Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good cheap san shou gear

Stacey Guest

good cheap san shou gear

Know where I can buy some for me and all my friends? We want to start an inter martial arts school club.

There was one site that sold San Shou gear for a really good price. It would be great for training. I am trying to find if I can I'll post it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and they have the URL please post it. It was all red color but cheap prices.

Check out our forum sponsors

If you have a resale license, we can give you a great deal - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsma...rringgear.html
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

no offense Gene, but that is not san shou gear

Agreed with IKFMDC...
    That's point fighting gear...
    You may want to check out FAIRTEK stuff...Kwons...etc...
    A

Fairtex, Ringside, Title, Twins,Everlast, Reyes, Aries, Windy, etc..etc..

No offfense taken

But I think you all might be confusing san shou gear with muay thai gear. As it stands, there are no internationally enforced rules for san shou gear. There might be various standards enforced at any individual tournament, but nothing standard. Take China for example. If you've ever seen what they train with in China, well, their gear is minimal. The level of protection is so meager, far less then what you might call point sparring gear. For a real standard, an international governing body would have to set up some kind of certification level and all the manufacturers would have to submit their gear to this criteria. Fencing, for example, has the FIE and for international competition, all your gear must be FIE certified. Right now, the international economy of martial arts can't really afford such a luxury, so any classification of gear as being for a particular art is rather subjective and arbitrary. A lot is determined by your own personal comfort level. Also, it's worhty of note that foam based protective gear is really expensive to manufacture anywhere but in 3rd world countries and Asia. In Asia, the standards are pretty low. We often have to destory shipments of gear becuase they are not up to spec. The smaller companies can't afford this and just sell it. So what is it they say? caveat emptor?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sorry Gene, I'll have to point out you are incorrect on this. At EVERY world championship and world cup event the same gear is used. Chest shield, shin guard, foot pad... it is standard. "meager" perhaps but it is a certain piece of gear, not a TKD chest guard, not foam dipped footies, not a tiger claw fingerless gloves... it you really want San Shou gear, there is a certain gear...

Also Gene, it may just be the internet and it's flat surface, but be careful saying we are "confusing San Shou and Muay Thai gear", some of us have trained MANY national san shou champions including members of US national team, we know what gear we are talking about

Who sets those standards?

But have you seen the san shou gear in China? That's the cheap stuff I'm referring to. I'll admit that there are standards but they are far from universal. The highest population of san shou players are in China and they use this ridiculously bad gear. They get nicer stuff for international events. My point here is that they would be very happy with "point sparring" foam gear.

Now are you saying there is a company that is making gear strictly for san shou? I will certainly admit that some gear is built harder, like fairtex, but their building for muay thai, which was the source of my earlier reference. I've seen some gear specs for tournaments, but nothing that universally comprehensive yet. Certainly nothing to the level of FIE certification. I would be eager to see that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

IWUF sets the standards, and supplies the gear at the events

Jian Xing is the company that produces it...

IWUF

Before we go much further, let me state that I'm not really trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to sell stuff since that's how I earn my living and support this forum of ours. But also I'm trying to point out a disparity in the perception of san shou internationally vs. on the provincial, city level or even village level. Actually, if you can get me a contact for Jian Xing, I'd love to start importing that stuff too and you know we'd beat anyone else's prices. PM me if you got it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, email me at davidross@nykkgym.com and we can discuss it in detail, could be a nice solution to a problem I have

Stacey Guest
    Gene is a *****. Lying to sell, isn't ethical and it isn't good business.

If you buy that point crap and go to a tourney, you will find yourself buying new gear on the spot...a way many tourneys make extra money.

People travel so far to fight and have to buy new gear