Thread: mini interview for rene.

mini interview for rene.

Hello Rene,
    all opinions about your clones aside,i would like to ask you some questions about your branch of wing chun,and life post Sum Nung.

1,Now that Sum Nung has passed away,do you feel a sense of urgency about being closer in line to the top of your lineage.is there a feeling that you must gear yourself towards one day being the head of the canadian branch?

2,You began wck with Ngo Lui Kay,there is a terrific picture of your teacher as a young man with Sum Nung and others,in otherwords you have a very direct source of instruction.do you agree with this assertion,and if so,how does this manifest it's self?

3,on page 34 of the "complete" book you demonsrate a lock,can other styles of wck adapt this,if so,where?

4,any plans for more wc books?

5,would you consider conducting a longer, proper interview soon?

well Rene,if youre still awake i really would apprecite any thoughts to my questions.

Ahoy there Captain,

Ain't it a bit early in the morning to try and get me to walk the plank?

1. No. I have no interest in anything of the sort, and I would sincerely wonder about the motivations of anyone who would. (If you ever have to claim to be something, you probably aren't)

2. Yes. It manifests in giving me a greater potential to succeed, yet the work and ultimate whether I do or not rests solely with me.

3. I'm not sure "adapt" is the right word. It's an application of a core motion of WCK, and almost all WCK has that core motion, so it just depends on whether they realize it or not, or think it has value or not.

4. I always have plans, but I'm not sure if I will. I have plans for lots of non-martial arts stuff as well, but time is my eternal enemy.

5. On WCK, you can probably find many, many, far more interesting subjects than me.

Thumbs up Ahhh, Come On!!!!!!!!!

Captain Wrote>
    4,any plans for more wc books?
    Rene Wrote>
    4. I always have plans, but I'm not sure if I will. I have plans for lots of non-martial arts stuff as well, but time is my eternal enemy.
    If you were to write any more books on the WCK communitity, I would for sure make the purchase.
    If it wasn't for Complete WCK, I wouldn't have looked into(IMHO) the connections between WCK and other arts.

This was definately a book I added to my collection, and would advise others to do also

And no this isn't some type of Hero Worship

Sheldon

Geeze, old chum!

Thanks for the kind words. They're like a bright little spot of rosey. Actually, Complete Wing Chun is a book I wish I had because I was always interested in that stuff. I only worked on it because no one else, despite the information being around for decades, had bothered to do it. That's pretty much when I decide to do something - when I want it and its not available.

We made some errors, and learned a lot, so it was a good experience and I'm glad some other folks enjoyed it to, and I hope it allowed some previously less-well known WCK folks to get some recognition for what their branches preserved and have to offer. That's the real reward.

Pip pip, cheerio!

Rene,you are a wing chun "resource" because of who you learn from,and the fact you are publihed.a new book would be fantastic,especilly if someone could gather up all the Chinese masters still alive [and the western teachers too] and interview them.something along those lines.
    Rene,i hate to do this to you again but..

1,Did Ngo Lui Kay,ever tell you nay stories about Sum Nung,and the old days.Anything about Sum Nung's teacher too would be
    exciting.

2,When you first met your sifu,what punches did you throw at him exactly.the karate form or boxing?what was that like being shown
    a style like wck upfront and literally firsthand?was it odd?

3,Anything more to add about your trip to see Sum Nung?i till cant quite believe how stylish that early piture of them all is.

4,regards to drawing.pro/anti Mr Crumb?

i believe this site and others like it are created for the broadening of knowledge about king fu/wing chun,i hope im not annoying,but i have to ask!

Wow rene,such kindness,thanks for sharing the wealth!!And a big merry christmas to you too,buddy!

G'day Captain,

Sorry, didn't see your follow ups until now.

1. There are lots of old stories, some I've integrated into articles. Hopefully, over time, I'll be able to present more of them.

2. I don't really remember. Nothing as static as a karate reverse punch. Probably a straight right or left, maybe a jab. It was odd in that I was not use to real martial arts, only in trading exchanges of techniques. His interception of my offense was eye-opening.

3. Too much, hopefully I'll have a chance to write more about it when time permits.

4. Not sure who/what Mr. Crumb is.

You're not annoying.

RR