Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU know??

Baby Cart to Hades

I guess I am doing something wrong too :-)))) I need to be in a room full of hot chicks instead of a room full of tattoed killers. No wonder my Sifu always called me stupid ....."Lin Hau".

I wonder if the room comes with a hot tub and sake.

But then again, look at what happened to that Japanese swordsman with the babycart (Babycart from Hades), hot chicks always tried to kill him with their sexy ninja skills and flying shuriken carrots.

Be prepared :-))))))) or die smiling.

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

a little wisdom from the tragically hip regarding "knowing"

"You cannot know, you cannot not know".

hmmm, i think they may have borrowed that from Chang Tzu.

You will know that your kung fu is good when you defeat an attacker without bringing harm to them or yourself.

You will never know your art without applying it in some way shape or form. Including, just the expression of form.

True correctness of technique is measured biomechanically and through applicability.

If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. If it hurts the attacker, you're doing it right.

What does it matter, it's a good way to spend time on the planet.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

bpkl

bp: Anyone who references Lone Wolf is OK with me. Sexy ninjas are the toughest.

kl: Tragically hip? Man, there you go bringing it back on to the topic again. Alright, you all really want to know? Here's the big secret: click here
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Howling Lone Wolf

Gene,

Lone Wolf is my hero.

You have to blame my Dad. He took me to blood spurting samurai movies when I was ten years old at the Kokusai theatre in Japan Town in the late 70's. We went every weekend. You must have been there too Gene ? Heads rolling down stairwells and limbs everywhere, I guess they forgot about pg-13 in Japantown. Great movies, great lessons of honor and bravery. I dont see those movies on tape or dvd anymore.

Perhaps that is what started my sick and twisted journey into the ways of the lone wolf :-)))))))

Thanks for kindling memories, anyway back to watching out for the flying shuriken carrots.

Cheers

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

chanbara rules!

bp: I'm a big fan of the samurai genre too. Especially Lone wolf and the Blind swordsman. Tomisaburo Wakayama and Shintaro Katsu - did you know they were brothers? But there was also all those great Nakadai films, and of course, the mighty Kurosawa epics.

Choose the sword, not the ball.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

not even sure if this message would be appropriate to this particular thread but i think in a way it does.........

i just came to realise something after my kung fu class......from the perspective of a student.....what you are taught and what you want to learn are two different things......

today i realised there is so much i can gain from my kung fu classes.....to simply go to your lesson to stretch, do your kicks, forms, and warm down is simply not enough if u want to be any good at all!

i realised that u need to go, be willing to seek answers for all ur questions.....and check everything you do.....because even the simplest of kicks or movements alone could be done incorrectly unless you find out......

i realised that many of the students who are senior to me are performing a number of the kicks incorrectly......yet my master and the highest senior students dont go around correcting every student......i think its because those students didnt make an effort to go and ask......

before i used to just watch others and follow.........nowadays i ask the highest senior students how to do things.....to make sure i am doing things right....and so even my master came over to me to show me how to do something properly.

i dont know......today my desire to practice kung fu just took a major boost....I LOVE KUNG FU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gene-

The chan is with you

or as a very knowledgable buddhist monk once exclaimed:

"bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha - ****, that's funny".

You know I'm faithful to the newstand. I will subscribe when I can no longer walk.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Real Technique and Samurai Genre

Ok Guys,
    Now I can finally tie this Samurai genre to the thread at hand, ie Real technique.

The most inspiring Samurai movie I ever saw as a kid was about a kid about 10 years old, his family were killed by a gang of killers and he escaped (usual plot). In the village he witnessed a duel between two swordsmen, one dipatched the other with the calmness of a saint. The boy chased after the swordsman up the trail and begged to learn. The swordsman scolded the boy to get lost, but the boy followed for days without food. Finally the swordsman asked him why he wished to learn and he told his sad story. Anyway, the swordsman agreed to teach him his art and handed him a razor sharp katana. The teacher told him to attack him and cut him, the teacher sidestepped and cut him in the back. This was repeated everyday for about 8 or 10 years. This was his only method of learning....attack and then get cut in the back. When the kid had grown up you see him getting into the hot tub, when he takes off his shirt his back has thousands of scars on it. Now you know what kind of training he received. Of course you know what happened to the bad guys :-))))

To me this story may be a little farfetched, but not much. Perhaps the best method of learning combat is to be defeated constantly, until you close all your loopholes in defence and attack.

I believe there is much to learn regarding persistence, suffering and fighting spirit from our brothers in the land of the rising sun. I take my hat off to you Tomisaburo Wakayama.

(By the way Gene, there is a video store in Japantown with all the Tomisaburo Wakayama Killer Priest movies plus countless others. Its next to the coffee place inside.)

Cheers my friends

Buddhapalm

If anybody is truly learning 100% of what's being taught, then I feel SORRY for that person.

Confucius once said "The teacher holds up one corner, the student comes up with the other three".

In kung fu, there are no two people that are exactly alike. The move that works for a 6'6" slow guy won't work the same for a 5'4" fast guy like myself. The same holds for males vs. females due to the anatomical differences.

I've studied from several different masters, none of whom were remotely like me in temperament and physiology. If I copied each one of them perfectly, I'd guarantee that I wouldn't find the best approach for ME.

In short, all the time I spent trying to pretend I was a 6'6" slow guy would be WASTED - and I'd find out the hard way during combat.

The goal in kung fu isn't to copy. The goal in kung fu is to maximize one's INDIVIDUAL potential.

r.(shaolin), I use Gene's move as a side hip throw.

Sometimes, I use an initial flurry of hand moves to freeze the opponent. While he's retreating, I attack and go for the throw. It works best for me when the opponent is in southpaw posture.

Like my other techniques, I trained Tan Tui Line 4 as if it had a chin na application. But when I go spar people, I don't go "I'm going to hit the guy with Line 4". I simply ATTACK and then go "I did Line 4" afterwards.

Cheng Man Qing is seen in one of his grainy black/white videos doing the same move as a varation of Single Whip, though the sparring partner Feng Yiyuan JUMPS to accommodate Cheng's lack of force in the move. Cheng does it as a side throw, not a takedown.

As far as touching hands, there are varying levels of effectiveness for the same move.

At least, Gene, you had the touching hands experience to KNOW if something worked better for you or not.

Huang old chap, you never cease to amaze me. You mention that you've studied with all of these sifus. I would like to know how many of these sifus have actually given you permission to teach? Or are you getting away with it by saying you are teaching your own conglomeration of crap?

Pick a video series and stick with it. Or better yet, why dont you actually learn some legit stuff for once and actually put some time in like a decent martial artist would do. Oh wait, you can't rob unsuspecting gwai lo that way. You need to keep up the "I am Caine, i will help you..." image so that you can appear like the next gung fu messiah to poor unsuspecting white foreigners.

Gene and HuangKaiVun
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 09-23-2008 at 09:57 PM.

i was under the assumption that the step behind double mantis hands portion of line four was a take down. and that the followup was a take out the leg and scoop move followed with the single whip palm strike at the end.

there's a lot going on in that road.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Nick Lo
    Huang old chap, you never cease to amaze me. You mention that you've studied with all of these sifus. I would like to know how many of these sifus have actually given you permission to teach? Or are you getting away with it by saying you are teaching your own conglomeration of crap?

Pick a video series and stick with it. Or better yet, why dont you actually learn some legit stuff for once and actually put some time in like a decent martial artist would do. Oh wait, you can't rob unsuspecting gwai lo that way. You need to keep up the "I am Caine, i will help you..." image so that you can appear like the next gung fu messiah to poor unsuspecting white foreigners.

Nick~
    Why don't you go and tell US all where you've studied! You have SUCH the mouth about other people.....I am really REALLY interested in knowing who YOU'VE studied with!!!

Thanks guys for the answers!!

~Wen~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Nick Lo, you obviously think that my Line 4 application sucks.

How do you suggest that Line 4 be used, then?

And when are we going to fight?

This is like the 62342th time I've challenged you AND your sifu.

I have no clue what applications you are speaking of Huang. I just think that you are full of dookie and its hard to learn applications when you are too busy staring at your Sony Grandmaster™ Model Television rather than learning REAL kung from a WARM BLOODED human being.

So which video series is it this week Huang? Wing Lam? Jiang Jian Ye? Erle Montaigue? Yan Can Cook? Naked Chef?

As for your challenge, its coming sooner than you think my boy. I'm currently on holiday right now and i'll be swinging by your neck of the desert soon.

Nick Lo, coming to a town near you!