View Poll Results: Why did you take up a martial art.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%
  • Physical well-being

2 9.52%
  • Spiritual/Mental well-being

6 28.57%
  • Self defence

8 38.10%
  • Other

5 23.81%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why are there so few posts on fighting here?

jon

"People will frequently argue and bicker over interpretation and generaly seem more interested in proving others wrong than actualy providing factual information."

While visiting forums on programming, that quote came to mind. Those forums tend to be full of useful information as a result of there being little room for interpretation or distortion of facts. It works or it doesn't, and anybody can code and prove it. The few times they do degenerate are when subjective topics, such as Microsofts takeovers and support for java, based on opinion, are discussed. So maybe constructive discussion on self defense, in this forum at least, will be a pipe dream for a while.

Ego_Extrodinaire

I respect your opinion, but these results can hardly be considered valid, we've got an insanely small sample group about which we know nothing other than they frequent this forum. To take these as a basis from which to construct an argument and draw such startling conclusions seems a bit naive.

Assuming you're correct... Why, from what you've seen, if not for self defense, do people choose martial arts, above all other available pastimes, to fulfill their needs?
    Last edited by Excession; 11-10-2002 at 12:29 PM.
    Michael

I like to think of it as the positive aspect of negative thinking.

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words

Ego is a fake, Excession.

He's challenged me repeatedly, but I can't find him.

I've given him my address so that he can come get me, and still nobody has shown. Nobody will either.

If you look hard enough, Excession, there is a small community of fighters out there.

Keep your eyes out for posts by myself, Tentigers, Sifuabel, theblacktaoist, maoshan, draco, rogue, and Sam Wiley.

Those men are professional kung fu men and actually TRAIN AND FIGHT daily.

HuangKaiVun

Honestly friend you belong in a comic book.

"Keep your eyes out for posts by myself"
    "Those men are professional kung fu men and actually TRAIN AND FIGHT daily."
    * You are about as professional as the girls down on the corner.
    I seem to remember you also claiming to be a 'professional' violin player as well at one stage. So which is it now huang are you the concert violin player contantly being challenged by the classical crowd to prove your worth or have you now flipped to being the 'professional' kung fu instructor who knows where the real deal is at?

Either way your putting yourself up on a cloud is going to do little to rectify the shattered reputation you have on this forum.
    The other posters you have labeled are all worthy of being cited but i find it highly ammusing you claim yourself amoungst them.

When was the last time you had a 'fight' huang?
    Appart from trying to get a well known internet troll to fight you in a wheelchair on Jerry Springer

My guess is your only battles are in text over the internet.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

nospam
    But why is there a need for that distinction? Is it a recognition that most of what makes up modern martial arts is not related to self defense. If a martial arts style is for self defense then wouldn't most posts be about that? Why would we be content to defer to those 'specializing' in self defense. Surely we should be those people.

surely this forum provides a way for beginners to learn the right way of asking questions.

Yikes man...you hold too much stock on 1) this forum and 2) the people who frequent this place. And besides, reason is an individual path.

I'm sure your cognizant that what you might be looking for ain't gunna be what 90% of the folks around these parts are looking 4...know what I mean? Perhaps not.

Hey..yo...I've an idea...ask a 'self-defense' question. Be part of the direction as opposed to a passenger on a trip ya don't even wanna take

nospam.

Jon,

Every knight needs to slay their dragon to rise in the ranks of chilvery. Every on line sifu needs to slay their troll. HungKaiVun's efforts are making a mokery of himself. It is him who keeps getting the backhanded treatment from one he perceives to be a troll. The "troll" is running circles around him as he has backed himself into a corner whereby he has little choice but to appear on the Springer show else he be called a chicken for all time. He said he would challenge the Ego on his terms. Ego has stated his terms and they are just to hard for Huang to handle.

But he's right, watch what he has to post - more public humiliation for HuangKaiVun, unless he does what Ego says and apologizes to all for flaunting his pride. But from his last post, he is far from doing that as it is too had for a 4' boy to take the path of a man.

oopth, jon.

I FORGOT to mention YOU as a knowledgeable source of martial arts.

Notice how I made no mention of how tough I was as a fighter? I have and will get beaten. That's YOU making up stuff about me.

I have a lot of respect for you as a martial artist, as you really do know what you talk about. You don't believe it a bit, but I KNOW that you're the real deal. Even your utter disrespect for me won't change that.

So I apologize for not mentioning you. There are quite a few good fighters here, and I was just mentioning a short list of guys that had been in my recent consciousness.

HuangKaiVun
    Thank you for your kind words. I would hardly consider myself in quite the same way as your discribing but i do consider myself a dedicated student.

Look ill be strait up with you.
    I dont have anything against you personaly, to be brutal i seem to have some kind of issue with the tone of your posts. This however is not really an excuse for me to go throwing stones.
    I honestly dont always agree with your approch but one thing i will always respect is someone who dedicates there time and energy to the arts.

I appologise for being so harsh with you in the past, I still dont always agree with your methods but its not my lot to dictate how you should go about communicating.

"Notice how I made no mention of how tough I was as a fighter? I have and will get beaten. That's YOU making up stuff about me."
    * Very true and point well taken, i will not put words in your mouth again.

Either way thank you for taking the higher road here, you have at least proven something about yourself to me. I will make an effort to not be so jumpy with you in the future.
    All the best
    happy training
    Jon
    Last edited by jon; 11-11-2002 at 04:04 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Ego_Extrodinaire

You have addressed your post to me, i guess you want a reply?

"Every knight needs to slay their dragon to rise in the ranks of chilvery. Every on line sifu needs to slay their troll."
    * You give yourself to much credit, comparing a dragon to a troll now? Slaying a dragon would be a real job, slaying a troll is simply fighting fire with fire.

"HungKaiVun's efforts are making a mokery of himself. It is him who keeps getting the backhanded treatment from one he perceives to be a troll."
    * I dont agree with Hungs approch but that in NO way validates yours. Honestly ego you 'used' to have a real sence of skill about your trolling, you would actualy encouage others to think about what they were posting. This latest attempt has been very poor in comparison to your previous trolls.

"The "troll" is running circles around him as he has backed himself into a corner whereby he has little choice but to appear on the Springer show else he be called a chicken for all time."
    * The only thing your running circles around is your fragile, over -inflated sence of purpose. If he is a chicken then i dread to think what that makes you. Need i also remind you that YOU are the one who made that rediculous challenge.

"He said he would challenge the Ego on his terms. Ego has stated his terms and they are just to hard for Huang to handle."
    * Speaking of yourself in the third person is often a giveaway that something is a mess mentaly. I understand your need to create some kind of 'special' personality for yourself but trust me when i say your superhuman complex is not doing you any favors. Particualy with those of us who tend to look strait though charades.

"But he's right, watch what he has to post - more public humiliation for HuangKaiVun"
    * This is a little my issue as well, i sometimes think Huang jumps the gun a little. I frequently do this myself so im certainly no innocent. Still, if Huang is going down then he IS taking YOU with him - kicking and screaming as that may be.

"unless he does what Ego says and apologizes to all for flaunting his pride"
    * He has no need to appologise to anyone but himself - being sucked in by a troll is hardly an irreversable offence. Besides which, he has been trying all along to stand up for the arts which he believes in - no way i would want him appologising for that.

"But from his last post, he is far from doing that as it is too had for a 4' boy to take the path of a man."
    * Actualy judeging by his 'last' post ive seriously misjudged Huang myself. There is one thing i respect above all others.
    The abillity to stand in the face of bad weather and still keep your chin up.
    He just accepted all of my bitterness and still came though with a polite and well constructed post. If all of us had the same level of patience and moral we would not be having silly 'debates' like this one.

Really gokitums- kelvin - ego
    You have some skill as a troll - dont waste it all on futility. I think you know better and are capable of better.
    Last edited by jon; 11-11-2002 at 10:35 PM.

- Huang Kai Vun

PS BIG appology to Excession for hijacking a perfectly good thread with some great things to say and turning it into another internet flame war.

I guess this is proof positive that when you 'try' to 'discuss' fighting. Sooner or later people end up 'fighting' for real.

- Huang Kai Vun

This is hilarius, this has got to be a new online soap opera called"ALL MY KUNG FU CHILDREN"

HAHAHAhahahahahAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    Arhat of Fury

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Huang, why do you let yourself get drawn into this crap? Yeah, I know, so did I. heh-heh. BUT you must realize- EGO IS DA MASTA! He is the Masta Troll. S***, he probably lives around the block from you, never studied martial arts-well, that's pretty obvious, and probably not wheelchairbound at all! But he is the Masta Troll.
    We are not worthy!

nospam

"I'm sure your cognizant that what you might be looking for ain't gunna be what 90% of the folks around these parts are looking 4...know what I mean?"

Yes, that's the point. I would like peoples thoughts on why martial arts have become so much more arty and less martial. Maybe wether they believe it's good/bad/nuetral.

Why don't we post short descriptions of our martial histories?

I started in the Other category. At about 9 I tried every sport I could, Karate was one of them. Being a kids class at a primary school the focus was discipline, responsibility ,fitness, fun and protection. I was hooked and have been doing martial arts since. All of these factors keep me coming back to train, but the importance of each to me has changed.

It has always been a mix I believe you cannot find in any other activity. I've tried long and hard to think of one, but can't .That is why I posted this thread, there are many good reasons to practice martial arts, but for martial arts to have a purpose they need the correct mix, of which self defense is such an integral part. When schools take the emphasis off self defense totally, they run a risk of losing the biggest part of what makes the martial arts unique and valuable.

Do I think, on the whole, more martial and less art is needed? Yes. I also think those that call themselves martial arts instructors have a responsibility to their students to be well versed in all the above mentioned factors, so that the student has access to what they need, when they need it. I can't say I teach math just because I know division, all the other operators are just as important.
    Michael

I like to think of it as the positive aspect of negative thinking.

I know Karate, Kung Fu, and 47 other dangerous words

Just stick around KFO, Excession.

I see a PLETHORA of posts concerning martial technique.

....like I said dude, too much stock in the folks that "contribute" around here.

Most would rather blow their nose than contribute. But...guess that's part of the charm about this joint..ain't it.

All you can do is realise "this" is not reality as in the end we all hit that power button.

nospam.

Jon,

A possible reason why you find that my post are not as thoughful as before is because you have been diligent considering the points I'd raised in the past. I'm happy this has assisted you.

But remeber there are many people new to this forum and new to Ego Maximus / Dragon / "Troll" / loved / hated and are not quite up to speeed in their learning. Please be patient with them, you were like the ignorant majority not too long ago and would have remained that way if not for me.

Nevertheless, it pleased me to see that the % votes for combat rocketed up from virtually zero to 33% as it stands - not long after I started posting.

Tell me am I not good news for southern kung fu. Eventhough I think its mostly garbage I'm helping everyone to preserve the little value it had to start with. At least thinking about self defence is the first step of defending yourself in my book (Ego Maximus / Dragon / "Troll" / loved / hated). What about yours?

But still 33%, quite a pathethic result but improving, not that I expect much from a motley crew like you.