Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chi Sau tech question?

Sihing73 Guest
    flavour54,

I would just like to stress once again that there was no intended offense to you. Just like in life we all must crawl before we walk and run, Wing Chun will require some getting used to. Some things will not work until one has put in many hours of practice and even then some things will not work as well for you as for your seniors or others. The important point I always try to get across is that you must internalize the art and make it yours. In this way you will find yourself able to do many things and the art will not fail you.

I may get to visit Australia one day as there are several good Wing Chun people there I would love to meet. Although I do not percieive this happenign anythime soon.

As far as not asking you Sifu everything I think that can be a wise course of action in some respects. Your Sifu can put you on the path but you have to walk it. Still, if you need help then there is nothing wrong with asking either your Sifu or Sihings.

In any event I again wish you well in your training.

Peace,

Dave

Highlander Guest
    flavour54 ..... I agree with you about the 1-2 combination, but as I mentioned before, if a person is throwing rapid combinations then I wouldn't want to go to the inside at all. However, if you notice that the person is just throwing two punch combinations try this. Tan the first strike, pak the second, then strike with the heel palm strike. This would all be done with the same hand. We do a drill where we put one arm behind our backs as if it were injured and just fight with the one hand. This teaches us to flow from one technique into another without retracting our hand. When people get into the habit of alternating hands sometimes they also get into the habit of retracting the hand not being use in preparation for the next movement. In Wing Chun we learn to strike or block from where ever we are. Off the subject of Pak Sao, here are a couple of other one hand combinations I like.

1) Rt Tan inside against the left punch, Rt Hind Sao against the right punch to get to the outside, Rt inside whip to punch over the right arm and strike the face

2) Rt Biu Sao block against a right punch, rt Lop Sao grab and pull to their retracting punch (this turns them, gives you the outside, and nullifies their second punch), rt straight punch to the face. (this is my favorite against an agressive combination puncher). Also, you may have to block several punches with a Biu Sao before you find the right timing for the Lop Sao.

Anyone else got any favorites?

flavour54 Guest
    Highlander?

Which lineage do you study as (1) was pretty different to what I do but then again I haven't trained the application as to what I can gather is huen sao.

(2) however sounds similiar to what I would do

favourite of mine is Right lap sao on first punch(if you're feeling pretty confident),
    stomp on knee simultaneos to first lap sao, or alternatively punch into jaw simultaneosly with left hand and using fast combinations of my own on the blindside.
    If the second punch of thiers does move that quickly, well thier off balance till I let the lap sau loose
    1 - 2 is very hard to pull off under those conditions.

As much as I respect you guys that will more than likely the first and last favourite technique I ever discuss on the net as I don't really like to talk about them worldwide in such depth.

------------------
    "take the pebble from my hand"

Bursar Guest
    hey hullo

what part of australia are you aussies from?
    i'm from newcastle.

when we practice pak sau in chi sau i personally usually tan sau with the stricking hand imediately after i have hit, so it goes pak and strike, then , chop (fak sau?) and tan. this way you can hurtle down the centre. when doing drills we usually practice the pak sau moving more forward so that you can strike over the arm (like fook sau and punch with the same arm).

do you guys laugh a lot during training?
    we seem to. i know you're meant to have your mouth shut but hey "wing chun" spelt backwards is "good fun".

adios muchachos