Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Ancestors: Wuzhuquan/Ngo Cho Kuen

Originally posted by pitbull
    can u please trace the lineage of boni lim? he might as well came from manila if im not mistaken...we may have trained from the same master....
    He is one of the last student of late Tan Ka Hong and he is sihing to Alex Co. You can find him in Alex Co's book. He is Beng Kiam and currently teaching in New Jersey.
    Guan Yu, the God of Chinese martial arts.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Signiture technique

A 1 inch punch to the heart -----
    A heart stopping blow, this ain't know dim mak dude

2. Going to KL in Malaysia next sat

Hi, this is the first time ever that I´m writing on a forum :-)

Im going to KL in Malaysia, with my sifu next saturday, to train 5 ancesters.
    I´m staying there for about 1 month and I´m going to train morning and evening everyday, seniortraning is on sundays so I hope I get to train some catching hands then :-)

My sifu is gonna cal YCH also and he´s probebly there for a while at the same time so I´ll try to train a litte with him also.

I just want to ask u guy´s if it´s something special u want me to ask when I´m there?

I´m no blackbelt i theory so don´t ask any history questions or something :-), I´ve just been training like crazy for a while :-)

Please email the questions, if any, because it´s not so often I´m on this forum.

kind regards

/R
    train hard but soft

Ngo Cho Kune

I don't know if anyone here does Ngo Cho Kune, but I have a question.

A couple years ago I read an article by (I believe) Jose Paman. I seem to recall that he mentioned the book "Go Cho Kune" by Jose Chua and stated that the form shown in this book was incorrectly called "Sanchin" or Sam Chien. He then said what the correct name was for the form in this book. Does anyone know what it was? I don't have access to this article anymore and don't remember the name of the form.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Re: Ngo Cho Kune

Originally posted by cerebus

A couple years ago I read an article by (I believe) Jose Paman. I seem to recall that he mentioned the book "Go Cho Kune" by Jose Chua and stated that the form shown in this book was incorrectly called "Sanchin" or Sam Chien. He then said what the correct name was for the form in this book. Does anyone know what it was? I don't have access to this article anymore and don't remember the name of the form.

I practice Ngor Chor Kun. Unfortunately I don't know the article or the book you mentioned. Can you describe the form?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Hey joedoe. Thanks for responding. I don't have the book with me right now (I'm at work), but I'll bring it with me Monday or Tuesday and write out a description of the form.

I had known of this book for awhile but it's very rare and hard to find, so I was pleased to recently obtain two copies of it. For many years, since the 70s, it was the ONLY book on this art in English (so I've been told). Now there's an excellent book by Alexander (or Alexandre?) Co titled "Five Ancestor Fist" published by Tuttle.

The form in Chua's book is much more active and has many more techniques than the Sam Chien form as pictured in Co's book.

I'll get back to you with a description of the form tomorrow or the next day. Thanks again! T.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Hey joedoe. Thanks for responding. I don't have the book with me right now (I'm at work), but I'll bring it with me Monday or Tuesday and write out a description of the form.

I had known of this book for awhile but it's very rare and hard to find, so I was pleased to recently obtain two copies of it. For many years, since the 70s, it was the ONLY book on this art in English (so I've been told). Now there's an excellent book by Alexander (or Alexandre?) Co titled "Five Ancestor Fist" published by Tuttle.

The form in Chua's book is much more active and has many more techniques than the Sam Chien form as pictured in Co's book.

I'll get back to you with a description of the form tomorrow or the next day. Thanks again! T.
    No worries. I must warn you that I train under a different lineage to Mr Co, and I do not know anything about the other two authors you have mentioned, however I will try to help if I can. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about NCK
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

I have the same book, and the form is almost the same as one we have in South Tai Tzu called San Zhen.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Which book are you referring to RD? The one by Co or the one by Chua?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Okay, let's see if I can descibe this form properly. I guess I'll just type the descriptions under the photos.

From starting position bring hands low to the front with palms facing each other and open the legs to a horse stance (toes-in stance is pictured). Bring right foot back and pivot to right and step forward with left foot into ready position.

Bring hands to a "prayer" position and execute a right front thrust kick. From kick position step right foot back ending in a left front stance and swing left hand back low and right hand across chest.

Simultaneously step back with left foot into back stance and execute a twin open palm elbow break defense ( this photo shows him in a back stance with both arms extended in front of him, right hand palm down over his left hand palm up).

Pivot to left on left foot and simultaneously bring both fists palm up on either side of the chest. From toes-in horse stance execute twin open-palm downward block then high double crane hand block (in photo both hands held in a "swordhand"-looking form each blocking outward with palms downward as if breaking a double-hand throat grab).

Execute a forward double palm strike by making a circular motion while the strike is being performed. Bring right fist to side of chest ("chambered" position) and follow with a left open palm across the body.Push both hands straight forward with right fist over left palm (both are palms-up).

Bring both hands up and bring them to the sides of the chest ("chambered" position) then execute a forward double open palm strike.

Step forward with right foot and execute a left open palm strike and simultaneously bring the open right hand back to the side of the chest. Immediately execute a forward vertical finger thrust strike. Step forward with left foot and draw the left hand across the body to the right shoulder.

Execute a downward block with the open left hand. Immediately execute a left eagle block (looks kinda like a Karate knifehand block but the hand is ****ed outward more). Step forward with the right foot and execute a right vertical fist punch.

Execute a left vertical fist punch, execute a right vertical fist punch. Execute a right middle block by bringing the blocking arm down and out in a semi-circular direction (his right forearm is at his right side, parallel to the floor. The fist is palm up).

Turn to the left and simultaneously execute an eagle block (same type of "eagle" block as before) with the left hand. Step forward with the right foot and execute a right uppercut punch.

Jump up by springing off the right leg and raise the left arm. Drop down to the floor in Kuai Ma position (left knee on the floor) while executing a left downward open hand block. Rise from the floor while ****ing the right fist beside the right ear and stepping forward with the right foot.

Execute a right inward block, Execute a right downward block, then a right outward block.

Execute a left forward open palm strike. pivot 90 dgrees to the left while bringing left hand across the chest (now you're facing to the rear of the direction you were facing at the begining of the form).In left forward stance execute left crane block (looks like the same thing that was earlier called an "eagle" block to me). Step forward right and execute right vertical fist punch.

Execute left vertical fist punch, then another right vertical fist punch.

Anyway, there's more to it but I can't keep typing. Hope that's enough to help you identify it. The books also contains a two-person form that looks like the same techniques.

Thanks! T.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

TTT
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

OK, definitely does not sound like Sam Chien to me. Usually Sam Chien is quite repetitive, and in my lineage and most other NCK lineages I have seen there are 3 steps forward and 3 steps back, repeating the same set of movements each time.

As for which set it is, I don't know if I can help you there. From the description of the form, it does not sound like one from my lineage. Could be Fillipino? Any chance of getting some pictures?

Hey joedoe. Sorry I can't send you any pics. No scanner, no computer (I use the one at work, which I'm not REALLY supposed to). I still have the article that named the form, but it's in storage on the East coast (I'm in California now). I'm sure I'll find out eventually. Thanks for trying! Later. T.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Re: Ngo Cho Kune

This jose chua and jose paman are filipino. Alex co had already two books. Also there are two featured forms in the book sam chien and in tit tat. If what are they trying to say incomplete are the closing forms and the oppening forms which is seperated in another page. Where is this article? If he said the correct term is "Sa chien" it was the same in the meaining of sam chien. If he said it was "sam chay chien" or "tien te lin chien" is it another form.
    Last edited by guanyu; 07-17-2004 at 12:29 AM.
    Signiture technique

Sorry, I don't remember which magazine the article was in (I think it might have been Inside Kung Fu), or the title of the article.

I believe Jose Paman is from the same lineage as Alexander Co. I don't recall seeing anyone commenting about the forms in Mr. Co's book, so far as I know those are correct.

The form that was named incorrectly is the one in Jose Chua's book. I think he also learned from the "Beng Kiam" school like Mr. Co ( I don't know this for sure, but the back pages of Mr. Chua's book contain photos of students and instructors from Beng Kiam school). I don't know why Mr. Chua would incorrectly identify the form in his book as Sam Chien, it looks VERY different from the form most others know by that name.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

I think Jose Chua modified the form and created a kuntao.
    Signiture technique