Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mantis108- re: the Hakka style

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Ben Gash,

Thanks for your interest. Lung Ying is Buddhist (Shaolin, some MA historians dispute this point) origin. Bak Mei is ToaistBuddhist in origin. There were both original arts while practiced in temples. Both GM Lam Yiu Kwai and Gm Cheung Lai Chun were well versed in a system called "Sarm Bo Tyui" ,Which is believe to be the base art of many Hakka system and was popular in the Hakka regions (e.g. Wei Yeung), before they took on Lung Ying and Bak Mei respectively. Many novice level forms of LY and BM maintain the essence of the SBT system. IMHO, the current Lung Ying and Bak Mei are in fact "conceptualized arts", which blended STB/LY, STB/BM together. They also share students, too. One of the common aspects is the "Shock" power. Every Hakka system seeks this type of power in its strikes. Common root is not far fetched.

Yes Lung Ying and Bak Mei are both Buddhist, Toaist, and Hakka systems.

Hope this clear things up a bit.

Mantis108

------------------
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

Lost_Disciple Guest
    mantis108- not sure if you've been reading the "Kung fu in San Diego" thread on the main board, but J said he'd mail me the info about his friend's school of Green Dragon (in San Diego) as soon as he can get it; though that shouldn't be for a few weeks. I'll either post the info or a summary of the info on here, once I get it. I really hope his friend is studying the exact same style; it'd help me put some demons to rest. Also, I kinda feel like finding this documentation is going to be my last duty as tu dei of my old sifu; so i can concentrate solely on my current style, at the same time helping out an old friend.

BTW- I have definitely found the address and phone number of the head of the style in the US; it's located on the authentickungfu.com web page, underPraying mantis schools directory, in New Jersey. It even lists SL Martin as the instructor. Feel free to call them at the number listed (nudge nudge, I'll pay ya back!! hehe); and ask them any questions to find out what exactly they are. I tried to get them to mail me info, but whoever picked up the phone was kind of a jerk and I doubt they'll send me squat.

[This message has been edited by Lost_Disciple (edited 05-25-2000).]

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Lost disciple,

Thanks for the info. Glad that you (might)have found your old Sifu.

Mantis108