Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bak Mei couplet:Five animals

mantis108 Guest

Bak Mei couplet:Five animals

Bak Mei has quite a few poems and couplets. Here is one of my favorites.

"Immortal(s) instructs the Dragon, Serpent, and Crane."

"Sfiu(s) transmits the Tiger and the leopard (forms)"

Please note that in Chinese the couplet was written with 7 characters on each phrase. The word "Ying" (forms) on the second phrase seemed to be redundant. Personally, I find it adds to the couplet a different dimension. IMO, it serve 2 purposes. I shall discuss it below.

Let's take them apart:

Immortals: this shows the Taoist origin of the style and implies also the metaphysical facet of the art.

The Five animals:

Dragon is majestic in its "Shan" the perceptive spirit. (Feel your opponent)

Serpent is venomous in its "Sum" heart/mind.
    (Calculate your options)

Crane is airborn/graceful in its "Yi" the intent. (Dominate the fight at will)

The above show the metaphysical aspects and internal nature of the style.

Tiger is tyranious in its "Lik" the strength.
    (Command your opponent's respect)

leopard is fierce in its "Sai" the determination/dispositions.
    (strike terror into the core of your opponent's very being)

The five animals show the Shaolin connection of Bak Mei.

Sifu and "Ying" imply physical aspects and external nature.

"Ying" also makes up the 7th Character.

The coulpet is than to illustrate that:

1. metaphysical aspects and internal teaching are "the esscence" and is so hard to grapse that only the immortals can instruct the student when he is ready.

2. The physical aspects (power, strength, forms, dispositions, etc.) are the external teachings which Sifu can transmit in person.

If we see a performance that seems to have all the power and the right movements but something is amissed, we know that the Sifu has done his best. It is the essence which is missing. That is up to the student to learn the ultimate truth of the art.

Any thoughts?

Mantis108

------------------
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

meltdawn Guest
    Any thoughts?

How about WOW...

A teacher strives to reach his student by understanding how that individual learns. Is it a catch phrase? Is it likening an action to an animal movement already familiar? There are so many considerations when becoming a good teacher. Just as many martial artists will never expand without education, so do teachers need to constantly learn.

The student who best exemplifies the teacher's ability is not only one who can percieve the teaching, but also one who can study on his own and is open to the "immortal" wisdom. These are glimpses of perfection achieved when the mind is open and receptive. The word "Eureka" comes to mind.

So in other words, there are three things that can only be learned and developed from introspection: perception (Feel your opponent), heart/mind (Calculate your options), and intent(Dominate the fight at will).

Then there are two wisdoms which the teacher (or physical body)can impart: strength (Command your opponent's respect)and determination (strike terror into the core of your opponent's very being).

Of course I may just be trying to narrow this into my hopelessly linear western thinking...

wisdom mind Guest

[This message has been edited by wisdom mind (edited 08-28-2000).]

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Meltdawn, Wisdom mind

Meltdawn

Like I always say it takes two to Kung Fu.

Wisdom

Nice to have Bak Mei people on board. Would you mind talking a bit on your lineage? As for myself, it goes like this Sigung Cheung Lai Chun - Sifu Chow Fook - Me. Sifu Chow Fook had some clipping of his own (I got a copy from him but it is in a horrible shape,)writtings and drawing on some forms. The poems and couplets are in Chinese. I could try to copy them for you. But you will have to be a bit patient (I still owe Lau and others). You are welcome to email me for your address or even if you just feel like Chatting. Love to see your input in he future.

I will continue to share my limited knowledge with you guys and gals. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is great to have you two on board. Thanks

Mantis108

wisdom mind Guest
    see above edited post!

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Meltdawn and Wisdom Mind,

Thank you for your kind words and support. You have done me much honor. It is my wish to share my limited knowledge with those who need a helping hand. I'm in no way have mastery in the art yet, for this art is very profound. What I have touched on is only the tip of the iceburge. Much of the wisdom of the pass masters were collected in couplets and poems like this. Only we work and think hard, we could get a glimpse at the Ultimate truth.

Here's another one.

Internal work, external work; study hard, they will work.

Mantis108.

------------------

cricri Guest
    Hi everybody,

I give you an opportunity to share your knowledge which I guess are much greater than you pretend.

I would like to know that bak mei is teached in vietnam. Do you know the master who brought the style there? and what is the story of that master. what is the lineage with great master cheung lai chuen?

The only name I have is "Tai Che cam". But it is the only know I know.

thanks for your help.

cricri

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mantis108:
    Hi Meltdawn and Wisdom Mind,

Thank you for your kind words and support. You have done me much honor. It is my wish to share my limited knowledge with those who need a helping hand. I'm in no way have mastery in the art yet, for this art is very profound. What I have touched on is only the tip of the iceburge. Much of the wisdom of the pass masters were collected in couplets and poems like this. Only we work and think hard, we could get a glimpse at the Ultimate truth.

Here's another one.

Internal work, external work; study hard, they will work.

Mantis108.

[/quote]

Kevin Barkman Guest
    There is an article in this months Inside Kung Fu on Futshan Bak Mei, which mentions Vietnamese Bak Mei connection (first I've ever seen).

If you are interested in the connection, you may want to contact Andy Truong of the Wah Nam Society in Australia - he learned the Bak Mei from a Vietnamese teacher.

Contact me if you need addresses, etc.

yours truly - kevin

cricri Guest
    hank you very much Kevin.

But I am leaving in France (europe) so I can not get inside kung fu magazine.

Do you mind scanning me the article and post me theM?

If you want I can post you an old article from "real kung fu" magazine about pak mei in hong kong. That article was written in 1976.

your truly
    cricri

mantis108 Guest
    Hi Kevin and Cricri,

Great Kevin! If you don't mind posting that article or some part of it for our international brothers. I really don't have any info on the Vietnam theater. I would surmise that the generations before Sigung Cheung Lai Chun would have more practitioners. They might have scatter around all over Asia. It seems to me Bak Mei system use to be very strict on take disciples. Many (could be just a few) masters rather study the art then teaching the art. I really hope that the art will go on strong and vibrant.

Cricri

Welcome aboard. Really appreciate your interest and love to see the article from "Real Kung Fu". Is that in Chinese?

Mantis108

------------------

cricri Guest
    hi mantis108,

the article is in english. I do not have your email adress.

If you have any interesting article i would also love to see it. I do not care the language.

regards
    cricri

mantis108 Guest
    Hi cricri,

My email is sifu1@internorth.com. Please feel free to contact me. Thanks for the article in advance.

Best regards

Mantis108

------------------

Kevin Barkman Guest
    Hi Mr. Cricri,

I do not have a scanner, so am unable to post this article. however, there is nothing in it that you could not get from any other public Bak mei article out there. They only mention that Bak Mei spread through Vietnam, and has a following there. I would be happy to mail it to you if you e-mail me your address (my own is posted).

I do not believe in "exchange" relationships, but I would be happy to receive that article from HK nevertheless!

Cheers - kevin

cricri Guest
    Hi kevin,

what is your email adress? It will post you the HK article.

So can anybody post me the article about bak mei in inside kung fu magazine?

My email is chris_rou@yahoo.fr

truly
    cricri

wisdom mind Guest
    I think Im going to bounce this back to the top, due to the recent influx of Pak Mei family in the house.....

Ill respond after some thought on the matter!