Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin: Wheel of Life

I think it was crap and I didn't bother to watch more than 10 min of the show.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

shaolin wheel of life

I went to see the Shaolin wheel of life yesterday, thursday the 3, october and I just want to say it was the best demonstration i have ever seen, the stuff they were doing was cool!!!!! . But it was more wushu than traditional shaolin and i was just wondering if any one has seen it and what they think of it.

its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

Thumbs up great stuff

i also saw it, albeit on video, but that actually turned out to be good because i got to see close up shots. you are right, it was all wushu as opposed to traditional kung fu. nonetheless, it was an excellent performance that needed very little dialogue to understand the story. some of the fights weren't too excited b/c i prefer less wushu-style action, but i really loved all the weapons displays, especially when the monks were demonstrating their fighting capabilities for the emperor.

also, the different displays of chi prowess was really cool. the music was nice....overall, 9.5!

wheel of life

i liked the bit when they got the 6 year old kids doing the head flips ( sommersalts on to there head) wow!. Then they were doing the worm like a brakedancer but when they were coming back up they were landing on there feet rather than landing on there stomacks .

P.S i bought everything they had except the robe which was only £25 ( they sold out )
    its not the destination that is important it is the journey getting there

Saw them on a tour of the uk last year.

Very impressive .An entertaining couple of hour.
    Trouble being we were stuck behind an "expert" you know the type

"That wouldn't work in a real situation"
    We know that D!ckhead!! shut up and watch.

I think it was the same bloke that sat infront of me at the "lane " when i was a season ticket holder
    Mike: I dressed up as an old Isralie woman once.

Tim: Did you?

Mike: I didn't HAVE too.
    Spaced

Actually, there was one spot of traditional, but no one ever notices...

...probably that's why the show isn't full of traditional style. Frankly, traditional is not that entertaining for the general public.

There is a short demo of xiaohong by one of the young children students in the early part of the show (at least there was in the version that I saw.) No flips or splits or such, strictly traditional, but most people overlook that part because it's kind of boring... Unless you are really into traditional Shaolin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wheel of Life

Just curious as to who else may have seen this amazing presentation. What are your thoughts. Personally I like the part where they are displaying kung fu for the emporer and each monk does a small bit of empty hand forms.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I saw it from the front row by on the side. Close enough to touch the stage.My boys were three and six at the time. The younger monks tried to get my boys attention with facial movements. The funny thing about the show was watching the "side" show.The guys that were young were messing with each other when the action was somewhere else.
    Do you recall when the lion dancing was going on ? There were several monks sitting in a meditation pose in a semi circle and a couple of the lion dancers would give them a subtle kick on the way by. They would intentionally "bump" into each other times during the show too. All of this was when the main action was somewhere else. I think they were bored. They would try to hide their smiles when they did this.
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Pang, use the search function.. this has been discussed before.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

i got the dvd. its alright. i like the making of better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Pang, use the search function.. this has been discussed before.
    LOL, im so computer illiterate, i didnt even know that was up there, this will be neat for the future thanks NP !
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"

its pretty amazing at how many people did not see the documentary of the auditions set up for the monks to play the roles, by the westerners who set the whole show up. The form at the begining that the little boy is doing as though he is tired, then the older monk shows him how to do, then the kid does again. That form is minor hong from hong style boxing, that is the first 1/5 of the form. I know that form as well as the major hong. These are part of a 10 form set for Hong Style Shaolin boxing. My fellow students and I were pretty happy to see that, it is one of two places we have seen that form other then at our school. So many people just want to be critics. Oh well.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan

Traditional just doesn't show well.

It's really ironic. There was a demo last year in SF - we covered it in our 2004 Shaolin special and again a bit in my Shaolin Trips, Episode 3 e-zine article that had a lot of traditional and it was not well received. There were other problems with that show which far outweighed the entertainment value, but there was some good traditional. Traditional just isn't as entertaining as modern wushu.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Not for the masses at least (and that includes a mass of the gung fu com. too).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I personally like the fact that traditional styles are not as popular. It keeps my school from being to overpopulated. Granted we do incorporate some modern Wushu into our training (for acrobatic purposes) but our fighting stems from traditional Shaolin Gong Fu. You kind of have to pity those people that dont realize the value and beauty of TCMA. I personally can not get enough of the traditional pieces you all do in your magazine. Thats the main reason why I think your mag is the best on the market.
    ~Sima Qian

~PangQuan