Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about eating beef

Question about eating beef

About 4 years ago, I gave up eating red meat for various reasons. I had heard a lot of stuff about how red meat is the hardest thing for your body to digest, how pieces of it remain in your intestines forever, etc. I still ate meat (poultry, fish, pork, etc.), just not red meat (cow).

Anyway, this went on for like 4 years, and every once in a while I'd eat something with beef in it (like once a year or so).

So, a few weeks ago I went to lunch with some friends in between classes and we went to Wendy's. I decided it was time for some beef again so I had two double cheese burgers and some chicken nuggets (not beef, but only $.99!). Now, for me, this is NOT an overly large meal or anything. In fact, it's quite normal sized. But I remember for the rest of the day I was so exhausted.

Today, I ate the same thing for lunch, and I'm so freaking tired tonight it's not even funny.

Two factors, however. I did have a hard workout two days ago, and it was my first weight lifting session in 9 days or so, so that might account for part of my fatigue, but it was TWO days ago so I'm thinking not really.

So do you think it's the beef that I ate? Is my body like "oh crap!" because it's having to digest something that I haven't eaten in a while, and is the stuff in the first paragraph true? (that it's hard to digest?).

I just think it's weird that two random days when I have two double cheese burgers I get incredibly exhausted as the day goes on.

What do you think?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Red meat is very hard to digest, and people in the west eat way too much. I've heard that most westerners have anything up to a kilo (2.2lbs) of undigested red meat coccooned in a muscous membrane in their gut because the body can't process it.

So red meat rarely (once every week or two at most) is plenty.

As for making you tired, I dunno. Maybe.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

It's probably got more to do with the fact that you ate two double cheeseburgers rather than the fact that you ate a beef product. Go and treat yourself to a big, juicy steak and see how that goes.

I'm sure beef does take a big longer to digest than the other foods you mentioned and due to the fact that your body ain't used to it, this may cause your drowsiness. But, the cheeseburgers will probably cause more problems than anything else.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

What's the problem with cheese burgers? I eat pizza all the time so I assume cheese burgers aren't much worse.

IronFist

iron -- you're just too fat, admit it.

" i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.

IronFist

iron: dont have as much detail as u for things, but i have noticed eating certian things do make me feel a little more sluggish and tired than others...

as for beef: im a student so no way can i afford steak! and i wouldnt call a double cheeseburger beef either

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Re: Question about eating beef

Originally posted by IronFist
    . I had heard a lot of stuff about how red meat is the hardest thing for your body to digest, how pieces of it remain in your intestines forever, etc.

Er?

Well hell Iron, I don't know. To bad Inic isn't here, he'd have something to say about this. Honestly this sounds like one of the questions I'd ask you I'm gonna go with taoboy on this one though. Last year before a game I had two big macks (which isn't a large meal for me either) and I felt like crap the whole game! probably my worst game of the year. From what I know those big macks and such have so much crap in them that the make you quite bloted and can be hard to diggest. However, I like a good hamburger now and then, and these things don't seem to affect me. As for beef staying in your system forever, well... nah, I don't think so. I have heard that FOR SOME PEOPLE, it can line the walls of there intestines and they can go on these programs and crap it all out in one two foot long log. I think Ford Perfect brought out on the other forum that fiber is key here.
    I am nothing.

one two foot long log

im sorry but that just scared the crap outta me

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I've never had a wendy's burger. usually when I tell people that, they are like , but it's true.

Anyway, as for your question, I had a similar experience. I gave up greasy and fattening foods - pizza, burgers, fries, etc. I've since started eating them again, but went without for a few years. One summer I went to visit my cousin and while I was there, I had some KFC. I got sick as a dog. my guess was that the greasy food made me sick since I wasn't used to it. the next night, I got kfc again, from a different location - I got sick again. I think you not eating beef for a while may have something to do with your tiredness.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by IronFist
    What's the problem with cheese burgers? I eat pizza all the time so I assume cheese burgers aren't much worse.

IronFist
    Saturated fat and processed sugar.
    These are worse for the body than beef.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Originally posted by SevenStar
    I've never had a wendy's burger.

Yeah man, kfc will kill ya!
    I am nothing.

The tired effect is less related to how hard it is to digest beef and more related to the relative protein/complex/simple carbohydrate balance of your meal.

but cheeseburgers are vegetarian arent they

why Mcelse would I recycle old Paper ?

No seriously, high oil content makes it difficult to break down so a lot of energy is stuck in your gut trying to break it down. Maybe that is why, hehehe and the preservative is probly making it even harder.
    Last edited by prana; 11-08-2002 at 01:25 AM.

too much gas dude...
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free