Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Ancestors: Wuzhuquan/Ngo Cho Kuen

No, Im not familiar with John Graham. Does he live in Northern AL?

John Graham

He is in AL but I am not sure where exactly. I will find out.

My Sifu did some seminars at his school a while ago. Sifu is one of the current Ten Tigers from Beng Kiam in Manila.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon
    Im sure the issue will become more natural over time if I continued to work on it over the years, but my main issue is with the wrist down versus being turned up in other styles Ive worked on (such as tan sau in wing chun). It seems a minimal difference but its caused me some headache. I suppose in then end, maybe "adverse" is too strong a word, but with sooo many different methods (like tan sau, or a similar method in Northern Shaolin), and so many varying philosophies in execution (like gwak shu in Southern Mantis), I find that trying to incorporate too many ways of doing a similar type of thing is a good way to spend too much time learning too many things and not enough time learning a small number of things.

Does that make any sense? I do like the crane blocks but I tend to not use them in favor of other philosophies that in the end have a similar goal in mind...
    That is fair enough. I was just curious, not offended or anything

I don't know if this will help you at all, but the crane block can be transitioned into by first executing the block with the wrist turned up, then rotate the wrist into the crane hand. This can be useful for getting used to the motion, as well as some chin na applications
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Quote Originally Posted by KwaiChangCaine
    He is in AL but I am not sure where exactly. I will find out.

My Sifu did some seminars at his school a while ago. Sifu is one of the current Ten Tigers from Beng Kiam in Manila.
    Sifu John Graham is located in Mobile, Alabama.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Ah, ok. Thats about 5 hours South of me.

Quote Originally Posted by joedoe
    I don't know if this will help you at all, but the crane block can be transitioned into by first executing the block with the wrist turned up, then rotate the wrist into the crane hand. This can be useful for getting used to the motion, as well as some chin na applications
    Yes, thats the way I was practicing it, more out of prior habit than on purpose. At some point in the future I will work to integrate it more, but for now that is one motion that is on the back burner =)

Quote Originally Posted by Normski
    In reply to your last question,all I can say ,is that it is from
    GM Chee lineage,unfortunately I ,which might sound strange ,is that
    I do not have his permission to name him over the internet,
    I train with one of his senior students. NORMSKI
    You're teacher's not Yap Leong is it?

Five Ancestors Fists

Hi

I am new to this forum and was wondering if there are any Five Ancestors Fists followers out there?

Regards

Ive dabbled in 5 Ancestor Fist; a good system.

excellent, where did you train?...what else have you studied?

Me. Is that you Peter?

no, its alan from england.

Hello Alan. I have trained in Wuzuquan for quite a while now. Are you a student of Sifu Han's?

yeah, we spoke last year on my forum at Kixx?!...

I live in the north west near Blackpool.

Been with Kim Han since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by wuzuquan
    excellent, where did you train?...what else have you studied?
    I trained here in Northern AL, only long enough to learn (NOT get good at) the material from sanzhan and 20 punches, at a time when there was really no other option for instruction. I abandoned most of the wuzuquan principles when my jook lum teacher became available as they were somewhat counterproductive to some of the principles in jook lum (for example, the pivoting of the foot used in power generation). However, I have since found that alot of the wuzuquan formwork and principles can be "adapted" to fit into the SPM paradigms and find that things like the form catchings from wuzuquan are a good tool to continue pracitcing.

Have studied lots of other systems/styles; currently (and hopefully forever and always), Jook Lum Praying Mantis and Inosanto/Lacosta Kali/Escrima.

Who did u study with?