust it.

David

Mckind 13 - Dit Da Jow

Try Brian Gray's Jow. I have heard from other Herbalist that his jow is one that is balanced and very theraputic. Have a good day.
    xiaotiema

omarthefish

I have about 7 recipes of jow, if you are interested just e-mail me and I would be more than happy to send one to you.

Just to be a fly in the ointment. There's also sort of a placebo effect like the old yellow triaminic. This is so discusting that I had better get well so I don't have to take it again.
    I'm only half joking.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

azwingchun,

I'd love recipes.

To those who suggested web links,

I repeat: I need standard pinyin names for herbs or proper latin so I can look them up and get the Chinese names.

I am good at websurfing to find this stuff on my own but just on the English language sites. I live in CHINA and if I can't figure out the actual authentic Chinese names I can't buy the stuff. Ordering inline and having stuff shipped is also problematic. When I lived in the States I used to buy the little bottles my Sifu made himself. My current Sifu doesn't make dit da jow.

Why does it work? What is it doing to me? Why does it smell so bad?

Don't know. It is disbursing stagnant qi and speeding healing of minor traumas. All Chinese medicine smells bad. (I like the smell actually)

p.s.

I've already got the recipe from http://www.wingchun.org/text/misc/jow.html

On my own I figured out the Chinese for most of the herbs but am still stuck on 2 of them.

Artemesia and Catechu.

The pinyin is accurate but there is still the matter of tones.

Cool Omarthefish - Dit Da Jow Herbs

Chinese for Artemesia/Anomala (Herba Artemisiae Anomalae) is liu ji nu. This herb dispels blood stasis and alleviates pain. The Chinese for Catechu (Pasta Acaciae seu Uncariae) is er cha and it is a paste made from Acacia (Black Cutch) or Uncaria (White Cutch). This herb stops the bleeding of external injuries. Hope this helps.
    xiaotiema

Nexus

I just sent you 2 recipes, if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks guys.

azwingchun, I always seem to get the most help on dit da jow from wingchun guys. Thank you.

dfe****o,
    The additional info is helpfull but without tones, the pinyin you gave me is still not enough. I wasn't able to find the characters in any of the several dictionaries I own or in my computer software. Fortunately a local physician helped me figure out the last two.

Intersting thing about one of the formulas. I bought all the ingredients but one yesterday for the following formula:

BORNEAL = 񗒪
    CARTHAMUS = ºì»¨
    CINNIBAR = ÖìÉ°
    CIRSIUM = ´ó¼»
    DRAGONSBLOOD = Ѫ½ß
    MASTIC = ÈéÏã £¨AKA FRANKINSENSE£©
    MUSK = ÷êÏã
    MYRHH =Ä©Ò©
    PINELLIA = Ê£°ëÏÄ

ARTEMESIA = Áõ¼ÄÅ«C
    ATECHA = ¶ù²è

Musk or 'shexiang' is REALLY expensive and hard to find. I spent 27 yuan or about 3 dollars on the rest of them. The Doctor warned me that if I find 'shexiang' being sold at some larger herb shop I should be prepared to spend 2 or 3 hunder yuan just for 1 gram ! ! ! That's about 30$ / gram ! This stuff costs more than humbolt's finest herb ! He said it was a key ingredient as it is what helps the medicine penetrate.

Oh, well. I've got some shopping to do.

p.s. If your browser has a bunch of gobbledygook next to the herb names above it's probably because it cant recognize the Chinese font I used.

omarthefish

If you want a great book for Chinese herbs and their medicinal properties you should get Chinese English Manual of Common-Used in Traditional Medicine , THE ISBN 7-5359-2419-0.