Thread: does anyone cross-train with Ju-Jitsu

does anyone cross-train with Ju-Jitsu

Does anybody else here cross-train in Ju-jitsu with there kung-fu? I'm going to check out a Ju-Jitsu school Thursday. I'll be training in Kung-fu 2 days a week and Ju-Jitsu 2 days a week. What are your thoughts on cross-training with Ju-Jitsu?????????

Thumbs up

Would not hurt,these arts share some similarities and may be interrelated.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I think everyone should cross train in some form of a ground grappling art. BJJ is a great martial art for ground fighting. You can use Kung Fu as your standup art of choice, and Brazilian Jiujitsu for ground fighting. You do have to find out which Jiujitsu the place teaches. Japanese version will cover but a few ground techniques. Unless you know how to fight on the ground, you can't really fight. Standup game is too one dementional.
    MA fanatic

Thumbs up

Uh huh,
    i got the idea he was talking about actual jujutsu (slightly loosely spelled "jujitsu") "Brazilian combat wrestling" is allright,nothing wrong with that but I think it is more like off-shoot of judo than jujutsu art.
    A bit like "vietnamese kung-fu",ha.
    No offense around here of course.

Thereīs so much more in jujutsu besides groundwork,unless your jujutsu style is more grappling oriented like aikijujutsu (in which case,groundwork would still be one piece)
    Most of the stuff you can do,and what eventually should,still happens on your feet.
    Traditional JJ will cover groundworking too though,very unlikely it is though that it will become a major thing.
    But that is what we were not talking about in the first place,unless it was only a lack of clarification.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

I say go for it. working your ground game will make you more able to get up efficiently, and help you deal with grappling situations, as you will already know what to expect. Where will you be training?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs up

All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, Iīm just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I'm making the assumption that you mean BJJ and not JJJ - and I say go for it. I've recently started BJJ and it compliments my stand-up CMA perfectly. I even find myself taking down my fellow CMA students and grappling with them as most of them have no groundfighting experience. So, even the guys at my CMA school that can smack me stand-up, I can dominate on the ground. It just shows why increasing your fighting base is so important.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Don't want to bad mouth JJJ but it can't hold a candle to BJJ on the ground.
    I grappled a JJJ 2nd Degree black belt and I'm a BJJ blue.
    I tapped him quite easily,I don't think they train with enough resistance,they just drill the moves over and over.I can't coment on their stand up abilities though,It looks quite alot like Chin Na though.
    "You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

I have nothing against JJJ, and I realize there is more to JJJ than grappling and ground work (which they have virtually none of). The problem with JJJ, is not so much in the art, but in the way it is practiced. Most of the techniques will simply fail against anyone who is stronger or heavier (even against someone your weight it is hard to pull off). Like the above poster, I have tapped JJJ instructors pretty much at will. The stand up submissions, the prearranged self defense against punches and kicks, the manner in which technques are practiced (none contested), sets up JJJ guys to be taken apart by someone who is truly trained in grappling or full contact stand up. A JJJ guy will have one hell of a time fighting a skilled Muay Thai, San Shou, Kyokunshinkai, etc. etc. fighter. He will also have one hell of a time trying to pull off any of it's techniques on a BJJ, Shooto, Pankration, Sambo, or even a Judo practitioner. The claim JJJ guys make is that arts like Sambo, Judo and BJJ are merely watered down, and "less dangerous" versions of JJJ. In reality, it is JJJ that is watered down over the years. The Judo, BJJ and other grapplers found ways of grappling using full resistance to apponents. That is what puts them over the edge when it comes to fighting JJJ guys. I think JJJ is usefull, but if you wanted to compliment stand up, go with BJJ or even pure wrestling. If you want stand up submissions and nerve attacks, why shy away from Chin Na Kung Fu.
    MA fanatic

""Brazilian combat wrestling" is allright,nothing wrong with that but I think it is more like off-shoot of judo than jujutsu art.
    A bit like "vietnamese kung-fu",ha."

From what I've seen Vietnamese kung fu is pretty **** good.
    "This amazing video will cover several never-before-revealed secrets of Combat Conditioning as well as the master keys to George W. Bush being able to stand proud and tall after defeating Saddam Hussein in a no-holds-barred fight. Order your copy today. Only $29.95 plus $7 S&H U.S. "

http://www.bush-saddam.com/

Hey I'm vietnamese...and I've seen VIET KUNG FU in action!!! And I will say this...if u want to learn how to get your azz kicked...study Vietnamese kung fu!!! For ex: 3 years ago in Towson, MD...at the last San Shou tourney...they sent in a VIETNAMESE san shou playa against one of Jason Yee san shou playa...someone should have told him that san shou doesn't equal point fighting. He got KTFO!
    A

12. Thumbs up

Iīd slap myself if Iīd say vietnamese kf is bad,I never meant it that way.
    I just mean calling vietnamese arts (vo nit nam etc.) kf is equal to calling brazilian arts jujutsu etc.

-FC, summer of 2006-

I'm just about to start training some BJJ.

I've been bouncing around some schools in my City, and trying out a few of the different schools that are around. I've been looking to cross train for a bit now, and now that Uni is over I've actually had the time.

(TaoBoy - thanks for the link on your signature, would never have found the school in Richmond without it - going for Intro on Monday)

From the very little I have done, I have found it very very interesting.

I found that doing ground work was a very different game than stand up, however I was able to take across various things from my 4 years in Wing Chun, that put me in very good stead on the floor, even though I was soundly beaten more than once.

Over all, I think if you are looking for an additional challenge, or possibly a whole new door to open up in terms of movement, and offensive and defensive options, doing some groundwork is an interesting way to go.
    (The other way I wanted to go was somewhere that primarily focused on weapons.. but I couldn't find a escrima/arnis/kali school in melbourne that was close enough to me)

I always love a new challenge. So looks like I will be training both BJJ and WC. And enjoying every minute of it. )

Neurotic
    'If someone wants to fight you, run a mile. If they are still behind you after that, run another mile. If they still want to fight, and it is really worth it, turn around and beat the living !*$!% out of them, 'cause they will be really tired.'

I've trained BJJ as an occasional adjunct to my training since '96. I've found it to be a very worthwhile inclusion to my arsenal. Keep in mind that I'm saying this as a teacher of traditional arts, but, IME, BJJ requires less modification to make it "street ready" than most TMA styles as they are currently practiced here in the U.S. Critics of my decision to include it in my training bring up the very valid point of its vulnerability to multiple opponent situations in the street. To which I always say, "no shidt....I'm not using it against multiple opponents, I've got other stuff that's much better for that....I'm using it for when I fall on my ass or get taken down for whatever reason."
    "Bagua can look pretty, especially when you wave your hands around alot and walk really fast and bounce back and forth like a goof." -- Braden