Thread: Wing Chun alternative

Wing Chun alternative

I'm new to the forum and I find tons of useful Info here. but I do enjoy the opinion questions also. I was thinking if there was no such thing as WC what would I train. I had some ideas but no for sures on what it would be. I'm curious to what everyone else might study as an alternative.

Now you are referring to a wish list of some sort-
    the problem is the key to any art is findinga superb teacher-
    it makes it difficult for me-
    Chen Xiao Wang of Chen style is in Australia though he comes through here from time to time.
    Gin Foon Mak of Southern Mantis is in Minneapolis.
    The Great Gama of India and Pakistan wrestling died years ago- I saw him when I was a boy before the separation of India and Pakistan.
    Pulin Behari Das has also passed away- a great master of Indian stick and lathi fighting.And his son closed down the school years ago. Translating one of his books(bengali to English) has been ona back burner. Going to Kerala to check up on real kalari action.
    Revisiting some of my street and boxing friends if alive wouldnt be a bad idea.
    Revisiting my Gurkha teacher or my Yoga teacher would be a high priority- specially before the latter passes away.
    But Yim Wing Chun is one demanding female and her art remains the best for me.. So the wish list remains just that..

It would depend on the teacher I could find as much as the art. I train WCK because of my sifu, not just because of WCK. Xingyi, Bagua, Chenjia, Judo, BJJ, MMA, and other stuff all could have been appealing depending on the teacher.

RR

kali/silat, and probably xingyi and bagua to boot.

BUT, my city lacks in all of these (**** good WT school though). so if i wanted otherwise, i'd have to move.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

If WCK didnt exist, Id practice JKD.
    strike!

unknown

Ditto with RR I wasn't looking for a WC kwoon but a good martial arts school and when I found my current teacher is when I found WCK. So its a good question but really I have to say the answer is unknown.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

Originally posted by yenhoi
    If WCK didnt exist, Id practice JKD.
    Would JKD exist if WC didn't? What do you guys think?
    If you have real skill, everything is dangerous.

* remember all serious practictioners are life long students

Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai Jiang

Great question . I don't have that much choice, coz CMAs here in Croatia aren't that abundant (you're lucky if you can find one that works, as I have found). But, if I couldn't do WCKF (my no. 1 , now and forever), I'd go Kung Fu again. Probably Pa-kua (Bagua)... with Tung Hai-Chuan, if possible ...
    FACT OF THE DAY: Chuck Norris isn’t lactose intolerant. He just doesn’t put up with lactose’s sh!t.

like rubthebudda and quiet man said - here in Austria its the same, its not easy to find a (good) school...

But i'd be interested in BJJ/JKD.... edit: not JDK (Java Dev Kit ???)

ciao

June
    Last edited by WTJune; 11-14-2002 at 06:52 AM.

Thumbs up Yuanfen, This Is A Serious Question

Yuanfen Wrote>
    Revisiting my Gurkha teacher
    As in Military or just from from that part of Nepal???????

The reason I'm asking is because I've been reading a book on the Gurkhas/Goorkhas.

Smile HeeeeeLLLLLLOOOOoooo!!!!!!!!!!

Yuanfen are you out there??????

Im glad I got a response to this question. The reply about having the right sifu is so correct. I myself would have probably over looked WC if not for my Sifus Instruction and fire for teaching and continous learning.