Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandarin or Cantonese (which is mostly....

Mandarin or Cantonese (which is mostly....

Which of the two is mostly spoking among immirgrants in the U.S and other countires.

And can someone who speaks Mn understand someone speaking in Ct.

thanks

Don't know about geographic distribution. However, I have heard conversations in which one person was speaking Cantonese and the other Mandarin. I asked about it and was told there was enough commonality to get basic things across.

Cody
    "The truth is more important than the facts." (Frank Lloyd Wright)
    "The weight of the sun doesn't keep it from rising." (Cody)

Stacey Guest
    mandarin is mostly spoken and possible to learn if you didn't grow up with it.

Cantoneese has more tones 7 I believe.

Most movies are made in Hong Kong and so are in cantonese, but the majority of chinese/taiwanese/singapore speak mandarin.

Mandarin is one of the most widely spoken languages. Learn Spanish, English, French and Chinese and you've got most of the world covered

Mandarin is the national language, so everyone is required to learn it in school, but otherwise, like in HK, they use their local dialect. All official notices from the gov. are in Mandarin.

As far as immigrants in the US, I've mostly heard mandarin speakers, though I think I remember hearing a lot of Cantonese in NY Chinatown.

what about cities like vancouver's chinatown, or the ct down in frisco?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

In the UK most Chinese speak cantonese.

I am asuming that this is because most come in from hong Kong and cantonese is the dialect there but I could be wrong.

If you could learn to write chinese it wouldnt matter!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Thumbs up

As far as my knowledge goes,there can be major problems between two chinese with different style of same language (Maybe it is that some mix better than other ones)
    It is funny thing though that Iīve read that mostly spoken/"general" chinese would be that of Shanghai origin but it seems that many are to disagree.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

interesting question... being form the UK i would say most chinese around here speak cantonese, ive noticed more mandarin lately in the chinatowns i 'frequent' lol, as well as hakka of course.

Mandarin (to me anyway) sounds very flat, whereas cantonese has more tonal variation. I find it easier to listen and speak cantonese than mandarin personally as the tonal difference in mandarin is very difficult for me to pick up on

it depends what u wanna do... if its for gong fu, then why not learn the language that the style is taught in? Choy lay fut for eg. is cantonese.. in mandarin it would be cai li fo... if its coz of a gal () then why not get her to help ya? lol if its for movies then most are cantonese but ive noticed a lot more mandarin releases of things as well.

if its for general speaking i would say most chines ebusinesses would speak mandarin as it's 'putonghua' - the national spoken language. Most businesses and things usually have some knoweledge of both ime

hmmm... hope it helps,
    take care,

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Cantonese is spoken most widely around the world (outside of China of course) and is considered as the main language in Chinatowns. But as dezhen2001 already told, Mandarin is the standard dialect of the Chinese language.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Oh, and I feel that Mandarin is more simple in the terms of learning, but actually Cantonese is easier to pronounce. But generally speaking, Chinese (in my opinion) is one of the easiest languages to learn due to its simple grammar.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

Cantonese is horrible to pronounce! I feel mandarin 'simpler' cant. has like 7 notes, mandarin only 5.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

i find mandarin harder coz the tones r all so close for me anyway. cantonese has a wider tonal variation. hakka confuses me

dawood
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

13. Thumbs up

"Chinese (in my opinion) is one of the easiest languages to learn due to its simple grammar"

Thatīs a relief.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

The most common chinese language in western Canada is cantonese. This is due to the large wave of immigration to Canada from the Hong Kong area.

Mandarin is by far the most common (by population) chinese language. It's just that most mandarin speakers are in mainland China.

prairie,

what part of the great white north are you stashed in, if you don't mind my askin?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA